Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on conecting my ARB lockers -

My thought is to use the ARB compressor CKMA12
However, I want to ensure that the compressor will handle my tire air needs.

Any experiance out there? is this compressor a good choice?
Will it fill tires?

I want to keep it simple and clean - just looking to run the air locks and be able to fill the tires (air down/air up - and in emergency be able to repair flats etc - I believe the old rachet strap on tire would work to help get bead in the right place if I ever had to set a bead, so if I am correct I just need the ability to put air in the tire-

this compressor will easily mount behind the battery under the hood - I like Daves bronc 90 location -

I know some here go to pully mounted compressors - but why do they need that much air?

thanks
:scratchhe

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
It's not that the ARBs need a lot of air, they only need a little bit actually... but the duty cycle of those little electric compressors isn't very high, and you'll overheat one trying to inflate a big tire, so you have to wait a few minutes for the compressor to cool down and come back on before you can continue filling the tires.

Now, doing one tire isn't so bad, especially if you have a nice sized tank that the compressor already filled... but you start doing four tires with the air down in the single digits, back up to the 30's, 40's, and even 50's... well, you're going to find that the little electric compressors don't even come close to matching what a nice big belt driven York can do. Especially if you're using an impact to whack the lugs off... even the difference between 5lug and 8lug will show right away when using an impact and a small compressor.

Just for running the ARBs and filling a little tank for various uses, the ARB compressor is a great choice, but when you start getting up there in air usage, you'll regret not having gone the York route.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bronco4life

Thanks - very solid logic - I just did a fast search - read a few articlesa and found Broncoair.com complete kit for less than the arb compressor nad the bonus one less electrical drain tiem

I have 37" tires so the York sounds like the way to go -
and it sounds easy enough.... even sounds like the cost will be about the same I will go search some more in the tech section...

getting closer .....

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
The ARB compressor is very slow for tires. My buddy started filling one 35" tire with the ARB, then used the gas station pump to do the other three. He still had to wait for the ARB.

ARB does have a new faster compressor, #CKMA12, but I have no experience with it:

I say get a Viair 450 or 550 continuous duty, and a 3 or 5 gallon tank if possible.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
I still have my stock old ARB compressor, and if this newer one is similar it has a limited duty cycle, and really was never meant to fill tires seriously. It's meant for the ARB and that is merely 100psi or so and stop, and it clicks on every 10+ mins or so.

that being said, my old ARB compressor, along with a plug in electric compressor is what i have used for years. But, with 37's now, I can tell you it's slow. I can only do a tire or two with the ARB and then need to let it cool. Meanwhile the electric is plugging away, but it's slow.

I have a 2.5gal high pressure tank I eventually plan to mount, and hopefully that will work as a backup for the ARB as well as carry enough pressure to fill at least 1 tire right away. That would make my system acceptable without messing with a york or something.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Tha ARB takes forever to fill tires. Its even worse if you have it hooked up to an air tank once you loose tank pressure.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Tha ARB takes forever to fill tires. Its even worse if you have it hooked up to an air tank once you loose tank pressure.
Well, it's not too bad, once you draw the air tank down, you're back to the same lines of not having a tank at all... the tank pressure will just be slightly higher then the next empty tire you're going to fill. Plus, the tank is still capturing air while you're moving around to start filling the next tire.

But yeah, either way, I wouldn't even bother with an ARB compressor for the cost of it, when a York setup wouldn't be too bad. IIRC, someone was even selling a York 210 in the for-sale section recently.

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
you can make a bracket prety easily for the 3 bolt alternator. Look at mine, its istraight forward. There are a few things I would change on mine, but minor details. not sure what rig you have, but making a mount isnt rocket science, and a whole hell of a lot cheaper. Figure on 150 to 200 when EVERYTHING is said and done for an air system IF you get all new stuff. If you already have fittings, hoses, etc you are golden. A pump is like 30 bucks from PnP IIRC

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all

I will go the york route - I am assuming that with the york I really should set up a small tank and run the ARB lockers off of the tank that way the york will not have to run the entire time. I read a long thread about using the rear bumper as an air tank - although there seems to be a lot of concern out there about doing this - it is hard for me to believe that the bumper could be a problem -

I am still deciding if I should just purchase the bronco air kit?
and I see that Kerky has all the goodies to go with this.

Thanks again to all - oh, I have a 1992
:beer

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Bronco Air is a sponsor of FSB, but they don't make a bracket for my I6 so I get to save a couple $$$.

Also add your Bronco info to your profile so we know what you have.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Yes, with a York, you'll need at least a small tank if you have it automatically regulated.

I bet it's the same with well pumps in that, if you don't have some sort of a charge tank, and you use an automatic pressure switch, it'll do the dance where it builds pressure real fast in the lines up to ~120 or whatever you set it at, it shuts off, and the pressure drops as it levels out in the lines, it kicks back on, and continues that cycle.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The York sounds great - to air tires back up, for air tools etc...
But like everything in life I am not sold on the york for the ARB

This may sound like a dumb idea - not the first or last for me,
But ... why not just use the ARB air pump for both the axles... and install a York for the big air needs - if onewere to do this I woul think you could use a manifold with a safty valve, and an air hose - no holding tank - no bells and whistles - so the York "extras" would be minimal (the cost of all the York extras will probably pay for the arb air )

I am assuming with this York - direct output - that the york would still be able to keep up with air tools - would it?

anyway this would be simple...

does the ARB just run continuasly when the lockers are in use ? is it loud and anoying ?

what do you think?

:popc1:

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Huh?

No, if you have a York, and you use the York to charge the air tank on the truck, just run everything off of that... it'd be pointless to buy the ARB compressor... just extra money that you don't need to spend. Air hose and fittings are cheap.

One the tank is filled, you should be fine, the York would kick off, and stay off. That should leave you with plenty of air to run the ARBs.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,691 Posts
Yeah, you flip that switch, the collar on the diff slides over, and thats it. It doesnt 'consume' air, just that little bit to lock/unlock. If you dont have any leaks in your system, you can run all day w/o turning on the compressor. I only have a 3.5 gallon tank, but i would charge it up, and run the whole day flipping it on/off, and never even come close to running out of air. In theory, i could charge my system, and then take the belt off the york. I actually may have to do this in april since UPS just lost the serpentine clutch i ordered :banghead

The York is damn near silent too, but those ARB compressors whine like little bitches.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Yeah, you flip that switch, the collar on the diff slides over, and thats it. It doesnt 'consume' air, just that little bit to lock/unlock. If you dont have any leaks in your system, you can run all day w/o turning on the compressor. I only have a 3.5 gallon tank, but i would charge it up, and run the whole day flipping it on/off, and never even come close to running out of air. In theory, i could charge my system, and then take the belt off the york. I actually may have to do this in april since UPS just lost the serpentine clutch i ordered :banghead

The York is damn near silent too, but those ARB compressors whine like little bitches.
yep, if I ever get around to mounting the 2.5gal tank I have, I figure that will still be plenty of volume to charge the ARB line down to the collar likely a dozen or more times. Which would be fine for a day of trail riding. IIRC the ARB only needs something like 105PSi?? to lock.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok thanks - I will have to go back to finding a place to mount a tank
I keep looking but nothing feels right yet........
:twak

1 - 17 of 17 Posts