Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bronco day started out well. I installed a new harmonic balancer on the Beater and went ahead and installed the K&N filter without an airbox just to try it out. Then I turned the Bronco around so I could mount the hanger for the exhaust I installed lat weekend. :thumbup

While that was cooling I decided I would start project Beater Back Bumper. I cut some 6 x2” C channel for the center section and cut a square hole in the center for the receiver hitch. I needed to pick up some ¼” steel, a foot of receiver hitch tubing and some ½” x 5” plate for the front and rear bumper mounts. :thumbup

I was really enjoying having even more power with the K&N filter and new exhaust and had no problem powering up the hills that are around here. I didn’t even have to downshift (turn off OD) where I had to before. :thumbup :thumbup

As I was exiting the freeway I felt a slight hesitation that just didn’t feel right. I drove it a few more blocks to the metal place and everything seemed OK. I got my steel and started heading back but noticed it was running a little warmer than usual. Before it always ran at N on the normal and it was now between the M and A. This was with the fan on. I didn’t know if the warm air from the filter was causing this but kept on eye on it.:popc1:

When I got close to home I was back on the freeway and all the sudden the temp spiked and the check engine light came on. I slowed down and as I got to the next exit the red engine light came on. The motor stalled and I coasted into a gas station about 50 feet from the air/water station. :banghead

I didn’t see any leaks and the oil level was OK. I waited a few minutes and removed the radiator cap and I didn’t see any fluid. I went in the gas station and bought two gallons of premix antifreeze ($23 bastards) and poured them both in.. Where did all that fluid go? I walked over and paid another $0.50 to refill the two gallons with water and it took another to top it off. There was a small pinhole where the intake hoes goes in just under the radiator cap. I let it cool another half hour or so and it took a few tries to get it running but it wasn’t pretty. I got it two miles home and let it cool off for a couple hours and checked it out again. I noticed some water splashing from underneath when running but couldn’t tell where it was coming from. :banghead

I walked around the bronco and the tailpipe was doing a Steamboat Willy. So tomorrow I get the fun of changing out the head gaskets. Aren’t Broncos fun? At least it gives me the excuse to install the PCV valve I bought yesterday but wasn’t going to install since the intake is in the way. :doh0715:

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,517 Posts
90Beater said:
...and went ahead and installed the K&N filter without an airbox just to try it out.
I didn’t even have to downshift (turn off OD) where I had to before. :thumbup :thumbup

As I was exiting the freeway I felt a slight hesitation that just didn’t feel right...
...heading back but noticed it was running a little warmer than usual...
all the sudden the temp spiked and the check engine light came on....
The motor stalled and I coasted into a gas station

... I walked around the bronco and the tailpipe was doing a Steamboat Willy.

Aren’t Broncos fun?
:duh

·
Traveling FSB'er
1,099 Posts
That sucks..........
fix one thing + bronco= find something else......

If you can't find it it will find you......... :eek:

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:banghead and the fun continues.

I got it tore down to the lower intake. All the middle bolts came off without a problem. The four corners were a different story. I let them sit in rust eater for about half an hour. One came off, one snapped and two are stripped in place.

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

The only place my bronco has any rust is in the engine.:cry

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
90Beater said:
:banghead and the fun continues.

I got it tore down to the lower intake. All the middle bolts came off without a problem. The four corners were a different story. I let them sit in rust eater for about half an hour. One came off, one snapped and two are stripped in place.

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

The only place my bronco has any rust is in the engine.:cry

i know your pain man that is the same thing with mine when i did the engine swap. heat em up just be careful when you do though. good luck man sorry to hear about your bronco as well

·
Registered
195 Posts
Stories like this are just the reason why I REFUSE to fix the armrest on my seat. Because I am SURE that when I do, my heater core will blow!!!

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
pjmorgan22 said:
Stories like this are just the reason why I REFUSE to fix the armrest on my seat. Because I am SURE that when I do, my heater core will blow!!!

No shit man. i fixed the interior rust and holes then herculined it. got ready to put the lift on and then the engine gave out on me. hahahaha thats the way it works though. i know as soon as i put the lif ton something else will go wroing but that is the nature of the beast. hopefully it is just the arm rest. :beer

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bronkzilla said:
:eek: i feel your pain
Look at my sig. :toothless

Well I managed to get one head off, what a pain it was. The rear left bolt that broke left enough of the bolt to hang up and it took me about an hour to get the lower intake off. That's after getting the two stripped bolts removed. As I have said before never use Penzoil. what a mess it leaves.

The cylinders look pretty good.

#1 is a little wet. I bet that's where the leak was. #2 the scratches on the valve, what's up with that?

I stopped about 7:45. when I got the head off. I'll check it out better in the morning.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
You aint telling me nothing after seeing this on mine it will be nothing but castrol GTX for me

·
Traveling FSB'er
1,099 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
You aint telling me nothing after seeing this on mine it will be nothing but castrol GTX for me
:shocked :shocked :eek: :eek: Good thing there is no Pennzoil in my new motor!!

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
**** pennzoil
My grandpa swore by it and thats what his 350 looked like when I put an intake seal on it.

You should take the heads to a machine shop and have them checked for warping and get them surfaced.

·
Registered
190 Posts
what the hell it looks like you got more problems than a leak and crap oil. damn

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
MikE2 said:
**** pennzoil
My grandpa swore by it and thats what his 350 looked like when I put an intake seal on it.

You should take the heads to a machine shop and have them checked for warping and get them surfaced.
I'll second that.
Look on the bright side, if you had descent torque with all the centre bolts loose, just think how much better it will be when they are all tight. :thumbup

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Instead of patching it up I think I might just get one of the Recon Extreme motors thru Autozone for about $2600. This thing is old and tired and I don't want to have to worry about it breaking down 50 miles from nowhere off road.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
i got my long block from precision engines out of houston and it is good to go. i liked the customer service and there quality is great. just an option though

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's a sad thing to see.:cry

1 - 20 of 103 Posts