Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much psi(air) do you think it would take to launch a potato roughly 2 1/2-3" around out of a pipe of similar diameter? i want it to go at least 20 yards aka fairly close range weapon. also, how much psi could a small tank made of say 4" schedule 40 pipe with caps and shit safely hold?

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Andy351 said:
how much psi(air) do you think it would take to launch a potato roughly 2 1/2-3" around out of a pipe of similar diameter? i want it to go at least 20 yards aka fairly close range weapon. also, how much psi could a small tank made of say 4" schedule 40 pipe with caps and shit safely hold?

That's one for Potamus. He'll tell you everything you need to know.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yeah I was going to say PM my assbag brother.

He has made all sorts of Potato guns.

Most work at about 120 psi and one will plant a potato from about 200 yards.

He even made a pistol version, which is fun, but only works to about 10 yards.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
SCH 40 (or 80, 120) pipe always has a pressure rating printed on the side.
IF IT DOES NOT HAVE A PRESSURE RATING, DO NOT PUT IT UNDER PRESSURE!
you could run pretty low pressure if you're going for a range that close.
And broman has no clue on range, he's never seen the Behemoth fire in daylight. That thing will sent a tuber out of sight on a clear day.
These guys will give you any cool tips you need. I'd robably go with 1.5" for the barrel, unless you want to shell out more for the big baker taders.
2.5" pipe (hard to find) fits a tennis ball pretty well though.

·
Registered
13,881 Posts
Potamus said:
SCH 40 (or 80, 120) pipe always has a pressure rating printed on the side.
IF IT DOES NOT HAVE A PRESSURE RATING, DO NOT PUT IT UNDER PRESSURE!
you could run pretty low pressure if you're going for a range that close.
And broman has no clue on range, he's never seen the Behemoth fire in daylight. That thing will sent a tuber out of sight on a clear day.
These guys will give you any cool tips you need. I'd robably go with 1.5" for the barrel, unless you want to shell out more for the big baker taders.
2.5" pipe (hard to find) fits a tennis ball pretty well though.
my buddy and i were shooting tennis balls with ours. Had to get 3" and tape the hell out of the balls with packing tape, then use some left over 2" and use it as a ramrod

·
Registered
401 Posts
Poatamus spent the better part of a day tracking down 2.5".
None of the hardware stores carry it anymore, the only place I could find it was a heating and cooling company. They stopped using it for exhaust pipes on heaters and went to a different size (possibly because they stopped making the stuff.) Fortunately, they still had a supply sitting in an old warehouse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts