Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i ran into a buddy of mine and found out he owns a welding shop. And said he make me a bumper for my truck for free :thumbup with all the scrap metels they have. but i have chrome bumper now on my truck, and like the look so i was thinking of using dimond plate cause my uncle can get it cheap. so my question is steel or aluminum ,and how thick ,and i need info on what works well ,and ideas on what to do. i have looked at lots of threads and pics and found what i liked as far as looks. id like to incorporate a spot for a whinch and tow shackels and a brush gaurd. so any ideas or tips

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
If your planning on abusing it at all use steel especialy if your putting a winch on there. Then you need to make sure you are mounting it right because your stock mounts wont hold up, they will bend or tear easy. I would suggest using 3/16-1/4 plate and put some gussetsi n to make it as rigid as possible.
I also would look at aproach angles, lugs or d-rings for pulling points, how you are mounting lights(inside the bumper or on top). Your best bet is to get a pad of paper and sit down to brainstorm on what you want this thing to look like before starting.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,070 Posts
I'm not personally a fan of diamond plate, but build it to your taste as long as it's strong. Flying bumpers are bad.

Here's several bumper links, many with pics & some build info. There should be lots of good ideas in there.
Bumpers
New Bumper Pics ToddACimer
Custom F/R bumper pics 80-96 derrick36 -Lots o' bumpers.
VOTE For Oct. '06 FOTM Dave's Bronc 90 -Heavy duty 4-1/2" rear tube bumper. Posts 325 & 327.
Rear Bumper Build GKR -Rear winch bumper with left swing tire, hi lift, & gas carrier
It Begins...(Rear Bumper) 56K Death Tommy R -Bumper with angled tire carrier.
Rear bumper rebuild for tire carrier triplesix -Left swing tire carrier with gas can, hi lift, & Dana 44 hub hinge (Hinge in post 21).
Rear Bumper Build waltman -Amazing custom bumper with tire carrier that swings down or out. Finished bumper in posts 156 &168. Video of operation at bottom of post 112.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah iv got a pic of somthing similar to what i want, but it wont upload. and yes which is definaly goin on its a 8000lb warn and i was thinking d rings, and also a tow hitch. but lights are goin on the roof for now. i was also thinking of a storage compartment for straps and stuff, so i dont have to throw a wet strap in my truck. and i was planing on the dimond plate for looks. and also what should i do about the crumple zone on the frame is it ok how it is or reinforcit?

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
I made this piece of crap out of an old winch mount, bent Superlift radius arms and scrap laying arond the shop.

·
A D M I N in training
2,973 Posts
I made this piece of crap out of an old winch mount, bent Superlift radius arms and scrap laying arond the shop.

doesn't look bad for scrap:thumbup

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Thanks Kabong, for the flattering description. Unfortunately, my new job made it uneconomical to continue driving my Bronco so now it sits and instead I'm driving an Explorer. I WAS planning on making a front bumper this summer, but I guess that will have to wait now.

doesn't look bad for scrap:thumbup
That's what I was thinking. Too bad he didn't aim the light pockets straight ahead though.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I would go with 3/16, 1/4 get real heavy real fast. I made mine that way. I also used my stock mounts with the stock bolts etc.... I just added one grade 8, 1/2 inch bolt sideways through the frame and through the bumper and havent had any problems. Ive yanked people out of places, been yanked and not one time did that bumper even flinch

·
Registered
271 Posts
i built this on my own..wont to bad

·
Registered
271 Posts
wats the x for?

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
I put that up before I realized that all the pics are showing up as little red X's, I thought it was just the pic you posted. I guess its something on my end.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow that bumper is sweet, it very similar to what I planed. Do you have any blueprints on it and how thick is the metel

·
Registered
271 Posts
naw no blueprints..all it is structral c channel from frame rail to frame rail..secured very well.and then 16 gauge metal on the ends..i didnt build the ends to be be able to ram something just so i could mount licenses plate and kc lights. i just designed them with a peice of 26 gauge metal so i could tell wat i wanted to do ( how,were to break). but i could take measurements if u really want them.. thanks

·
Registered
271 Posts
u just need measurements on the corners? ill pm them to u

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Ill try to find my pics too, its not setup for a winch, but it has a tool box in it. I put a front receiver in it so I can use it as recovery, to push things, or to do a removable winch so I can winch from front or back. Plus its far enough out off the front to stand on which really proves nice when I dont have a step ladder to get into the engine bay :thumbup

1 - 20 of 30 Posts