Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if this is career suicide, or if Edgerrin is making a good call. I'd still like to see them go after a top notch QB, but I think this was a good start for the cards.

Ex-Colts RB James signs with Cardinals

NFL.com wire reports

For more info on James' signing
PHOENIX (March 12, 2006) -- Edgerrin James ran off to the Arizona Cardinals, agreeing to a four-year contract with one of the NFL's weakest teams.

James, who became a free agent after seven seasons with the Colts, knew there was little chance he would return to Indianapolis when the season ended in a loss to Pittsburgh in the AFC divisional round.

Last month, Colts president Bill Polian admitted he was taking a gamble by letting James hit the free-agent market. And now James is gone after setting team records for rushing attempts (2,188), yards (9,226) and touchdowns (64).

Edgerrin James should help an Arizona offense that ranked last in rushing last season.
Polian could have kept James by using the franchise tag on him for the second straight year. Instead, Polian decided against the move, which would have increased James' salary next season to more than $10 million. That made James, a four-time Pro Bowl choice, one of the most attractive free agents available when free agency opened Saturday.

Terms of the deal weren't immediately released.

It was clear James wanted a fresh start after several clashes with the Colts over the last few years. At the Super Bowl, he said he hoped to play for a team that wanted him.

The two-time NFL rushing champion helped Indianapolis make the playoffs six times in his seven seasons, missing the postseason in 2001 when James sat out the final 10 games after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

James has been one of the most productive running backs in the NFL after the Colts took him with the fourth overall pick in 1999. He has rushed for more than 1,000 yards in five of his seven NFL seasons, and ran for more than 1,500 yards in each of the last two.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
He's gonna find out you have to have a good line and a good passing game to put up his kind of numbers. Bum move on his part.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hate to see that, even though I new the Colts wouldn't resign him.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thurston said:
Hate to see that, even though I new the Colts wouldn't resign him.
You may not want to hear this but the Colts just put themselves in trouble. You do not get rid of a 1500yd running back. Manning is very good but with no running game every team they play is going to know how to play them. Just cover the receivers and it's over. It's the same that Seattle did to Carolina in the playoffs except Indy has 3-4 receivers whereas Carolina only had Steve Francis.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cnelson said:
You may not want to hear this but the Colts just put themselves in trouble. You do not get rid of a 1500yd running back. Manning is very good but with no running game every team they play is going to know how to play them. Just cover the receivers and it's over. It's the same that Seattle did to Carolina in the playoffs except Indy has 3-4 receivers whereas Carolina only had Steve Francis.

I agree with that.

There really isnt a back in free agency this year, that will fill the role that James had.

They better hope they draft well.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Two guys from Phoenix die and wake up in hell. The next day
the devil stops in
to check on them and sees them dressed in parkas, mittens
and bomber hats,
warming themselves around the fire. The devil asks, "What
are you doing? Isn't
it hot enough for you?"

The two guys reply, "Well, you know, we're from Phoenix, and
in the summer, it
gets real hot there. We're just a little bit chilly, you
know." The devil
decides that these two aren't miserable enough and turns up
the heat. The next
morning he stops in again and there they are, still dressed
in parkas, hats and mittens.

The devil asks them again, "Its awfully hot down here, can't
you guys feel that?"

Again the two guys reply, "Well, like we told you yesterday,
we're from Phoenix
where it gets real hot in the summer. We're still just a
little bit chilly, you
know." This gets the devil a little steamed up and he
decides to fix the two
guys. He cranks the heat up as high as it will go. The
people are wailing and
screaming everywhere. He stops by the room with the two guys
from Phoenix and
finds them in light jackets and hats, grilling sausage and
drinking beer. The
devil is astonished, "Everyone down here is in abject
misery, and you two seem
to be enjoying yourself.
The two Phoenicians reply, "Well, ya know, we've just got to
have a cookout when
the weather's this nice."

The devil is absolutely furious, he can hardly see straight.
Finally he comes up
with the answer. The two guys love the heat because they've
been in Phoenix all
their lives. The devil decides to turn all the heat OFF in
hell. The next
morning, the temperature is below zero, icicles are hanging
everywhere, and
people are shivering so badly that they're unable to wail,
moan and gnash their
teeth. The devil smiles and heads for the room with the two
Phoenicians. He
finds them back in their parkas, bomber hats, and mittens.
They're jumping up
and down, cheering, yelling and screaming like mad men. The
devil is
dumbfounded, "I don't understand, when I turn up the heat
you're happy. Now it's
freezing cold and you're still happy. What is wrong with
you two? The
Phoenicians look at the devil in surprise, "Well, don't you
know, if hell is
frozen over, that MUST mean the Cardinals have won the Super
Bowl

·
Registered
245 Posts
derrick36 said:
They better hope they draft well.
You never know what they will do. They lost a starting linebacker to Tennesee today too. As far as the draft goes you never know what they are thinking I am sure they have a plan just don't know what it is right now. I remember when they drafted Edge, in the offseason before that they lost Marshal Faulk and everyone thought they would get Ricky Williams.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts