Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, after my last thread about applying at the local dealership, it sounds as if some of you have hiring experience.

So, there's one thing I'm not sure about - letting on about my transplant and health issues. Because on the previous employment part of the application it asked why [if any] there were lengths of time between dates of working and I put because I was sick and on dialysis.

How's the best way to handle something like this? In some of the brochures and stuff I've gotten from various organizations that can help me get a job, it says you don't HAVE to tell them, but I'm so straight forward about myself and my health, I'm not one to hide it. And hell, at this point, I feel great and I don't have any reason to NOT be working.

So I dunno. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a damned if I do and damned if I don't situation.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
You shouldn't worry about hiding it but think of it this way. If I am the person doing the hiring and I have three equally qualified people to decide on I'm going with the person I feel will give me the most bang for the buck. So if I know one person has had health issues, regardless of how they feel or look now the person with no issues floats to the top.

my 2 cents.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that's no good. :-/

The other thing I've got to worry about is getting insurance. [So I'm sure an employer won't wanna pay for my ass.] In December Medicare drops me because in their eyes I'm now "healed." I read something the other day about a law where insurance has to pick me up, even with my "pre-existing" condition.

I just need to find a good man to marry me, then I can get under his insurance and not have to worry about a hard core job, I could keep doing the carriage business thing and working with the horses to make money. :toothless

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
BroncoBabe said:
working with the horses to make money. :toothless
Well since my girlfriend of 8 years is into horses and competitions that statement right there is purty dang funny. Good thing she's a CIO.;)

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, that's what I've been doing now. Not really horses, I'm working with/training mules and ponies and doing general farm help with Norris. Every couple weeks he gives me "gas money." And then with Clint, he's wanting me to take on some of his carriage business. That's $400 a wedding, at 3-4 weddings a weekend, plus other events like working the square. I could make pretty decent money in a weekend. :shrug

But apparantly, I've been goofing off too long and need a "real" job. :toothless

Oh and if your girl is into competing, she's spending more than she's making probably, lol. Those competitions aren't cheap.

How about that, I hijacked my own thread.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Mels, this thing about "you gotta get married" dont hold water with me....You simply gotts to find you a deal about you.....Helath insurance etc....whet her you are married or not dont matter....what you can give to an emloyer is what counts.....

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I know. That's just a joke I throw around. I gotta know how to support myself, because he may leave my onnery ass and I'd be right back where I started. :toothless

I don't need anybody anyhow, I've carried myself this far. I can do this on my own.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
Mel, as you know i have a heart condition.

I have never made that known to an employer, for two reasons, one, it doesn't affect my job, 2) i don't really require any special care for it.

I will eventually need heart surgery, but that is if it takes a sudden turn south. My boss knows of it, and we have talked about it, that if it starts to affect my job, things will have to happen, but like i said, it hasn't affected it yet.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah, but it had "explain gap in dates of employment." So what do I say?

I even thought about just leaving off those two jobs from like 1996 and 1997. I worked in the bakery at a grocery store for a month and a receptionist at barber shop for a few months. I don't even remember the money I made, or the dates I worked, I just guess.

I could just approach it as I'm fresh outta school and needing a job. But then they'll be like, you're 27 and just now in school and lookin' for a job, where the hell have you been?

I gotta call my Voc Rehab counselor I guess, she's supposed to be getting me some 'help' in this department. There's also a program through GA Transplant Foundation called Job Link. Guess I need to go meet with that lady and see what she has to say.

It's all so neew, I don't know what to doooooo. :toothless [I'm hyper for some reason.]

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
BroncoBabe said:
Yeah, but it had "explain gap in dates of employment." So what do I say?

I even thought about just leaving off those two jobs from like 1996 and 1997. I worked in the bakery at a grocery store for a month and a receptionist at barber shop for a few months. I don't even remember the money I made, or the dates I worked, I just guess.

I could just approach it as I'm fresh outta school and needing a job. But then they'll be like, you're 27 and just now in school and lookin' for a job, where the hell have you been?

I gotta call my Voc Rehab counselor I guess, she's supposed to be getting me some 'help' in this department. There's also a program through GA Transplant Foundation called Job Link. Guess I need to go meet with that lady and see what she has to say.

It's all so neew, I don't know what to doooooo. :toothless [I'm hyper for some reason.]

tell them your were taking care of a sick relative or something. you were. yourself.

But i belive it is illegal to discriminate employment due to medical. unless you aint got no arms and want to work in a warehouse stocking trucks.

·
Wanna see my
4,450 Posts
Id forget about the Jobs in 96 and 97. Hell you was still in HS or just gotten out. Those jobs no longer matter. Just focus on the jobs in the last year or so. If they ask why you are 27 and still in school, just tell them that you took a break and changed your major a few times. You dont have to tell them about any medical condition that you have. The only time it should be any of their concern is if you think it would hender your job duties or if your job could hurt you, health wise. Other than that, its just a need to know bases.

BTW, have you contacted the guy at ford and asked if he has looked over your app?

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
When I interview people...I don't really care about gaps between employments....more into how the person comes across to me...on a side note I believe most group insurances cant hold a pre-existing condition against you.(but if you want I can check with my human resources department tomorrow.)

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
arkansawer said:
Id forget about the Jobs in 96 and 97. Hell you was still in HS or just gotten out.
Had just gotten out, graduated in '96. My 10 year reunion is this year, yay.

BTW, have you contacted the guy at ford and asked if he has looked over your app?
No, I made excuses and chickened out.
I'm going by there in the morning though. I'm going over to my brother's house and the dealership is on the way.

Thanks for the replies, ya'll are great. And thanks for listening to me ramble like the girl that I am. :toothless

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
i know that when my dad was interviewing for the job he has now they asked about any pre-existing health conditions (after he had been selected as the #1 candidate). he said no as he really doesnt and he got the job.

i know that through my experience when i trained to be an assisstant manager at a store, during the training for hiring that was a big thing if they were going to be a full time employee. it sucks on the companies group insurance, and although you arent technically supposed to look at that: in a managers position you are looking at bottom dollar and if that makes up the difference then the one with the least cost wins if they are truly equally qualified. i know that we hired one person on this principle, they then didnt perform up to par and we fired them quickly and hired the other candidate. just kinda a case by case basis

wes

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Alright, I don't do well in about 99.99999% of employers, but you asked for my opinion just as much as anyone else, so I'm going to give it to you.

I don't believe in BSing or tip-toeing around the truth. I've never been in a position where I looked good on paper but lost favor when my boss could see me for who I really am... So I try to put my all into that resume/application. If they respect my honesty and are interested, great! They may actually be an employer worth working for. If they see something like a cured health issue and turn me down without so much as calling me, I don't want to work for them anyway. There are millions of jobs out there. I would rather work for an honest employer without BS making $10/hr than have to play the politics game every day and make $50k/yr. Lord willing, someday I'll find myself in a $50k/yr+ job without the BS which exists in 99.9999% of employers, but until then I'm going to just keep being honest and working my butt off for relatively little pay.

So if it were me, if the application asks why I didn't work, I'd write out exactly what happened and the current situation. However, if you're just interested in the money and don't care about anything else, then by all means listen to the above and just do whatever it takes to land the job. (legally, of course!)

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,536 Posts
No offense to my FSB brothers, but ya'll got some whacked out ideas of how to handle this stuff. :twak

I always put down "Medical" and that's all, for the explanation. I always bring it up (unless they beat me to it) in person during an interview. Don't have to, but I think it's best to get it out. I'd rather let someone hiring know now, rather than find out after hiring me and giving them a bad vibe. That can cause trust issue's and if someone wants you out, they will always find a way.
I'd rather have someone there talk to me about my possible limitations, rather than have them make assumptions without the benefit of my input on the matter.

Folks are not "supposed" to be able to discriminate, but being on the other side of the fence... if you (or I) can't do the job, then we shouldn't get the job. It's a total catch 22 that I'd rather deal with straight forward, face to face.

The insurance deal is real tricky too. I've learned from the manager side of the fence that for anything to really be a "PreExisting" condition, it has to have been treated within the last 6 months.
Not sure what kind of maintenance you need, but for me... I don't need worked on that often and usually can get around using that angle.

just another $.02 from someone who knows all of the angles involved here.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
4xPepe` said:
I always put down "Medical" and that's all, for the explanation. I always bring it up (unless they beat me to it) in person during an interview. Don't have to, but I think it's best to get it out. I'd rather let someone hiring know now, rather than find out after hiring me and giving them a bad vibe. That can cause trust issue's and if someone wants you out, they will always find a way.
I'd rather have someone there to talk to me about my possible limitations, rather than have them make assumptions without the benefit of my input on the matter.
That's what I was trying to get at, in case my post was confusing... I'm tired.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,536 Posts
It's all good. Mine was getting written while you posted.

·
Back in TEXAS
1,967 Posts
Mels,

Pepe's got the right idea. Put medical then bring it out in the interview. That way they can see you are cured, and that you're a straightforward, honest person. That last bit carries a lot of wieght in the interview process. Now get your butt down to Ford and land that job!:thumbup

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
4xPepe` said:
The insurance deal is real tricky too. I've learned from the manager side of the fence that for anything to really be a "PreExisting" condition, it has to have been treated within the last 6 months.
Not sure what kind of maintenance you need, but for me... I don't need worked on that often and usually can get around using that angle.
Oh, hmm. I get a checkup with my kidney doctor every 3 months and see my cardiologist every 6 months. But I haven't had anything 'fixed' lately, I've been in good shape. :thumbup [Other than my surgeries in October, but those weren't kidney or heart related.]

Thanks for all the replies, ya'll are great. The suggestion of just saying "medical" is good, too. It doesn't sound as negative as 'sick.' Guess that's where I gotta reframe things in my mind, I've always seen myself as being 'sick.'

1 - 20 of 26 Posts