Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 9mm pistol but like the idea of owning a revolver. the taurus 905 shown here makes perfect sense, but i dont know much about it. anyone have/shot one of these? how about the taurus brand in general?

all questions/comments welcome. thanks.

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
I Tawt we were gonna stay away from these types of questions {Firearms}.... :shrug

Allcruisen :imp :usa

·
Original FSB.COM Owner
9,560 Posts
allcruisen said:
I Tawt we were gonna stay away from these types of questions {Firearms}.... :shrug

Allcruisen :imp :usa
talking about them is A OK, we're just not allowing them to be sold thru FSB, thats all :thumbup carry on

·
Registered
694 Posts
I don't know much, but what I do know is that short of a revolver is probably going to recoil quite a bit. If you want it for very close encounters then go for it. If you want to shoot a target more than 5 feet away I would stay away from something that small.

·
Registered
415 Posts
If its for personal carry a revolver is more reliable. Also if it is than your distance will be from 8-15 ft anyways. Hammer or hammerless is all a matter of opinion. If you have to draw it for defense the adrenaline will kick in and it won't matter. Also if a knife is drawn and hes within 15 ft he's got you, you won't be able to draw, aim and hit him before he gets you. Maybe to much info... or to much Evan Williams. If your able to fire the gun before you buy than do it. It all looks good on paper but in action it might be totally something different then what you are expecting. Good Luck on your endeavors

·
Registered
99 Posts
Taurus makes a very good revolver, almost as good as S&W, which you will notice they seem to be copying. They started out to be quite a bit less as the Smith. However, they have proven to be very good firearms. The price is very comparable to the Smith, as is the quality.

They make 5 shots in a hamerless with an alloy frame. They are great for concealed carry. I am still not crazy about the 9mm in the revolver. I would go with a .38 rate for +P or a .357 and carry the .38's.

·
Registered
787 Posts
2 things...

1. The 905 uses "moon clips" yuck! Pain in the ass. Other than that the 905 is a nice revolver. A GIRL co-worker has one, and I've shot it a few times.

2. Why 9MM? Get a .357 Mag. It'll also shoot .38's to keep the costs down. The .357 Mag is one of the best handgun cartridges ever.

"9MM revolver" ... just doesn't sound right.

Oh yeah.. S&W's are great... well... not the new ones anyway. They've all go the stupid lock in 'em now.

Find a nice Colt Detective special or an older (pre-lock) S&W. If ya want to go new also look into the Ruger SP101... they may be ugly, but they're built like the proverbial brick shithouse!

About a year ago I found a sweet 4" Colt Trooper MkIII, and it's the best revolver I've ever owned.

Don't get a 9MM revolver..... they'e just..... gay.

-Paul

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Taurus buys it molds and designs from the big companies then makes them out of country. They are a good gun for a good price. Wheel gun or semi-auto is personal choice. I personally don't like revolvers for carry. I've seen more than one that wouldn't cycle the cylinder around. I would definately not buy a revolver that used moon clips unless it was for the sole purpose of back up and was the same caliber as the primary piece. Make sure you shoot it before you buy it. My wife used to own a Taurus revolver in 38 then we got her a 9mm Taurus Semiauto. She carry's her gun daily and trusts it. Good Luck

·
FSM Lifetime
4,611 Posts
sascrotch said:
i have a 9mm pistol but like the idea of owning a revolver. the taurus 905 shown here makes perfect sense, but i dont know much about it. anyone have/shot one of these? how about the taurus brand in general?

all questions/comments welcome. thanks.

I own a taurus 38 special 5 shot revolver and I love it. Mine is an 85 series, but pretty similar.

·
Banned
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ValkariaKid said:
2 things...

1. The 905 uses "moon clips" yuck! Pain in the ass. Other than that the 905 is a nice revolver. A GIRL co-worker has one, and I've shot it a few times.

2. Why 9MM? Get a .357 Mag. It'll also shoot .38's to keep the costs down. The .357 Mag is one of the best handgun cartridges ever.

"9MM revolver" ... just doesn't sound right.

Oh yeah.. S&W's are great... well... not the new ones anyway. They've all go the stupid lock in 'em now.

Find a nice Colt Detective special or an older (pre-lock) S&W. If ya want to go new also look into the Ruger SP101... they may be ugly, but they're built like the proverbial brick shithouse!

About a year ago I found a sweet 4" Colt Trooper MkIII, and it's the best revolver I've ever owned.

Don't get a 9MM revolver..... they'e just..... gay.

-Paul
1. use of the moon clips is not required.

2. i already stated why 9mm. plus its about 10 cents per round for winchester fmj, which keeps the cost down at the range.

its funny you mention the older S&W's... my dad has an old j-frame set aside for me to pick up next time i'm back in illinois. not sure of the exact age but according to him its a mid/late sixties chief's special. he inherited it from his older brother years ago.

as far as it being "gay"... not quite the feedback i was looking for. dont forget, ruger also makes two different 9mm revolvers these days.

thanks to everyone for the unbiased opinions/info... keep 'em comin'.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
i like my sp101 .357. my personal choice for a cc piece is my kimber .45. i only have a few wheel guns, wouldn't carry one for cc, other than as a backup. or if i was in bear country and wanted to carry something big. my favorite wheelgun i own is my ruger vaquero .45 long. man that thing is sweet.

but for cc i choose an automatic anyday over a revolver.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
It is a fairly decent gun for the price.

I have not shot the 9mm version, but I can understand going that calibur. When I was in TX i chl was a colt mkIII with a snub nose. Little big, but seeing as I found it for 150, I thought it was a steal compared to the glock 26 or 27 I wanted. When i get more coin, I will go with the glock, but nothing wrong with the gun you are looking at. I am just not a fan of the trigger pull. I have been spoiled by my comp gun with a sub 2lb almost 0 pretravel trigger. In addition, while you will probably never fire, and if you do, you will probably never need more then the 5 shot, I still prefer having a few extra.

Why is everyone down on moon clips. my revolvers are not cut for them, but I have competed with a few 686s with them and they were a hell of a good time for me and I didn't run into any problems/complaints. loading/unloading them was a pain, but damn, the guy whose gun I was using had 100 of the damn things.

·
Banned
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i guess i should also mention that my main carry is a kahr P9. definitely not popular, but suits my needs perfectly.

as far as this revolver goes, its more of a want than a need. growing up i used to listen to the old man go on and on about how wheel guns are better than autos.

most likely it would sit in the safe in my closet except for the occastional trip to the range. i might carry it every once in a while, but the P9 will still be my usual ccw.

this is all pending a sale of course. the ranges around here don't have one that i can shoot, so i might just take the plunge... still deciding.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Taurus makes great revolvers. Especially the raging bull, thats a sweet revolver.

anyway, im a fan .357 revolvers, since you can shoot .38 special out of them, which is dirt cheap around here.

anywho, it looks like a great revolver, have fun with it if you end up going for it.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I can understand the 9mm revolver thing. It would be cheap to shoot and would make a great backup for a 9mm auto. Taurus makes decent revolvers although I hate the lock that they have now. I have an m605 .357 which shoots fine and is great for carry. It's a DAO with the shaved hammer so Taurus does make them. My only complaint with mine was the trigger pull which had to have been over 20#s. I replaced the factory trigger and hammer springs with an 11# set of wolf springs which was a huge improvement.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Im looking at a Taurus PT-145 (Milinium Pro), very nice auto and well priced.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts