Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I wanted to purchase valve covers to dress up the engine is something that I (a novice) could do myself?

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Driverside is straight forward. Passenger side if you have a FI motor, is a little more involved due to the upper intake being in the way. Be prepared for broken vacuum lines and other things on that side of the engine compartment crumbling as you take apart a 15+ year old setup.

·
Registered
834 Posts
But yes, it is pretty basic and a good job for a beginer to start to get dirty on.
Make sure you don't over tighten the bolts.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
See this link: Writeup- Intake manifold removal and injector rebuild

Only go as far as the Intake Manifold Removal. Be sure to cover the lower intake ports with a rag or blue removable tape to prevent debris from falling into your engine. Remember this: T-40 Torx.

I recommend that you use Fel-Pro PermaDryPlus Valve Cover Gaskets with your new valve covers. If you really want to dress it up, use ARP Stainless Steel 12-Point Valve Cover Studs.

While you have the Upper Plenum off, it is a good time to clean the Throttle Body and IAC.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
See this link: Writeup- Intake manifold removal and injector rebuild

Only go as far as the Intake Manifold Removal. Be sure to cover the lower intake ports with a rag or blue removable tape to prevent debris from falling into your engine. Remember this: T-40 Torx.

I recommend that you use Fel-Pro PermaDryPlus Valve Cover Gaskets with your new valve covers. If you really want to dress it up, use ARP Stainless Steel 12-Point Valve Cover Studs.

While you have the Upper Plenum off, it is a good time to clean the Throttle Body and IAC.
:stupid

Also will your in, take a look at the top of heads for any obvious signs of wear, cracks in seal caps and worn pushrod ends. At least you will have any ideal as what your upper parts of the heads look like and the condition of your oil.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
When you're ready to install the new valve covers, if money is an issue cork gaskets are just fine and what I like to use is Ultra Copper RTV sealer because it sets up quickly so you can set the gaskets on the valve covers, let it cure/dry so they won't move around when you go to put them on, everything will line up nicely.

X2, don't over torque the bolts or you can squash the gaskets were it will leak and/or dimple the valve cover bolts holes......check the Haynes Manual for correct torque spec's and then FEEL your way as you tighten in a CROSS PATTERN for equal distribution........once your satisfied then drive it for a fews days and go back and check all the bolts and see how they feel, a slight turn then is all you might need due to expansion and contraction from heat etc. ..

Usually the passenger side valve cover is a PITA because it sits right underneath the FI plenum with no room to negotiate it out....PITA design IMO ......lol lol AND if you pull the upper FI Plenum off entirely, there should be a # T40 torx bolt on the inside plenum track right were the runners seperate just look down inside and you'll see it.

The best # T40 torx socket is the "short", dark colored metal one that looks similar to gun metal, because of the inside plenum curve it's difficult to manuever in there so you'll need the short T40 Torx socket, long drive with ratchet, a magnet, possibly a big, long wide flat head screw driver and you CAN get it out.......PITA....lol lol....Harbor Freight for this one....

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow!! Thanks for all the information guys. That is why I love this site so much. I keep trying to learn along the way on my Bronco. I did my shocks last week so now I am on to valve covers.

Thanks again!

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts