Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,985 Posts
Yo GetBent4x4,
Thanks!

On 21 May, 2019 I purchased a 96 Ford Bronco 5.0 ignition control module, Motorcraft® DY 1077 from Rock Auto.

I received it 23 May and noticed the usual Motorcraft® logo wasn't impressed on it.
The box looked the same as what I have purchased in past from our local Ford dealership.

I e mailed Ford Global Brand Protection and asked, "is this is a genuine Mototocraft part?"
Here's the reply;
"After reviewing the information you provided, the part you purchased appears to be genuine. The OE current model part does not have a Motorcraft/Ford logo on it and looks like the part in your photo. Since the vehicle model year for this part is very old the supplier of the part most likely has changed. Also we have not had any prior issues with Rock Auto selling non-genuine parts."
Lisa W.
Ford Motor Company
Global Brand Protection
"What Is Global Brand Protection?
The Global Brand Protection group exists to protect the consumer by ensuring high quality original equipment parts are used in your vehicle that are recommended by Ford Motor Company. Counterfeit products potentially compromise consumer expectations because they do not meet Ford Motor Company’s rigorous testing and quality control standards.

Global Brand Protection focuses on:
Preventing the distribution of and removing counterfeit parts from the marketplace
Ensuring that the company’s trademarks are used appropriately
Maintaining the integrity of the sale and distribution of Genuine Ford parts..."
Ford | Global Brand Protection

·
Registered
251 Posts
I subscribe to his channel and I bet because of this, the Ford Global Brand Protection people are getting flooded with inquiries. Public knowledge and discussion about this type of stuff is a very good thing though, so hopefully this gets out there and stays on people's minds. The less scammers out there, the better. Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I saw that a few days ago and went back and compared his list of "verified" vendors to where I've purchased my Motorcraft parts from. Most of my stuff came from Amazon LLC.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I saw that a few days ago and went back and compared his list of "verified" vendors to where I've purchased my Motorcraft parts from. Most of my stuff came from Amazon LLC.
Problem is - buying direct from "Amazon" doesn't guarantee quality. Amazon mixes stock on the same product. So you could have an ignition coil that Amazon purchased. If a marketplace seller sells the same part that's FBO (fulfilled by Amazon), and ships stock of the part to an Amazon warehouse, Amazon will combine that stock with theirs. It really is a crapshoot.

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like generic china wholesale parts on ebay; just let us know it's that and not pretend it's an actual brand. Ive had good luck with all kinds of cheap wholesale "white box" parts. They actually made the parts business more realistic. For instance the 100 pack of door retainers for $11 shipped. Dorman give you about 6 for that price. Radiators; wheels hub assemblies; starters; appliance parts all for less than half of the OE china brands.

·
Foolsize Member
1,558 Posts
Ford parts manager here, FWIW my motorcraft vendor is also a rockauto distributor. If I order a motorcraft part from them 5 minutes after you order it from rockauto, you'll get that part before I will. Typically, when you venture off into the corners of the internet looking for the lowest possible price is when you run into issues like this. Watched a similar video recently about knock off NGK spark plugs from amazon, the guy actually called NGK north america and verified that they were fake.

Reactions: GetBent4x4

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ford parts manager here, FWIW my motorcraft vendor is also a rockauto distributor. If I order a motorcraft part from them 5 minutes after you order it from rockauto, you'll get that part before I will. Typically, when you venture off into the corners of the internet looking for the lowest possible price is when you run into issues like this. Watched a similar video recently about knock off NGK spark plugs from amazon, the guy actually called NGK north america and verified that they were fake.
He wasn't exactly truthful in that NGK video. The plugs weren't fake, but they were gray market parts from overseas that had been imported illegally. I've had to get some gray market parts from Australia for my GTO because they simply aren't available in the US from GM or other channels. Usually those parts are cheaper than the exact same part in the US

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good info and nothing surprises me any more.Theres money in fake everything .That why they are copying everything $$$$$$$ .Recently I ordered a distributor pickup coil from rock auto .After opening the bag ,it appeared a manu. defect . Rock auto covered the shipping and sent a replacement .Now I am alerted as motorcraft May be fake !!!

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Bump; looked up spark plugs for a 3v Ford; Rockauto wants $9.67 each and amazon and ebay are advertising many counterfeits for $40-60 for a set of 8. Be aware.

Sp546 if you want to browse them. Amazon reviews go something like this: Installed them and in 5-10k had a misfire that wasn't a coil; remove plug to find it broke off in the head, porcelain cracked, or the tip mysteriously vanished into the cylinder. On a 3v a plug that breaks off in the head due to design error (latest part number is the new fix; on genuine ones) is no easy feat and could likely result in a 1-2k bill of head removal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts