Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had consistent everyday problems with our WiFi and even thought about changing internet providers AGAIN.

Everyday, kids are complaining, "our WiFi SUCKS". And we've just dealt with it specially during this Covid crap.

I recently just updated our living room. Redid the flooring and I took the cable wire (which the tech drilled through my floor to run) an decided to put it in the wall to not only pretty it up, but to also add a splitter to add a secondary port in the wall so we could rearrange things in the future. I remember someone once telling me that any open ports should be terminated with this:

After installing the new open port in my living room, the WiFi here got soooo bad it wasn't funny. I couldn't even play games with my son on his Nintendo Switch without being logged off due to "connectivity issues".

Soooo.... I first went downstairs and took a look at all the connections and seen a splitter with 2 open ports. And my new wall port makes 3. So I set out looking for these terminators.

Went to Home Depot, nothing. Went to Lowes, nothing. Went to a local hardware store.....nothing. Finally said I'll try one more hardware store and if they don't have them, I'll order them. Last place had them at $4 each. Amazon is going to be your friend here as I see 10 packs for about $6.

Came home and installed the terminators. Turned on the Nintendo Switch and sat down to see if there was any improvement. Low and behold, there was no longer the weak signal icon showing on the game that was ALWAYS THERE. Playing games now and not getting booted off!! It's been a few days, kids are saying "Dad, I'm no longer getting the message of 'Arris blah blah blah not responding, do you want to use cellular data'? That was happening EVERY DAY".

I ran a speed test on speedtest.net after the fact as someone asked me too.
Without the terminators:
41.15 Mbps download speed.

With terminators installed:
125.15 Mbps download speed.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

So, is it really your internet provider that's giving crappy service or do you have open ports in your cable system?
Close these gaps and you'll probably see a difference!

Here's a great article explaining this:
TIP: Terminate those unused ports! - The Solid Signal Blog

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,599 Posts
No open ports here, just old ass outside lined and 3000 sq ft trying to send signal thru so we ended up putting a WiFi booster upstairs on the second floor. Solved 90% of the boys YouTube buffering issues.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,726 Posts
My internet is slow as craps. 4 Mbps is about all I get consistently (wouldve killed for that speed back in the dial-up days). But we don't have that coax cable supply line im guessing you are talking about terminating with the little doodads. Ours is a separate system from the satellite. An 8GB update on xbox takes hours. I started the update at 8pm last night and left the xbox on when i went to bed. I bet it shut down before finishing. Should've checked it this morning damnit.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
My internet is slow as craps. 4 Mbps is about all I get consistently (wouldve killed for that speed back in the dial-up days). But we don't have that coax cable supply line im guessing you are talking about terminating with the little doodads. Ours is a separate system from the satellite. An 8GB update on xbox takes hours. I started the update at 8pm last night and left the xbox on when i went to bed. I bet it shut down before finishing. Should've checked it this morning damnit.
Hughesnet?
I've never heard good things about satellite Internet providers. Ive also noticed that no matter what your download speed upload is always a fraction of that.
Those terminators won't be easy to find local. Coax used to be used for nearly all TV signal but now it's mostly just for the broadband connection coming in, even if you have cable. My parent's have Comcast and only the primary cable box is plugged into coax, the rest are wireless. Dish was the same way.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,726 Posts
Hughesnet?
I've never heard good things about satellite Internet providers. Ive also noticed that no matter what your download speed upload is always a fraction of that.
Those terminators won't be easy to find local. Coax used to be used for nearly all TV signal but now it's mostly just for the broadband connection coming in, even if you have cable. My parent's have Comcast and only the primary cable box is plugged into coax, the rest are wireless. Dish was the same way.
No its underground wire internet through centurylink. We have dish network, thats the satellite I was referring to. Our modem box thingy has Cat6 wires in the wall to the main line coming into the building. Router is connected to the modem by an Ethernet cable.

I havent had a coax hooked to a modem in ten years probably.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
No its underground wire internet through centurylink. We have dish network, thats the satellite I was referring to. Our modem box thingy has Cat6 wires in the wall to the main line coming into the building. Router is connected to the modem by an Ethernet cable.

I havent had a coax hooked to a modem in ten years probably.
You're not still on DSL are you? DSL is like one step above dial up, which isn't much in today's age of overloaded web pages and every goddamn thing trying to phone home through the internet.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,726 Posts
You're not still on DSL are you? DSL is like one step above dial up, which isn't much in today's age of overloaded web pages and every goddamn thing trying to phone home through the internet.
I dont think so. We arent THAT far out in the county. It may be a form of DSL, but hell idk. It has a bunch of tiny wires coming to a box in the garage, from there, the Cat6 runs to a jack in the master bedroom, where the modem and router are. House is only a year old. I believe this is the same internet the school a couple miles away uses.

Ive seen speeds of 22mbps but also speeds in the Kbps!

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
If its 4 or 6 that shits DSL. Ethernet is 8, Fiber is one plastic line, cable is coax.

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
2,032 Posts
Lucky bastard.
I figure it saves me $600 a year. Cheapest internet around here is $50 a month. People will come park in the parking lot of the library when it is closed just to use the free wifi, it just happens to reach my house which is like another 50 feet.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I have to say, it's been a week of solid performance of our WiFi. I am hoping that this helps someone that's having performance issues.

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
2,032 Posts
That's good news.

If you want to sort of have it car related, I know that having un-terminated wires under the hood can cause unwanted electromagnetic interference or radio-frequency interference (EMI/RFI). Like guys that install a Holley Sniper, like I did, will sometimes have EMI/RFI which causes problems and a lot of time it's cause by unused wiring laying under the hood that acts like an antenna for noise.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,726 Posts
If its 4 or 6 that shits DSL. Ethernet is 8, Fiber is one plastic line, cable is coax.
Looks like its DSL up to 80mbps. Though ive never seen anywhere near that

·
Registered
1992 XLT 302 5 spd trans, long tube headers, manual t case, manual hubs
119 Posts
Oh my god sattelite internet is so god awful. I moved from the city where I at least had Comcast to the farm lands. there is dial up or sattelite only. Absolute worst part of living out here

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,255 Posts
Similar but unrelated note... a few weeks ago Verizon upgraded our county cell tower(s) and without any additional notice and despite the impression being given that 3G would be extended through or at least too... 2021, all of our 3G phones were suddenly worthless. No calls without immediate drops, even txts would fail to send. Old folks around the whole county were lost, confused, pissed off and generally put way out, with many being scammed into unwanted, unnecessary and expensive upgrades.
When we tried to swap out, Verizon got us stuck in a loop... confirm your intention to transfer your number... and then they would require us to use the phones they had just disabled. Made no sense and was literally impossible. It took me almost 2 weeks with no service to finally get things setup on the new, cheaper, lamer system (straight talk/walmart w/2 flip phones and 1 almost smart-phone for the lil' lady).

I realize I'm like a dinosaur in this age of mobile devices, but just a heads up for anyone else living in the past. Maybe even think of your parents or other older loved ones. If you haven't upgraded to a 4G device (should have another 10 yrs. of support left) then you should seriously consider doing so ASAP. Even if it's just a 4G flip pos like I got... at least it works but getting it setup before being stuck in the cell-phone abyss would have been way less stress, with instant phone loss, hours calling, bitching, being passed around, etc, etc.

The biggest reason I can actually get by with this lame ass little flip garbage phones is because we have our whole county plumbed with fiber optic. It's fantastic out here in the boonies on my old school PC setup but I am afraid they're going to raise the rates again, with all the China Flu economic problems started to hit the wall.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Similar but unrelated note... a few weeks ago Verizon upgraded our county cell tower(s) and without any additional notice and despite the impression being given that 3G would be extended through or at least too... 2021, all of our 3G phones were suddenly worthless. No calls without immediate drops, even txts would fail to send. Old folks around the whole county were lost, confused, pissed off and generally put way out, with many being scammed into unwanted, unnecessary and expensive upgrades.
When we tried to swap out, Verizon got us stuck in a loop... confirm your intention to transfer your number... and then they would require us to use the phones they had just disabled. Made no sense and was literally impossible. It took me almost 2 weeks with no service to finally get things setup on the new, cheaper, lamer system (straight talk/walmart w/2 flip phones and 1 almost smart-phone for the lil' lady).

I realize I'm like a dinosaur in this age of mobile devices, but just a heads up for anyone else living in the past. Maybe even think of your parents or other older loved ones. If you haven't upgraded to a 4G device (should have another 10 yrs. of support left) then you should seriously consider doing so ASAP. Even if it's just a 4G flip pos like I got... at least it works but getting it setup before being stuck in the cell-phone abyss would have been way less stress, with instant phone loss, hours calling, bitching, being passed around, etc, etc.

The biggest reason I can actually get by with this lame ass little flip garbage phones is because we have our whole county plumbed with fiber optic. It's fantastic out here in the boonies on my old school PC setup but I am afraid they're going to raise the rates again, with all the China Flu economic problems started to hit the wall.
God damn 3 fucking G!? The last phone I had that had 3g was back in 2009.I still get 3g service here and there but lately Ive had issues with no service in my house, but as soon as I walk out the front door it's fine. Then there's this weird bermuda triangle spot in my front yard where it won't connect to the internet even on wifi, but drive away from the house and suddenly it's fine.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I figure it saves me $600 a year. Cheapest internet around here is $50 a month. People will come park in the parking lot of the library when it is closed just to use the free wifi, it just happens to reach my house which is like another 50 feet.
Family is originally from a small town up in Maine. Local library puts a tent up on the front lawn so folks can use the library’s free wi-fi during the summer.

We partially cut the cable 3 years ago and booted the phone company (kept hi-speed internet). Mounted an antenna in the attic and haven’t looked back. That signal is boosted though, so I wonder if capping coax outlets would still make a difference with wi-fi?

With everyone working or taking online classes in the house, the 10-year old wi-fi network wasn’t cutting it. The new mesh network is certainly faster, but we’re seeing maybe 25% of the throughout that was expected.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Family is originally from a small town up in Maine. Local library puts a tent up on the front lawn so folks can use the library’s free wi-fi during the summer.

We partially cut the cable 3 years ago and booted the phone company (kept hi-speed internet). Mounted an antenna in the attic and haven’t looked back. That signal is boosted though, so I wonder if capping coax outlets would still make a difference with wi-fi?

With everyone working or taking online classes in the house, the 10-year old wi-fi network wasn’t cutting it. The new mesh network is certainly faster, but we’re seeing maybe 25% of the throughout that was expected.
The more people you have doing things the more bandwidth you need to keep a decent speed. Though IME the actual speed I see on any device is never anywhere near the specifications state it should be. I have a laptop with gigabit ethernet, and a router that supports it. Ive never gotten it to connect at gigabit, not sure it's ever connected at more than 100 either. I only have internet. No cable, no antenna, nada. I use roku or the ps3/ps4 to stream. I presume the antenna is for basic cable channels? IDK why messing with the coax would change internet in that case.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts