Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995 5.8, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, Extended RA's, 4.10's, 33" BFG's
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've about had it with this thing.
If you read an earlier thread of mine from 3 weeks ago Bronco was running rough then dying.
So turns out the ECU was fried after nearly 3 weeks of looking I finally found the correct unit.
So I installed the new ECU today although it runs much better the idle still randomly dips way down and sometimes it will die. I'm getting code 211(PIP circuit fault) I've had that code since the beginning of this mess after messing with it for another hour I check the codes again and am now getting code 629 which is a transmission code and the engine dies when I put it in drive.
I've replaced the ICM, Coil and the distributor was replaced about 15k miles ago with a brand new Motorcraft, plugs and wires were changed in May.
It also smells like its running a little rich.
If you got any suggestions please let me know.

Reactions: bsd4083

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,422 Posts
If the engine dies when putting into drive like someone just let off the clutch too fast, then the PCM/ECU is bad.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the engine dies when putting into drive like someone just let off the clutch too fast, then the PCM/ECU is bad.
Yeah, you just put in drive and it dies immediately. I have a ECU that Jeremy sent me and it does the same thing with that one too. So I'm not sure what that means lol, two ECU's defective in the same way?

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,422 Posts
Quick test is to pull the purple/ yellow wire out of the trans controller harness. If it doesn't die, then yes you have 2 bad ECUs

It wasn't until recently this issue started showing itself more frequently. Trucks are now pushing antiques, and so are the stock ECUs...

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quick test is to pull the purple/ yellow wire out of the trans controller harness. If it doesn't die, then yes you have 2 bad ECUs

It wasn't until recently this issue started showing itself more frequently. Trucks are now pushing antiques, and so are the stock ECUs...
The controller harness that connects to the trans/MLPS?
The ECU I got today was a reman, but I suppose that don't mean much

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,422 Posts
The controller harness that connects to the trans/MLPS?
The ECU I got today was a reman, but I suppose that don't mean much
Yes I believe so. Drivers side.

Plug the plug, pick out the retaining clip, gently pull the purple and yellow strip wire out, reinstall clip, plug back in, start truck and put it in drive.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I believe so. Drivers side.

Plug the plug, pick out the retaining clip, gently pull the purple and yellow strip wire out, reinstall clip, plug back in, start truck and put it in drive.
I'll give it a try tomorrow, Thanks

·
Super Moderator
28,203 Posts
Yo J,
As advised;
DTCs 91/621, 92/622, 93/626, 94, 629, 641 and 652 indicate solenoid did not change state when requested by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
DTC 566 or 629 indicates the CCO or SS3/4-4/3 did not change state when requested by the PCM.
Possible causes:
Damaged solenoid/assembly.
Open or shorted harness (internal/external).
Damaged PCM.
Note: Do not use a STAR Tester for this step. Use a VOM or DVOM.

Disconnect electrical connector on the speed control servo, if equipped.
VOM/DVOM on 20 volt scale.
Connect negative test lead to STO circuit at Data Link Connector (DLC) and meter positive test lead to B+.
Jumper STI circuit to SIG RTN at the DLC.
miesk5 Note, here is the DLC PIN DIAGRAM;

Perform Key On Engine Off Self-Test until Continuous Memory DTC have been displayed.
VOM/DVOM will indicate less than 1.0 volt when test is complete.
Depress and release throttle.
Does voltage increase?
Yes REMAIN in Output State DTM. GO to TC2.
No DEPRESS throttle to WOT and RELEASE. If STO voltage does not go high, PERFORM Pinpoint Test Step QC1. Leave equipment hooked up.

TC2 CHECK SOLENOID ELECTRICAL OPERATION
Key on, engine off.
Disconnect transmission connector.
Using a mirror, inspect both ends of the connector for damaged or pushed out pins, corrosion, loose wires, etc. Service as necessary.
Refer to the schematic and table of this Pinpoint Test.
Connect VOM/DVOM positive test lead to VPWR circuit and negative test lead to solenoid circuit of the transmission vehicle harness connector.
miesk5 Note, here is the 95 E4OD Solenoid Connector pin diagram;

VOM/DVOM on 20 volt scale.
While observing DVOM, depress and release throttle several times to cycle solenoid output ON and OFF.
Does the suspect solenoid output voltage change at least 0.5 volt?
Yes RECONNECT connector. REFER to the Transmission Group in the Service Manual.
No REMOVE jumper wire. GO to TC3.

TC3 CHECK CONTINUITY OF SOLENOID SIGNAL AND VPWR HARNESS CIRCUITS
Key off.
Solenoid transmission connector disconnected.
Disconnect Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Inspect for damaged or pushed out pins, corrosion, loose wires, etc. Service as necessary.
Install breakout box, leave PCM disconnected.
Refer to schematic and table in this Pinpoint Test.
Measure resistance between suspect PCM signal output pin at the breakout box and signal output pin at transmission vehicle harness connector.
Measure resistance between Test Pin 37/57 at the breakout box and VPWR pin at transmission vehicle harness connector.
Is each resistance less than 5.0 ohms?
Yes GO to TC4.
No SERVICE open circuit(s). REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT all components. RERUN Quick Test

TC4 CHECK SOLENOID HARNESS FOR SHORTS TO POWER OR GROUND
Key off.
Breakout box installed, PCM disconnected.
Transmission connector disconnected.
Refer to schematic and table in this Pinpoint Test.
Measure resistance between PCM signal output pin and Test Pin 37/57 at the breakout box.
Measure resistance between PCM signal output pin and Test Pins 40/60 and 46 at the breakout box and chassis ground.
Is each resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes REFER to Service Manual, Transmission Diagnosis for internal harness and solenoids. IF OK, REPLACE PCM. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT all components. RERUN Quick Test.
NoSERVICE short circuits. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT all components. RERUN Quick Test.

I can't find QC1. Will look for it tomorrow.
⊙⊙⊙

DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS) 553 AND 552: CHECK VOLTAGE OF VPWR CIRCUIT
AIRB/AIRD circuits shorted to power.
AIRB/AIRD circuits open or grounded.
AIRB/AIRD resistance out of range.
Damaged Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
DTCs 553 and 552 indicate that voltage output for Secondary Air Injection solenoid(s) did not change when activated.
miesk5 Note; this set of tests includes use of Ford's old Break-Out Box; so, as I mentioned in another thread here; In place of the break-out box, go to the EEC connector pin instead; substitute EEC connector pin Number for breakout box number. Using;
EEC IV Connector Pin Diagram
Source: by Ryan M at

EEC IV Connector Pin LEGEND Bronco & Ford Truck & Van: 4.9, 460, 5.0, 5.8;
Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at Ford Fuel Injection

Disconnect AIRB/AIRD solenoid connector.
Key on, engine off.
Measure voltage between VPWR circuit and battery ground of one solenoid, then repeat for the other solenoid.
Is each voltage greater than 10.5 volts?
Yes GO to KC10 .
No SERVICE open harness circuit. RECONNECT both solenoids. RERUN Quick Test.

KC10 MEASURE AIRB/AIRD SOLENOID RESISTANCE
Key off.
Disconnect both AIRB/AIRD solenoid connectors and measure both solenoid resistances.
Is each resistance between 50 and 100 ohms?
Yes go to KC11 .
No REPLACE AIRB/AIRD solenoid assembly. RECONNECT both solenoids. RERUN Quick Test.

KC11 CHECK CIRCUIT CONTINUITY
Key off.
Disconnect Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Inspect for damaged or pushed out pins, corrosion, loose wires, etc. Service as necessary.
Install breakout box, leave PCM disconnected.
Measure resistance between AIRB circuit at breakout box and AIRB circuit at vehicle harness connector.
Measure resistance between AIRD circuit at the breakout box and AIRD circuit at vehicle harness connector.
Is each resistance less than 5.0 ohms?
Yes Go to KC12 .
No SERVICE open harness circuit. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT PCM and both solenoids. RERUN Quick Test.

KC12 CHECK FOR SHORT TO GROUND
Key off.
Disconnect both AIRB/AIRD solenoids.
Measure resistance between AIRB circuit at the breakout box and Test Pins 40, 46 and 60. Measure resistance between AIRD circuit at the breakout box and Test Pins 40, 46 and 60 at the breakout box.
Yes GO to KC13 .
No SERVICE short to ground. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT PCM and AIRB/AIRD solenoids. RERUN Quick Test.

KC13 CHECK FOR SHORT TO POWER
Key off.
Both AIRB/AIRD solenoids disconnected.
Measure resistance between AIRB circuit at the breakout box and Test Pins 37 and 57. Measure resistance between AIRD circuit at the breakout box and Test Pins 37 and 57 at the breakout box.
Yes REPLACE PCM. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT both solenoids. RERUN Quick Test.
No SERVICE short to power. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT PCM and AIRB/AIRD solenoids. RERUN Quick Test. If DTC is present, REPLACE PCM.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just for the heck of it I checked my fuel pressure this morning and have 26 psi at idle with vacuum to the regulator and about 32 psi with engine off, it seems a little low but not sure if it would cause the running/idle problem.
I didn't get a chance to dig into the code 629 transmission problem yet.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,932 Posts
Just for the heck of it I checked my fuel pressure this morning and have 26 psi at idle with vacuum to the regulator and about 32 psi with engine off, it seems a little low but not sure if it would cause the running/idle problem.
I didn't get a chance to dig into the code 629 transmission problem yet.
That fuel pressure is below the normal range..your pump might be on it's way out..

Reactions: GetBent4x4

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,932 Posts
what's the fuel pressure with the vacuum line off while running?? It should be around 40..

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what's the fuel pressure with the vacuum line off while running?? It should be around 40..
I forgot to check it with the vacuum off, I'm going to do it this afternoon.
Between the code 629 and dying when I put it in drive plus running like crap I think I have a electrical problem somewhere. Its doing the same exact thing with the new(reman) ECU as it did with the one you sent me.
I'm gunna try Sackmans suggestion in post #4 but I'm leaning towards the ECU being ok.
I daily drove this thing for 11 years and NEVER had a breakdown and now two weeks after I sell my second car it takes a dump...LOL

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so I have about 35.5 psi with engine running and no vacuum to the regulator
25-26 psi with vacuum and engine running
and 34 psi engine off.
I've got like a 6 year old Delphi pump in it.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
how old is the fuel filter? no name brand filter? Just guessing. but the fuel pressure should be close to 40. Sack's wire route and checking TPS with multimeter would be something I would check also. Just because it sounds TPS related but I'm not looking at the codes either, so it could be a waste of time.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Code 211 points to an ignition problem… not fuel… ha e you pulled your distributor and checked for shaft wear? If the shaft is fine, then the stator is bad.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how old is the fuel filter? no name brand filter? Just guessing. but the fuel pressure should be close to 40. Sack's wire route and checking TPS with multimeter would be something I would check also. Just because it sounds TPS related but I'm not looking at the codes either, so it could be a waste of time.
The fuel filter is only about a month old, I use WIX filters so I ruled that out. I'm gunna test the TPS tomorrow

Code 211 points to an ignition problem… not fuel… ha e you pulled your distributor and checked for shaft wear? If the shaft is fine, then the stator is bad.
The distributor is a brand new Motorcraft with only about 15k miles on it, so I'm ruling that out for now. The stator passed the pulse test when I checked it. I had the 211 code for a year or so but the truck ran great so I ignored it, even when I cleared it it would pop back up, maybe whatever was triggering got progressively worse and thats what I'm dealing with.
The trans code 629 has me stumped

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,932 Posts
@JScatt , you've probably already researched this, so if you have feel free to ignore..that 629 code is related to the torque converter clutch circuit in the solenoid pack..symptoms are exactly as you describe, truck dies when put into gear..have you checked the wiring to the solenoid yet? If you have and it's good then it sounds like you may have a problem with the solenoid itself..

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@JScatt , you've probably already researched this, so if you have feel free to ignore..that 629 code is related to the torque converter clutch circuit in the solenoid pack..symptoms are exactly as you describe, truck dies when put into gear..have you checked the wiring to the solenoid yet? If you have and it's good then it sounds like you may have a problem with the solenoid itself..
No, I haven't checked any of the wiring yet, its all still in the factory loom so I'll have to cut it all open and take a look. Besides the MLPS is there any other electrical connectors on the trans?
The trans problem and running crappy problem happened at the same time so its either a huge coincidence or they are related some how plus the fact that my ECU had major damage and replacing it solved zero problems.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,932 Posts
No, I haven't checked any of the wiring yet, its all still in the factory loom so I'll have to cut it all open and take a look. Besides the MLPS is there any other electrical connectors on the trans?
The trans problem and running crappy problem happened at the same time so its either a huge coincidence or they are related some how plus the fact that my ECU had major damage and replacing it solved zero problems.
The connection I'm talking about (harness to solenoid pack) is on the passenger side. It's located behind a little heat shield, you'll find it coming off the harness down into the plug going into the tranny..I'd focus on that connection..check for dirt, corrosion, frayed wires..

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This morning I tested my TPS and its definitely bad, I checked voltage and ground to the TPS and both are fine. So I ordered a Motorcraft replacement, in the mean time I'm going to check the trans wiring.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts