Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant believe this crap! it was all squared away until I started to pull the interior up, here's what I found

first, this is what I pulled out from under the plastic, at the bottom of the pile it is all mud maybe it started as a cardboard insulation and turned to gunk but what I was pulling out by the handfull was the Consistency of warm butter. Pic does not show the crap just the big pieces

and here is the rust

I live in Wash our vehicles are supposed to mold not rust. On the drivers side there are 4 holes roughly the size of tictacs? Does this mean I need to replace the floorpans?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,871 Posts
You could add a few layers of fiberglass if metal repair is beyond you.
Its what I did to my rear inside wheel arches :toothless

·
Registered
748 Posts
That rust on the floor is a result of it leaking through the cracked rain gutters. Then it will create a lil pool underneath your driver and passenger side carpet, hence the rust there. If you're going to fix the rust, you might as well fix what causes the rust. :brownbag

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
That rust on the floor is a result of it leaking through the cracked rain gutters. Then it will create a lil pool underneath your driver and passenger side carpet, hence the rust there. If you're going to fix the rust, you might as well fix what causes the rust.
i dont get it :confused: , so does the water leak threw the rain gutters into the piler and then leak out from under the dash to the front driver and passenger floor? b/c lately i've notice my driver and passenger side carpets has been staying wet and i have no idea where the water is coming from.

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
Good work Max! That is definatly the problem. Get new door seals to fix it. I think about $80 on ebay. Doesn't it rain alot in Wash.?

BTW. Don't replace, repair the floor boards. Whatever you do, go to a place that sells auto paint and get some rust inhibitor. That changes the rust chemically and stops it. Then paint so it won't come right back and grow again.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
DeepSeaSnake said:
I cant believe this crap! it was all squared away until I started to pull the interior up, here's what I found

first, this is what I pulled out from under the plastic, at the bottom of the pile it is all mud maybe it started as a cardboard insulation and turned to gunk but what I was pulling out by the handfull was the Consistency of warm butter. Pic does not show the crap just the big pieces

and here is the rust

I live in Wash our vehicles are supposed to mold not rust. On the drivers side there are 4 holes roughly the size of tictacs? Does this mean I need to replace the floorpans?

hahahaha :lolup I wish I had that little of rust .. check my superford page "in the beginning" and it will make you feel better I am sure :thumbup

·
OUCH!!
1,044 Posts
:iissRust

·
Registered
748 Posts
Chris85xlt said:
i dont get it :confused: , so does the water leak threw the rain gutters into the piler and then leak out from under the dash to the front driver and passenger floor? b/c lately i've notice my driver and passenger side carpets has been staying wet and i have no idea where the water is coming from.
Actually Gub_Ni I wasn't refering to the rubber seals around the doors, I haven't had any problems with them yet on my '94. The problem on my '94 is where the roof rain gutter ends and is suppose to blend into the metal before the cap...it's split decently on both sides. With these damn heavy heavy rains down here in Houston I keep getting puddles down by seat-belt retractor on the floor. Once it moves from there, it seaps up to and proceeds to "pool" at the driver and passenger side foot areas where it creates a nice puddle. This is currently happening on my '94 and it has already happened to my '86.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well it's not the doors its the damn sunroof, its also doest help that there are no weather strips on the back window to even attempt to stop the water flowing in off the roof. All are being worked on currently. What I need to do is deal with the rust now so I can herculine. so I assume that rust to primer stuff isnt gonna help so much since I gotta strip and rough the metal anyway.
Although the fiber glass sounds like it would work. could I just grind away the rust and put that fiberglass crap over it then herculine over that?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hey, I thought about just grinding off the entire rain gutter and making it smooth and getting it painted, has anyone done this?

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,221 Posts
Like Damager said, that is relatively minor rust, not any big holes to speak of. If it were mine, I would treat it with OSPHO, which is a chemical that you can buy at any auto parts store, that will react with the surface rust. You can then grind it off with a steel brush or wirewheel and apply the liner. I don't think fiberglass is necessary. You don't want to seal in the rust or put something over it cause it will continue to spread. You can use the P.O.R. or similar stuff that you just paint over it, but I like the OSPHO better, and it's way cheaper.

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
muddy4x4 said:
Hey, I thought about just grinding off the entire rain gutter and making it smooth and getting it painted, has anyone done this?
Cant just grind it and paint it. You would have to weld the gap that is now there between the roof and the metal surrounding the door.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
so how do you go about fixin the rain guter then??

·
Registered
744 Posts
Damager said:
hahahaha :lolup I wish I had that little of rust .. check my superford page "in the beginning" and it will make you feel better I am sure :thumbup
your pass side looks way better than mione does. i got in mine a little bit after i bought it and fell through the floor. :rockon

·
Pissin' into the wind
2,523 Posts
I need to get a digi cam so I can take a picture of my floor boards and make all of you cry. When I pulled my carpet in preparation for Herculining I was amazed...zero rust.

And its 23 years old, still has factory shine underneath the carpet. I got lucky.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts