Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few more of my own. I'm giving more thought to just buliding my next computer, rather than buying one. I'm undecided on the processor I want/need. How can I decide wtf I want?

And what's the difference with AMD's Athlon 64 3000+, 3500+, 4000+, etc? For example I see :
3700+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 with a 2.2GHz operating frequency
and
3000+ 800MHz FSB Socket 754 with a 2.0GHz operating frequency

Seems to me, I'd want to spend the extra money for the 3700+ - yeah? (still looking into Intel's P4 ...)

I'm sure I'll have other questions, as my research continues ...

And, please, no personal opinion/what you run type of replies - that'll just confuse me even more

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So far, I've found these Intel processor's, that I THINK I can use/need:
533MHz FSB, 2.8GHz operating frequency
and
800MHz FSB, 3.0GHz operating frequency

I've got no F'ing clue what I'm looking at :shrug

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
I would recomment the dual core Athlon 64's. Depending on what you want to spend, I would get on the of the "slower" 64's (still fast as hell), instead of paying the ridiculous premium for the fastest CPU on the market... that way, you will be able to upgrade for quite some time as the faster CPU's come down dramatically in price. I just built a system with this CPU for my uncle... it was sweet.

EDIT: To get CPU speed, you multiply the FSB (front side bus :D) by the CPU Multiplier. thats where the different CPU clock rates come from. The "socket type" is just that, the type of socket the CPU has to fit. Thas why I recomment getting the latest type of CPU, in a "slower" model.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Here, you could look around here to find what all the computer terms are: Clicky

The FSB= Frontside bus which is the connection from the processor to the RAM.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shit, I still haven't considered what I need/want in a motherboard.

I dunno about buliding one, now. I'm already at half the cost of just buying one ... and I still have to decide on the motherboard, graphics card, sound/video card, power supply, the HD, fans, heatsinks, the DVD

I've been using newegg.com for all my research right now, but I know there has to be other places that I can get an Althon 64 for cheaper than 200 bucks... right??

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Specifically, I would get (if I were building myself a new computer) the athlon 64 x2 3800 dual core. (about $300 for the CPU)

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Crazedatwork said:
If you go athalon, go with the 939 pin.
:stupid (the processor I mentioned is a 939 pin)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I don't know if you have seen this one yet, it is $170:Click

·
Registered
988 Posts
I built a new computer for gaming only..

ASUS A89 Deluxe motherboard
AMD 3200+ 939
2 Gig matched 3200 ram
Seasonic 500w power supply
MSI NX6800GT video card
Creative Audigy2 ZS Gamer audio card
Sony DVD RW
Gladiator case
100g SATA HD

thing rocks for gaming. :thumbup

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
That's a nice looking computer Crazed, the hdd is a bit small but that's pure opinion.

I would not go with Intel. While they are superior for hardcore multi-processing, the AMD is in no way a slump in the field. It's cheaper, easier to overclock, AND more respected in the custom-built community.

I agree 100% with the 939 pin, don't get a 754 pin, they're already outdated and won't be useful in the near future. Also, it's much better to get a 64bit 2ghz processor than a 32bit 3ghz processor. It's not that it's capable of 64bit processes, it's the chip's architecture. To me, 32bit processors are pretty much useless at this point. The 64bits are getting cheaper, so why not?

Also, isn't the 3700 a 2.2ghz processor?

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dang, so far, with the memory, processor, HD and motherboard, I'm already at $415. If I had a bigger budget than 600 bucks, I might be alright

this is harder than I thought ... I can't even decide on the OS to use :banghead

and thanks so far, guys, this is helping

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
-Spazmatic- said:
I agree 100% with the 939 pin, don't get a 754 pin, they're already outdated and won't be useful in the near future.
Yeh, I've fingered that much out, so I'm cool there
Also, isn't the 3700 a 2.2ghz processor?
I don't recall, but I think it is :shrug

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
davids78bronco said:
Yeh, I've fingered that much out, so I'm cool there

I don't recall, but I think it is :shrug
What's your budget, firstly?

·
Well Done Man!
1,621 Posts
What do you plan on doing with the computer?
If its just surfing the net, you do not need $$$ items, many people on this site are gammers and know the bad dude stuff if you want to do that.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
pricewatch.com they list all the prices of a ton of sites, i work between that and froogle when i buy my shit.

In al honesty i would get the dual core unless you are doing some work as in AutoCAD or even games that will require that.

My AMD 64 single core preforms great on most of the brand new games. Mainly vid card issues for me.

Also on the mobo make sure to get the PCI-E slot instead of AGP since it is the "wave of the future"

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
Whatever you do David make sure you go AMD

Going Pentium is like buying Chev IMO (you did it because you have no imagination and enjoy being part of the flock).

Another question you ought to ask is where are you coming from ? If you're starting from a PII or PIII then you might like this;

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1784276&Sku=B450-2024 A

Sure it isn't 64 bit, but it's awful hard to beat for $119.00 for a 3300 with M/board and nifty case with 400 watt power supply.

All you need after that is this for $44;

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1010681&CatId=0

and this for $43 and you're good to go !

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1649376&CatId=0

Sometimes it pays to buy trailing edge technology(kinds like owning a 28 year old Bronco instead of a new Excursion).

I built an awful nice 64 bit system using the 754 pin stuff last Summer for next to nothing.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks so far guys. This is where I'm coming from: I'm not a gamer (I have my xbox for that), I have a budget limit of 600 bucks, but I still want it to be as fast as money allows. I'm sick of this POS that's slower than a turd rolling uphill and locks up every hour. I'm trying to talk the wife into allowing for a digital video camera, so I'm planning on doing the editing on the new computer. I also need it capable of handling my autocad, solidworks, desktop dyno, as well as the typical office-related software - office works, power point, etc

Now I'm at a crossroad - if I build, I'm stuck with still needing a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers and a printer. But now I think I might have gone thru all this trouble, and imposed on everyone for answers, and found an easy solution - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...goryId=pcmcat18700050010&id=pcmprd50000050007

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
that one is pretty comparable to the link i sent you......cept you get a moniter, printer, router..........i dunno.

you could get the gateway one and an lcd moniter and printer for close to the bestbuy one.

tough decisions

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
$600 budget, non gamer, office and video mostly. Dude get a Dell E510.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.