Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen this new recovery product from ARB? No idea on the price, but it's pretty interesting...
via ARB site said:
Exhaust Jacks:
With a lifting capacity of 4000kg, an exhaust jack is ideal for use in sand, mud and snow. The jack is inflated via a hose that connects to your tailpipe – when the engine is started, the jack inflates. We distribute the Bushranger X Jack, which is available with a 100mm cone.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Never seen it, gotta wonder if it works

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
the idea is sound. We use low pressure air bags for rescue when HEAVY stuff is involved (like trains, etc) as they have more lifting "ability" than hi pressure ones.

One of the drawbacks i would worry about would be when you are off camber or the ground is uneven, I would think the bag would want to roll on you. Im looking forward to more info on it as well.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's the gayest recovery idea ever.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
LaNeR88 said:

how is that? like plug said I know emergency crews use something similar to lift heavy stuff all the time.

I dont know how it would work in the rocks but it might be a good idea for the sand

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Dustin said:
how is that? like plug said I know emergency crews use something similar to lift heavy stuff all the time.

I dont know how it would work in the rocks but it might be a good idea for the sand
And especially bottomless snow/mud where your jack base would normally sink.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Fire depts use them all the time. They can lift ridiculous amounts of weight. 100psi X 576 square inches (a 2 foot by 2 foot bag) = 57,600 pounds.
100 X 144 (1 foot by 1 foot bag) = 14,400 pounds.

Yea, they're definitely not gay.

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Dustball said:
Please explain, why don't you? I want to hear what you have to say on why it's the "gayest recovery idea ever".
agreed. Thats the "gayest" comment not backed up by any useful information I have seen for a while.

Those would be great in snow, mud, sand soft soil, etc. Like mentioned, would be useful in when the jack base isnt holding. Also carries a lot more weight than a hi lift, and is probably easier to use

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
its actually not that new of an idea. i know for a fact that in an offroad book i got probably 5 years ago, they have a shot of a range rover that tipped over at moad being lifted up by a massive bag hooked up to the exhaust, and it was working quite well

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, LaNeR88, you appear to be taking it up the ass for the gayest recovery idea ever comment. (pun intended) ...and I've already thought of all the responses in regards to my avatar before I replied.

·
Registered
643 Posts
LaNeR88 said:

i do agree that it looks gay..and i dont have a reason :goodfinge

but i like the idea

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
They have been selling them in New Zealand for 10 or more years. I have seen them demonstrated and they seemed to work well. However they didn't seem to sell well and I don't know anyone who has one or anyone who has any experience with them.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
They look like a good idea but I'd be a little worried about a good positive connection between the tail pipe and the bag. My luck would be as soon as it started lifting my truck out of some soft sand the damn hose would blow off.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts