Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took the spacer off last week and drove the truck around like normal.
Drove 370 miles before truck was showin just under 1/4 tank of gas. Filled up put 28 gallons of gas in it. So that is 13.2 MPG with out the TBS. Put the spacer back on and did the same drving i do every day and i will outline that in a minute. Gas guage got to same place ass before and i drove 405 miles, and put 28 gallon of gas in it again, 14.46 MPG. So this thing did give me a MPG increase. Also now the newness is worn off i noticed no difference in starting power but a little in the mid range. but that could have been due to putting it back on, and when i did it it tightned the throttle cable down some more as well. here was my driving for the two weeks, i never left base so i never went over 45MPH. Drop kid off at school, go to gym, come home, go to work, come home. that is all.

So here is my assumption, gas mileage increase was a little over 1.2 MPG, and power increase nill. (so i need to have my ass dyno recal'd) is that 1.2 mpg worth 65 bucks to some people yeah. I got mine for free so i will leave it on.

Again this was as controlled as i could get the test, and to the best of my ability. I dont want this to turn into a pissin match im just stating my findings.

Thanks all and have a wonderful day

I t hink im going to buy the tornado

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Sounds like a positive result. I think anyone that is interested in getting a few extra mpg would be interested in the results. I was looking into getting one, I suppose and extra 1 mpg would pay for $65 in a short amount of time, but Im not running out to buy one right away.

Good info for on and off average test.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Those numbers do show an increase obviously -- but are they exact? Did you round them off? (I am never able to fill up my tank in even numbers or have my mileage be exact to the gas station.)

It could vary the results some either way. I don't think it would vary it by the 1.2mpg you found and change the positive results, but it could make a difference.

Adam

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Need more data points for an accurate and fair assessment. :goodfinge

j/k if it works for you, go with it. :thumbup

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like i said i aint turning this into a shit storm arguement again. alot of people PM-d me wanting me to test it so i did. And i did admit no change in over all uumph as well when on or off. but 1.2 MPG is 1.2 MPG.

and 89mustanglx those numbers were not rounded up. i went the same amount of mileage, the same places, and event he same parking places, that is why i said it was as controlled as it could be. both times i put exaclty 28 gallon to the first click cause that is how i fill my tank. that is as controlled as i can get it without spending money.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Well at a 1.2 mpg increase, gas out here is around $3.29 and a cost of $65, the thing pays for itself in a little over 16 gallons (if I did my math right). I would consider anything that pays itself back in less than a tank full to be good.

·
Registered
255 Posts
and 89mustanglx those numbers were not rounded up. i went the same amount of mileage, the same places, and event he same parking places, that is why i said it was as controlled as it could be. both times i put exaclty 28 gallon to the first click cause that is how i fill my tank. that is as controlled as i can get it without spending money.
I only mentioned that because gallons usually measure to .001 on the pump and mileage to .1 in your truck, and that rounding could increase or decrease the results, like I said. I just suspected there may have been some rounding and that would affect the results one way or the other. I still think you would see an increase, but it would be easy to add additional accuracy to the test by eliminating the rounding.

That was my point.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well if it makes you feel any better when the tank stopped i filled to 28 gallon exactly each time. i dont go by dollar amount. The only variables in the test was the weather. and that was only about an 8 degree difference except one night when it got down to 18 but the truck was parked

either way for arguements sake we will say a 1 mpg increase.

·
Registered
405 Posts
What brand TBS do you have? I commend you on your test and for the balls to post them in such a potentially harsh environment when concerning TBS.

Although, I say 'F' to the Tornado...unless you prove that to have a positive impact on you vehicle in a 2nd test.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it is an Airraid. I didnt buy it, it was given to me by someone on this board. i said before when i do the test i will post negative and positve results on it. hell for all i know it could be robbin me of HP but i dont care i like getting 14.5 MPG

·
Registered
2,893 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I will not knock this test but I will say that it is not correct. The proper way to test for fuel milage is to drive the vehicle to the gas station and fill it to the top. Drive it a set amount of miles, (round trip) where you end up back at the gas station. Add your fuel back to the top, make your adjustments, and do the drive again. I bet your results are pretty close since you have been stating that you got an increase in milage since you added the spacer. Not knocking it, just saying. Good job for helping others out.

Chris

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
I have a fuel saver trick for ya: put a brick under the accelerator pedal arm. :thumbup

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will not knock this test but I will say that it is not correct. The proper way to test for fuel milage is to drive the vehicle to the gas station and fill it to the top. Drive it a set amount of miles, (round trip) where you end up back at the gas station. Add your fuel back to the top, make your adjustments, and do the drive again. I bet your results are pretty close since you have been stating that you got an increase in milage since you added the spacer. Not knocking it, just saying. Good job for helping others out.

Chris
Then what the hell was the poitn in this post?

How is it any difference when the same amount of fuel was put, and the exact same amount a mileage was driven as well? During the week i dont do anything out of the ordinary, kid school, gym, home, work, home. that is all.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a fuel saver trick for ya: put a brick under the accelerator pedal arm. :thumbup
I already drive like an old man. that is how i get the mpg i get

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Heh, yeah you almost have to though to get decent mileage out of these pigs. I've noticed with the MAF upgrade that my mileage is effected more so by my driving style than it was with SD. That's a good thing though, since it means I can save fuel if I really want to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts