Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Zombie Hunter
13,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have kind of hit a stopping point in my career path. Due to my lack of technical training, i can't really further myself anymore. I am self taught on pretty much everything i do. I take pride in that, but it is hard to put it on a resume and explain to a company that the reason i know it, is because i am self taught, and expect them to take that seriously.

With everything else i am paying for. I don't have the money to put myself through college. Work isn't going to pay to train me, we've already discussed that option, and their tuition reimbursment program is basically a "face" to draw prospective employees in, there really isn't anything behind it, kind of like their medical and dental plan, but we won't go there.

I am only toying with the options of going into the Army reserves at this point. I would like to think that the training i get in the Army Reserve would actually help me in the outside world. I still have about 3 months to consider this, since the shoulder surgery won't happen until mid-january. I will be down for 8-12 weeks after that (that includes rehab).

I have hit a peak and i just can't seem to go any higher, and i don't want to wait too long to make a decision on what i am going to do, life isn't getting any longer.

I also have given thought to the idea of actually being activated. I feel like i am not doing my part. I am young, I am healthy, I should be helping.

Now here is the deal, I have a daughter, that would be taken care of while i am in Basic and extended training. But i figure with the reserves after the training is complete, i could still be there to be a Dad.

I don't know at this point. I have pondered this for a while. I see the pros as the training i would get, the money i would receive for schooling, and the discipline i really need that military life would give me. The cons, basic, i am not in the best shape in the world and would need to work on that before i went through it. Quit smoking, lose weight, maybe get off my ass every once in a while.

I guess what i am asking the people that know, is what did you gain, or not gain by going through this process? How hard is basic? That really does kind of worry me. Did the reserves actually help you in civilian life?

Just want to hear some opinions.......

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
I am not in the Army or the Reserves for that matter, but what kind of training exactly are you looking for?

·
Zombie Hunter
13,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You got the ugliest dog alive thing on your Avatar, thats funny....you know that thing died some time ago.

There was a couple career paths i was looking at. The Combat Engineer one kind of intrigues me.

I hear all the time that what a person learned in the military helped them in there civilian life, i guess i am just wondering if its true. I would eventually like to get an engineering degree.....but as of right now, that isn't possible.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
How close are you to Wright Patterson AFB, OH? You could get a tour through there with a recruiter. I'm not in the Army reserves, rather active duty AF. Ever consider going AF reserve?

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
Go air national guard, that way you wont go to iraq as soon as your done with training.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Well, after being retired from the NG, I can take all my papers and 50 cents down to the local diner and get a cup of coffee. Military experience hasnt helped me do chit in civilian life.

You want my opinion, get your sholder squared away, then dont pu$$yfoot around, go active duty and make a life for yourself. Just dont go Infantry, you will never see your apratment or your Bronco. :)

Good luck whatever you do...
Andrew

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Not sure about the Army but I do know that I wouldn't be doing what I am now if I hadn't gone into the Navy and become a nuke. I was a mechanic/lab tech and I also did my Power Plant operator apprenticeship whle I was on my last sub. I'm pretty sure I still would've been hired at Ford if I didn't have my Journeyman card because of my nuke experience but it definitely helped. With all the uncertainty going on with Ford/Visteon and the rest of the American auto makers I might just have to rely on my Journeyman's card again in the not so distant future or resort to going to a civilian nuke plant. I don't look forward to it but if it happens I'm pretty confident that I can get another job just as good as my current one. Good luck whatever you decide. I can tell you being away from the kids especially at a young age really sucks so if you do it make sure you do something that you really WANT to do.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
RLKBOB is right, he had some military SKILLS that helped him out... I was speaking for myself, which I was Infantry... The only thing that qualifies me for is either security guard or mercanary.

·
Registered
13,883 Posts
I cant answer your army reserve question. However the AF reserves has helped me drastically. 3 years on AD through the reserves did to. As a C-130 Aero Repair Tech it has opened the doors for me to get a higher paying civilian job until i get through college and go AD. Take today for example. I went for a job interview with a company called Colsa (sub contractor of Northrup Grumman) and passed it with flying colors. Through the maintence background I have I can get into companies like that. Also I am waiting to see what my current company, Westwind, gets for some contracts on some mods for Blackhawks, Chinnoks, and now Apaches. If they get as high of a contract as they are expecting then they will be hiring a ton of new people. Being an employee of Westwind with my aircraft background, I am relativly high on the list for a new opening. Which pays roughly $20 an hour starting. So yes my experience has helped me.

