Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got tired of worrying about sucking in water when i'm romping around especially since i did away with the stock air box with my mass air swap. I searched and saw where these guys built their own air box. I did the same except i didn't build it. Lowes sells these ABS plastic inground drain boxes. I took the grate off the top and put some clear plexiglass and its got a straight in and out perfect for a 3in cone air filter.

The rest is abs plastic. I used some rubber hose around where i cut the fender out to clean the appearance up until i figure something nicer out. After all these are nice trucks and i wanted it to look nice without spending 400 bucks on an arb. PLus i had gotten into a fight and dented the living hell out of the drivers side fender to i might as well put a snorkel on!

1 tight 90
1 tight 45
1 22.5 elbow
1 10ft section of 3in abs DWV pipe
1 3in cap
1 5in cap to put over the 3in cap.

Drill a hole in the fender, run your pipe through. Make your cuts to follow the body curves. I drilled holes in the straight section of pipe and put bolts in before i glued the sections together. Then drilled corresponding holes in the fender and bolted it from the back so theres no visible mounting hardware till you get to the top.

I used a piece of spare flat steel i had to make a base for the pipe to sit on by the pillar. I drilled a bunch of holes in the 3in cap leaving enough to run a bolt through the top 5in cap to the 3in cap making a rain guard. Two hose clamps hold the pipe to the pillar.

Total Investment?
2 hrs / 40 bucks in parts. Looks great.
Sorry for the crude pics. I literally just finished, time for a shower and dinner.

1 big badass ford

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thats pretty cool, but I gotta ask, how deep of water do you get into? I mean wouldn't your distributor flood first?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
absolutely my dist would flood first. But if i'm that deep i'll be stuck. I just don't want to lose a motor due to a little bit of water

·
Registered
128 Posts
i like it...redneck as hell, completely DIY, backyard tech...nice job. post up some better and more complete pics...

oh, and you should put some LED lights in the snorkel cap to complete the effect... :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
absolutely my dist would flood first. But if i'm that deep i'll be stuck. I just don't want to lose a motor due to a little bit of water
Well that makes sense lol.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the other option would be to stay out of water or build a much better box to seal my air filter in after the mass air swap. This calmed my fear of hydrolocking a motor and covered the dents in the fender. Besides I've seen some really ugly ones with the filter on top which made no sense. I think it looks pretty good

edit: daytime pic!

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
or for that matter pictures that we can see.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Ya.. looking at a black pipe on a black truck doesn't really show anything.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
The truck is soooo black its sucking the light out of the area you live in.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I never did understand why someone so new feels like they can show up and start calling people cocksuckers and F-bomb this and that.
Some people I guess just need to be medicated.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts