Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 302 engine with casting-code E7TE. This engine has flat hydraulic tappets. When trying to order new ones. The shop says there are different ones. Can anyone help me out which one I need. The engine has a 13726548 firing order and according to the code it's truck engine from 1987.

Best regards,

Gerard

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Gerard said:
I have a 302 engine with casting-code E7TE.
Actually, the E7TE casting number is for the heads, not the engine. I think the engine casting number is located behind the starter on a 302. As for your question, :shrug

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Actually E7TE is the casting number for a 302 roller block.

They probably just mean they are different cam choices from those years depending on what it cam it. You probably need to replace your lifters too. It would be a decent performace boost to buy a roller cam and lifters and spider assmebly. This will also change your firing order to the 302HO/351w order. It should be a straight swap.

hydraulic flat tappets are the lobes on the can they are faltter on the top vs. the roller tappet cam which has more of a round egg shape to the lobe and uses a lifter that actually has a hard roller on the end of it. At least thats how i understand it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked some things before I posted this thread. The E7TE is an engine code, which was found near the starter. A tappet = a lifter. Mustangs from 1987 on had hydraulic roller lifters, but truck engines had hydraulic flat lifters till 1994. Because I ran the engine in a GT40 replica, I don't know where the engine is originally from, I can't state to the parts shop from what vehicle it comes from. The E7TE engine has been used from 1987 till 1993 in different vehicles, like Bronco's. So, the question is are all lifters the same?

Regards,

Gerard

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Gerard said:
I checked some things before I posted this thread. The E7TE is an engine code, which was found near the starter. A tappet = a lifter. Mustangs from 1987 on had hydraulic roller lifters, but truck engines had hydraulic flat lifters till 1994. Because I ran the engine in a GT40 replica, I don't know where the engine is originally from, I can't state to the parts shop from what vehicle it comes from. The E7TE engine has been used from 1987 till 1993 in different vehicles, like Bronco's. So, the question is are all lifters the same?

Regards,

Gerard
They are either flap tappet or roller lifters. There should only be one kind of each for your motor, but many people do make them. Just don't get those expensive conversion roller lifters, since you don't need them.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Gerard said:
Mustangs from 1987 on had hydraulic roller lifters, but truck engines had hydraulic flat lifters till 1994.
You sure about that, i thought the block was just "roller ready" and didnt acctually have rollers all the way to 96. Atleast thats what I always heard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts