Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my thread on how I built my Bronco. I didn't necessarily do it by changing parts but more so bought and sold a couple until I upgraded to one I really like. I live in Phoenix, Arizona and had some money saved up so it started searching. Everything was too expensive until I looked in Tucson, Arizona and found a 1993 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer. The color was supposed to be green but when I saw it, it looked gray. I went to see it with my dad who currently lives in my hometown of Tucson. I was kind of ugly but I liked it for how big it was and the strength of the 5.8 engine. Actually, the seller listed it as a 5.0 and my dad always told me not to get a 5.0 but I wanted to see it anyway. After some negotiating, we brought the price down a little and u had my first Bronco. The very next day I woke up early, washed it, vacuumed it (25 min), and began to detail the exterior with paint correction methods because the paint was completely oxidized. I clayed the hood and quickly discovered this would take forever so I moved forward to cutting compound, cutting pad, and machine. Immediately, the oxidized paint came to life. We did the entire car, polished it, and waxed it. My dad saw the wheel bearings were needed as well as u joints in the driveshaft and the driveshaft was missing two bolts. I wasn't able to drive my Bronco home until the following week.

The following week I drove back to Phoenix, shampoo and hot water extracted the carpet and detailed the rest of the interior. The Bronco looked 10 times better at that point and I was curious how much attention it would get for sale. I posted it on OfferUp and Craigslist and immediately began to get messages. After meeting with a few people, I had a buyer. I ended up making a very nice profit after including all of my expenses to get it in good shape. I had already seen another Tucson Bronco I liked and reached out to the seller. Stay tuned...

The first three pictures are when I purchased the truck. The interior carpet ones show before and after cleaning. The fourth is showing the difference after paint correction and the last few are when I sold the truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For my second Bronco I purchased a 1989 with a lift kit and upgraded wheels. This bronco was in pretty good shape for the year. The paint was decent, the front seats were reupholstered and it was clean throughout. I need to charge up the AC and I failed emissions my first try. My mechanic did the spark plugs and reinstalled the gas tank that was incorrectly installed previously. I passed emissions a week later. The truck was nice but once I realized getting in and out of a lift was annoying, I decided to list it and had a buyer within 24 hours who had previously inquired about the 93 Eddie Bauer. Within a week the truck was sold and again I made a handsome profit. The only thing left was a steering gear box it need cause it was leaking. I did detail inside and outside like I did with the previous Bronco. I think it turned out great. Funny story, I saw the truck a week later completely full of mud after spending a few hours detailing it, oh well. Here are some pictures of when I purchased and sold the truck. I immediately was on the hunt again and found a very nice truck from New Mexico.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I arrived in Las Vegas, NM to view the Bronco. It was in pretty good shape like I thought but the tires were cracked and knew I'd be spending another $600 to replace them. The price was more than I wanted to spend but it was in such good shape, I figured it was worth it. I drove almost 9 hours back to Phoenix with my wife following me in her new 2012 Ford Explorer, which she loves. I needed to get the AC going and catalytic converter installed, to pass emissions because In New Mexico they don't have emissions. I got another mechanic to install the CC because my guy was busy. He finished the install and I passed emissions. He did however say my ac compressor was bad and the water pump was leaking. He suggested I do the pulleys and belt as well. The parts at AutoZone were $430 and his labor $320. I found the part online for $215 but after speaking with my dad he said we can easily do that together. I ordered the parts and will be driving down to Tucson next week to install the parts. The rear differential needs to be rebuilt, he told me the labor would be $450 plus parts. I looked at remanufactured rear differentials and they run $650-950. Going to discuss the options with my dad since he knows about cars and had Bronco's in the past. I want to rebuild/replace the rear differential and the seats to the front buckets which are leather. After that I think it'll be complete.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are some pictures.

I'm going to do the same detailing I did to the others to get it looking real good. The truck has 180k miles so I figure the transmission will need rebuilt around 210-230k and engine 250-270k but I'll have time to save for that.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got my truck back today from my uncle (mechanic). He rebuilt the rear differential for me and some other work. Replaced ring and pinion ($180 minus $30 Amazon discount for sending me wrong part), bearings and shim kit ($75), 75w140 oil ($36). Also did rear wheel bearings ($37) and seals ($19) and rear brakes ($28) and a spring kit for brakes ($25). Labor was only $250 but seemed like alot of work so I gave him more. The bronco feels so much better, no more noise from rear end.

Last weekend I broke my driver side interior handle. I ordered the part and began installing it today. I removed the entire panel because the entire system wasn't working right, I was having a hard time opening it which led to breaking the handle. I used wd40 to clean and lubricant the part the handle attaches to because it was stuck. Also replaced some retainer clips and I put it back together. The handle and door work fine now. I also just ordered the weather strip that the window goes through because it's dry and cracked and has no softness anymore which has ruined the tint inside and is beginning to start to scratch the exterior of the window. I'll install that when it come in, remove the tint and have it done again. Only other things I want to do are replace the leather seat of front buckets, since they're torn but backs are good, and install all 6 shocks. U will probably do that in December sometime and think I'm going to give it a shot myself. Although a Bronco is never fully complete, I feel I have one of the nicest most complete broncos I've seen under $10k.

I detailed the truck last week. Paint shines bright but could not get rid of the 10 year plus stains on carpet. It looks better but I might end up replacing in the future. Used degreaser and dressing on the interior and outside rubber and plastic. Also cleaned and conditioned back seat leather. The whole truck took about 7 hours but well worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
You thread is VERY hard to follow, but....if your new Bronco is a 94 or older you do not have to pass emissions if you get Vintage insurance and register it as such.

·
Registered
407 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts