Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am worried about the gas prices, as of course everyone else is. Is there or could there be any way to get a basic allowance for transportation. We all get BAS to buy groceries. I think that the god ol govt should help us in the pocket buy lobbying a bill to support us in the rising cost of petrol. Would love to here any views or comments. Thanks James

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Or they could just do something about the prices themselves... But at the end of the day, nothing will happen until people start rioting.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Lobby to drill in ANWR or stop shipping our oil all over the world.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I would think that the difference in fuel costs around the world would be made up in the COLA that you would recieve in the high cost of living areas.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Blue'87GT said:
I would think that the difference in fuel costs around the world would be made up in the COLA that you would recieve in the high cost of living areas.
Translation please?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cola = cost of living allowance it is what some people, mostly overseas and in area were it cost a lot to live, get to compensate for being so poor.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
like i said SOME people and usually it is not enough, that is another area that needs some attention

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
OHHHH, okay. I thought he was talking about soda... I was like "What does soda have to do with compensation for gas prices?"

·
Registered
52 Posts
OK, how about living on base so you don't have to spend so much on fuel. How about the people who are in the civilian sector, do they get compensated by there employer because they have to drive back and forth to work? Don't think so. Not knocking the military. Did 20 years active duty as an enlisted man and damn proud of it, but I was quite happy with the pay and did not feel that the world owed me a damn thing. Most of the working class people with the same number of years at a job as you do in the military do not make as much as you. Check the numbers, its a fact. I love the military and was very proud to serve but I get sick and tired of people crying that they have it so bad. Suck it up, thats what the military does. USN Retired Gunner

·
Registered
930 Posts
I'm with borgker...you think your pay now is bad relative to the civilian sector??? You should have been in back in the 80's like I was - I made $680 a month (before tax) in basic training as an E-2...that was before all the "We need to take care of the troops" hoopla of recent years. It is great that troops are making proportionally more now than any military in history...but to subsidize their travel to and from work...I don't buy it. If it is a problem, sign up for on-post housing and take a shuttle to work.

Just my two cents.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I've gotta pile on here; gas prices suck, but there is absolutely NO reason for additional pay based on that. If you can't afford to drive around you need to live on base, it sucks ass but I had to do it, so can you. I did six years of active duty, never had what I would consider a surplus of cash lying around, but the pay was fair.

[HIJACK]In fact, the biggest hose job as far as pay is concerned is how much extra the married guys make as compared to the single guys. Show me one civilian job where you get a fat pay raise just for getting hitched. Thats complete B.S. I wanted to find some chic on death row to marry just for the pay raise, but ended up getting out instead.:shrug[/HIJACK]

·
Registered
930 Posts
Exactly Dave. And yeah, I remember being jealous of my married buddies 'cause they were making fat cash comapired to me.

Not to mention...umm, they had pu$$y every night and all I had was...ummm...uh, that's a different thread...:brownbag

(That Hanes sock will never forgive me...)

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
I'm not making any extra money as a result of being married... granted if I lived off base I would get with dependt rate BAH vs single. The real scams are the military married to military.. they make out like bandits :)

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Dave's Bronc 90 said:
[HIJACK]In fact, the biggest hose job as far as pay is concerned is how much extra the married guys make as compared to the single guys. Show me one civilian job where you get a fat pay raise just for getting hitched. Thats complete B.S. I wanted to find some chic on death row to marry just for the pay raise, but ended up getting out instead.:shrug[/HIJACK]
They're actually at doing away with that and making everyone get paid the same..right in the middle...hopefully :rockon

And..the pay is decent...gas isn't THAT expensive, really.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Leardc said:
I'm not making any extra money as a result of being married... granted if I lived off base I would get with dependt rate BAH vs single. The real scams are the military married to military.. they make out like bandits :)
Actually military shackin up with military. thats Freakin 1800 between the 2 of ya for BAH as only a E-4.

I live on base and the town is far enough that if we didnt have a little trailer park town 2 miles from base with a Post Office we would be getting that $250 hardship for being out in the boonies. It sucks. Gas is always 10 cents more expensive as other towns in town as well, and about 4-5 cheaper on base. Drive 100 miles one way to save the 10 cents though.:banghead

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, first of all I do live on base. The cost of living here in Cali is the reason behind that choice. If I had a choice I would leave Cali. The base is so big that it takes 15 min one way to get to work. Just from housing. They could pay me BAH which would be about 1100 but everything worth living in cost at least 1400-1500. This is where the cost of living comes in. You see the military authorizes me to have a 4 bedroom unit on base yet they will not cover the amount for the same size place off base. Fuel is the same situation, cost of living. The fuel prices go up and the cost of living goes up. They pay for me to live in a house, how come they can pay me to drive to work. I dont think I am asking too much to be compensated for hard work and sacrifice I put in to every waking moment because my friend they do have every waking moment. If I ruffled some feathers then so be it, I do believe I have earned that right.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Dude, you've got the cat's ass. Fed, housed, insurance, most everything taken care of for you THEN you get a decent salary. Is your paycheck alot? Not particularly, but your net salary is huge in comparison when you tack on all the other things. If I could join up, I wouldn't care. Maybe I'm not as particular

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Hey, I got $60 a month on USAF active duty to start in '58. Got up to $160/mo when I went into the Reserves as an E-4 in '62.

But that aside, Lackland and Biloxi had on-base gas stations (brand name) that ran under the PX. Prices were a whole lot less than off-base because they were exempt from state and Federal taxes. Have they gone away?

·
Registered
135 Posts
ya live on base, you have just phone and cable bills.. you're food is covered by bas..... why in h e double hockey sticks should they pay you to drive to work????? if gas is so expensive, buy a geo metro......... lol. i got out of the air farce in 01, i was living on base, and had more liquid cash than when i was living off base............ so quit yer bitchin...... my .02...........

1 - 20 of 41 Posts