Votes: 43 56.6%
  • can-on-string

Votes: 7 9.2%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fed up with my Immix Wireless service and have decided to get a real phone with a real wireless company. I'm after a "smartphone" and am checking out both AT&T and Verizon wireless.

What do you guys use?

With both companies the overall voice minutes price is almost the same with free in network calls, but I'm pretty sure that I know more people with Verizon than AT&T service.

As for phones, I was checking out the "droid". It's pretty damn sophisticated and the one real valid point that the Verizon clerk made was that Verizon has more nationwide coverage than AT&T and faster internet - so what would be the point in having a smartphone if you get crappy internet service on it?

I also like how I can get unlimited internet for $30 where as with AT&T they have different packages with the second cheapest (not unlimited) is $25.

I also get a 20% discount at Verizon and a 15% discount at AT&T (because of my employer), but at AT&T that discount is only applied to voice minutes.

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
Verizon has more 3G coverage than AT&T. You *may* get faster AT&T speeds in *some* larger urban areas, but overall Verizon has better voice/internet coverage. Case in point - where I live in Boone, NC, Verizon has FANTASTIC 3G coverage all over the place, while my buddy can't even browse the web on his AT&T iPhone due to the lack of 3G coverage in this part of the state. You really can't go wrong with Verizon's 3G coverage, it's better than any other provider in the country right now.

Bottom line: You won't get "crappy" internet coverage if you go Verizon, you will actually get better coverage than if you went AT&T. If you are choosing between a Verizon or an AT&T Droid, go Verizon, hands down.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I'm on Verizon with a Blackberry Curve, and it's okay, but a bunch of the guys I work with have the Motorola Droids, and that phone is great. It really makes me wish I had the Droid. At least in my area AT&T sucks big time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Depends on where you live. I had Verizon for years and got so fed up with dropped calls and my phone never ringing because the signal was sooooo weak here in Greensboro NC. But like loarmistead said Verizon rocks up in the mountains and my iPhone is horrible there. Go with the plan that has the best reception where you need it. I had a smart phone on both networks and I'll never ever ever go back to Verizon now that I've had AT&T. Internet is way faster, phone is way cooler :) Good luck to ya, you really can't go wrong as long as you get a signal where you live haha.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have had AT&T for about 5 yrs now, I just recently upgraded to the iPhone and couldn't be happier with the Internet service and there has only been a few places that I never really go with no service. And I'm not sure why the price you was looking at is not unlimited Internet service mine is 30 a month on two lines. And there Internet service isn't at all slow but it's not ungodly fast either. I would recomend AT&T but most like verizon so it's up to you. I don't think AT&T don't have the droid either so of you want a droid your going to have to get verizon.

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
And I'm not sure why the price you was looking at is not unlimited Internet service mine is 30 a month on two lines.
AT&T just within the past couple of weeks changed the pricing on new plans. They don't offer the unlimited internet plan on new contracts. :cry

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts
The iPhone is much better than any Droid in my experience (I have an iphone) Its much more intuitive. The Droid is more Microsoft-ish...more capability, but 90 percent of the users won't bother using it. And its harder to interface with...screen grabs aren't as smooth, zooming is choppy, it's slower etc. The battery lasts longer on the Droid though. Also I like the raised tactile response keyboards that Droids have.

I rarely have service issues with my iPhone, although it does happen. Nobody I know with Verizon has service issues.

From service coverage alone I would go with Verizon, but for a complete package, I'd go with ATT and the iPhone 4G. The phone is so much better than the Droid.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Lol, sorry to rub it in- I'm on a company paid Verizon blackberry. I haven't paid a cell phone bill in over a year. It's free so I love it.

Service is good, I had sprint/nextel before. The coverage now is much better. The sprint/nextel always dropped calls...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Have had verizon since before it was verizon. Never been disappointed. Can always get service where no one else can.

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
Verizon with the Droid. As for data, it's hard to break the 5 Gig barrier. Even when I tried I couldn't get past 4 Gig in a month. On a regular month I usually eat 2.75 to 3 Gig.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I switched to AT&T two years ago because I wanted an iPhone. Have not had any problem at all. I think it just depends who has the best coverage where you live and what phone you want. I am going to renew my contract later this month when the iPhone 4 comes out. If you want the droid and get a pretty good discount, go with verizon.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,180 Posts
I'd say it depends on your area. Here we had AT&T & it seemed like they had good coverage every except at my house, the shop, & most of our jobsites. :doh0715: We're with Verizon now & there are very few coverage holes around here. It made a huge difference.

Check with local friends & make sure they have good coverage in your area before you choose.

I voted can-on-string because I've been using it longer than Verizon. :toothless

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,513 Posts
Verizon and anything with that droid software. Well alright I loved my bb storm more then my Eris but the droid thing is pretty capable.

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
Verizon. When I'm out in BFO (Bum F**k Oregon) I get bars when nobody else does. I have the blackberry storm and it works good. AT&T is about to lose their exclusive iPhone rights, so the phone wars will be pretty crazy when that happens I expect.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,513 Posts
Verizon. When I'm out in BFO (Bum F**k Oregon) I get bars when nobody else does. I have the blackberry storm and it works good. AT&T is about to lose their exclusive iPhone rights, so the phone wars will be pretty crazy when that happens I expect.
Everybody I talk to with Verizon swears up and down they are gonna snag it up. We shall see.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Everybody I talk to with Verizon swears up and down they are gonna snag it up. We shall see.
Oh geeze, lets not try and figure this one out again, everyone says something different and the iPhone will only be able to operate on Verizon soon, I don't think they can sell the iPhone until the contract with att runs out. I personally enjoy Verizon's Droid Eris, in several ways it is better then the iPhone, in my opinion.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,513 Posts
Oh geeze, lets not try and figure this one out again, everyone says something different and the iPhone will only be able to operate on Verizon soon, I don't think they can sell the iPhone until the contract with att runs out. I personally enjoy Verizon's Droid Eris, in several ways it is better then the iPhone, in my opinion.
Ma'am, whys that bronco in your sig look damn similar to mine?

Well actually some people (from verizon) swear they're getting it and others tilt their head like "huh" if you bring it up.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
I have the Moto Droid and all I can say is wow. I am somewhat of a tech geek and am amazed at the stuff this thing will do. The voice recognition software is amazing, my work blackberry won't find anything near what I say when using it. I never use the actual keyboard, just the virtual one, and even with my big fingers it 95 percent of the time right. The apps are amazing, there are metal detector apps that work (ha ha iPhone), it is a completely open source, linux based (not microsoft based at all), so new apps will be showing up constantly for free or cheap. I can FTP into my phone either wifi or through the internet and take pics/music/movies off of it or onto it, it can be at home while I am at work and do this. There is so much more it can do.
So I know the original question was provider based, so I like Verizon here, but it depends on where you are at. I have been in places that Verizon phones barely work and At&T does, but Verizon seems to work in more places , better, where I am at.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Droid FTW

1 - 20 of 44 Posts