Granted I wished I went AD to start with, since that is my ultimate goal, cause I really enjoy putting that uniform on everyday and knowing the kind of work Ill be doing.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
MyFullSize said:
RLKBOB is right, he had some military SKILLS that helped him out... I was speaking for myself, which I was Infantry... The only thing that qualifies me for is either security guard or mercanary.
Yea, big difference between infantry and something like aviation mechanic, combat medic, engine rebuilder, etc. A trained killer isn't very "usefull" on the civilian size, but support roles are. If the MOS has a long training...good chance it'll transfer over. I know the airforce and army both have alot of fields that'll transfer over into the civilian world. Also...you can always get your engenering degree on the civilian size with them paying for most, if not all. They're going to be paying me a pretty good lump sum while i go to school.

http://www.goarmy.com/JobCatList.do?fw=careerindex&bl=

There's your army careers. Now, keep in mind, not all are listed in there, so sometimes you just have to talk to recruiters about certain jobs. Combat engineer is a 21Bravo. when you go to the job descriptions it has civilian job "transfers" at the bottom.

GL with whatever decision you make Rob :thumbup

·
Registered
13,883 Posts
oh on a side note, when my dad first joined the Army he went as a combat engineer. He quickly swapped to become EOD. From my understanding you are basically making roads and putting up temporary floating bridges. Now I may be slightly incorrect in their job description though

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Bronco Rob, first you need to ask yourself "what would I like to do when I get out"? If you like turning wrenches and doing the mech thing, then see if you can do something in the military that will give the training you can use in the civy world. Check into the "Apprenticeship Program" that the DOD offers.

I have been in Marine Corps aviation for 24 years now and an licensed aircraft mechanic (A&P) for 28 years. I work with the FAA in helping military personel obtain their A&P license by using the training they recieved through the military (Danial, you should look into this yourself, if interested let me know). So the training you recieve through the military does help in the civilian world, even as a reservist, you are still entitled to some educational benefits. The DOD has even extended educational benefits to reservists that do time in OIF/OAF, check with the VA for current info.

As for me, I've had numerous job offers from aviation companies that it's just a matter of picking where I want to live when I get out.

·
Registered
13,883 Posts
yeah ive been looking forward to that added educational stuff for the time in the sandbox and being in contingency with OEF/OIF.

Ive been wondering about that. What are the time restrictions and stuff. i have heard you have to have so much time on an airframe before you can get you A&P

·
Zombie Hunter
13,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imlikeojnow said:
Go air national guard, that way you wont go to iraq as soon as your done with training.
I wanna go.

SrATEX said:
oh on a side note, when my dad first joined the Army he went as a combat engineer. He quickly swapped to become EOD. From my understanding you are basically making roads and putting up temporary floating bridges. Now I may be slightly incorrect in their job description though
I don't think i want to do that.....thats Explosive Ordinance Disposal isn't it? For some reason, just the name doesn't appeal to me, especially with what kind of ordinance they have to deal with over there.

I really haven't made a final decision on what career path i want to follow, i do know that i want to turn a wrench, or deal with engineering

kf4amu said:
Ever consider getting a job at a college you want to attend? Tuition waivers are common which makes paying a tuition bill of 0 dollars easy :)

-Will
Getting a job at a local university around here is the eqivalant to being male and giving birth.....it's not going to happen. The way Cleveland Cops have been laid off, the private sector is overwhelmed with people more qualified than me.

RLKBOB, if i went Naval Reserve, can you still go through the nuke training that you did? Sub service has crossed my mind several times.

I am still thinking Army though. I went to see a recruitor today, evidently the Army does get a day off, actually 2, today and monday. I called him on his cell phone, and he didn't sound, and i don't mean to sound mean, to be the sharpest knife in the drawer. I am worried about talking to someone who is younger than me, and them trying to sell me on the Army instead of telling me the information I want to know.

The Marines evidently don't get a day off though, to get to the Army office you have to walk past the Marine office, the door was open the light was on, i poked my head in and asked "Is the Army recruitor going to be back today?" The Marine behind the desk said "Not tough enough to be a Marine?" I replied "No, I'm not, is the Army recruitor coming back today?" He laughed and handed me the Army Recruitor's card, so i am probably going to go talk to him Wednesday before i go to work.

·
Registered
13,883 Posts
come back to here with any questions or fishy stuff. We can call BS or not. And on the positive note, A family friend of my family's that was stationed in NJ and AL with us is now in NC doing recruiting for EOD, he was giving me the correct info i needed when i went to talk to the recruiters.

oh and that EOD comment was just saying that about the Combat engineers

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
SrATEX said:
yeah ive been looking forward to that added educational stuff for the time in the sandbox and being in contingency with OEF/OIF.

Ive been wondering about that. What are the time restrictions and stuff. i have heard you have to have so much time on an airframe before you can get you A&P
Talking to a few aviation guys, it seems like 18mo working on aircraft before you can talk to the FAA guys about getting the "OK" to take the A part of the A&P. I plan on looking into it farther on down the road if i see any job opportunities around me. Where i'm located i can't think of many places within 60 miles, so...i may just put off getting the licence myself.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts