Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for over two years for a manual transmission FSB that isn't completely banged up and rusted, and haven't found anything good in SoCal. Did all the manual transmission Broncos die in cash for clunkers or something?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Widen your search to include the Phoenix Arizona area. They still have some really sweet FSB left. The problem with SoCal is your emission standards are insane. At least here in Atlanta we have a 25 year exemption.... from what I hear California doesn't have any exemption and you are still required to Smog forever. This is the last year my 1996 gets smog tested..... and I have been counting down for at least a decade.

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,120 Posts
Jersey went no smog check OR inspection for anything older than 95, and I am loving it. Or rather my 460 with dual 3" exhaust is loving it.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,000 Posts
Mine! But it's not for sale.

Are you looking for a specific body style? The newer the bronco, the less chance it has of having a manual.

Buy an automatic with a C6 and you can easily swap a manual in, since there is no computer control to worry about.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Widen your search to include the Phoenix Arizona area. They still have some really sweet FSB left. The problem with SoCal is your emission standards are insane. At least here in Atlanta we have a 25 year exemption.... from what I hear California doesn't have any exemption and you are still required to Smog forever. This is the last year my 1996 gets smog tested..... and I have been counting down for at least a decade.
Yup you nailed it brother, the people's republic fucks me yet again... I pretty much am stuck buying an in state one so I know it can pass smog

·
Registered
1992 XLT 302 5 spd trans, long tube headers, manual t case, manual hubs
40 Posts
I got mine from OR on an eBay buy. Its a 5 spd. We give 0 shits about smog here in Michigan so this yearly testing stuff I hear about you guys out west sounds like complete hell.

Anyway Back to the point, I don't see them often. In fact my 92 is the only 5 spd truck I've seen in real life. All the other ones I've physically seen (bronco wise!) Have been autos.

Try ebay? Worked for me

·
Super Moderator
4,714 Posts
I found it easier to find the Bronco I wanted and swap in a manual, than to find the right one with a manual.
It's not the easiest job around, but it was just more time consuming than difficult.

·
Super Moderator
4,714 Posts
Oh, and just know that Ford did not offer a manual behind a 351 V8, unless it was special ordered. So if you're looking for one, you won't find one.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,000 Posts
Oh, and just know that Ford did not offer a manual behind a 351 V8, unless it was special ordered. So if you're looking for one, you won't find one.
Is that true, even on the 80-86, and 87-91? I feel like I've seen some bullnose with a 4 spd and 351 (maybe just the M-blocks?)

Obviously this is just broncos... f250 and 350 could have a stick and 351. Just like being able to order a 9" rear in a 89 f150, but not a bronco past about 84/85. Or my 96 f350 having a C6!

·
Super Moderator
4,714 Posts
As far as I know! If they're out there, they're rare for sure. I never understood the reasoning either. I think a 351 with a manual would be a blast.

·
I ♥ TTB
4,234 Posts
I've been contemplating buying one I found up here, doesn't run (allegedly has a stuck cylinder) its an 84 body in good shape 351 w/manual... He wants way more than I'm willing to pay but thinking about hitting him low to see what he says...

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
I got mine from OR on an eBay buy. Its a 5 spd. We give 0 shits about smog here in Michigan so this yearly testing stuff I hear about you guys out west sounds like complete hell.

Anyway Back to the point, I don't see them often. In fact my 92 is the only 5 spd truck I've seen in real life. All the other ones I've physically seen (bronco wise!) Have been autos.

Try ebay? Worked for me
Not very many broncos came with manuals. In fact if you found a manual f series it was likely a stripper model with a I6. These trucks being low trim were often worked hard and not valued very much because of it, so most have died off by now. Its the same situation with 60s,70s, and 80s cars. Its easy to find muscle cars or sports cars because people held on to them. The nothing special passenger cars are nearly impossible to find because nobody valued them enough to keep them around.

·
Registered
1996 Ford Bronco XL
28 Posts
I've been looking for over two years for a manual transmission FSB that isn't completely banged up and rusted, and haven't found anything good in SoCal. Did all the manual transmission Broncos die in cash for clunkers or something?
Hello Brendan. I'm in Southern California too. Finding it harder and harder to be here with all the craziness lately. And ive always been very jealous of the other states when it come to our horrible emissions test. What a racket! “Star Certified” only for our bronco. That means a “special” ($$$$) test is required.
Anyway sorry for venting. Have you tried “auto tempest” or “search tempest” maybe it’s already been suggested but that really searches out a lot of ads and classifieds.
The only reason i found our 5 speed bronco is because it was originally from Oregon. The second owner got the CA plates very easily because he lived in Fresno, CA.
Believe it or not Los Angeles county and surrounding areas are more strict and will have more fees than the rest of the state!? If gas gets crazy expensive around here again, you may see ours up for sale :(

·
Registered
414 Posts
You won't find an 87-96 351w with a manual, unless it is an early one with a 4 speed since the M5OD-R2 are rated right there at the power rating of the 351w. My 92 is an original auto, but always wanted to swap it over to a manual and did last year (still need to get the driveshaft balanced properly as it came out of an 89 and had to weld the later ends on it). Things were rather (extremely) annoying and took me the whole weekend, and still had some wiring to figure out for reverse lights, ignition wires (ran with my old MLPS zip tied up for a while), and 4x4 shift on the fly. Best of luck hunting one down, and remember that the 4x4 truck transmissions are exactly the same for donor purposes, only the transfer cases changed in 90 which you can keep your old one, reuse the front driveshaft, and only have to sort out the rear.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,000 Posts
In fact if you found a manual f series it was likely a stripper model with a I6.
Usually that's only F150. Many many f250 and f350 had manuals behind 351s and 460s, as well as diesels, and of course 300s. 302s were not standard in a f250 or 350, but could be special ordered, at least in f250. I've owned an xlt f250 with a 460, zf5, power locks and windows, etc.

I have found a number 302 f150s with manuals, even up to 96. But you are definitely right, as most manual half tons were 300s with low trim levels.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,000 Posts
As far as I know! If they're out there, they're rare for sure. I never understood the reasoning either. I think a 351 with a manual would be a blast.
Looking for a truck once, I found a 2003ish f150 regular cab, black, with a 4.6 and manual. It had a supercharger too. That would've been a fun driver.

·
Registered
1992 XLT 302 5 spd trans, long tube headers, manual t case, manual hubs
40 Posts
Not very many broncos came with manuals. In fact if you found a manual f series it was likely a stripper model with a I6. These trucks being low trim were often worked hard and not valued very much because of it, so most have died off by now. Its the same situation with 60s,70s, and 80s cars. Its easy to find muscle cars or sports cars because people held on to them. The nothing special passenger cars are nearly impossible to find because nobody valued them enough to keep them around.
Trust me I'm suprised too. Someone ordered it as an XLT with a manual and took great care of it. It was someones cruiser for sure because it's clear it wasn't a work truck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts