Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been cruising car lots since i could drive. What do all those little paint marks mean? maybe just a dot on the headlight lense or a little dot on the glass. Most people would not notice them, are they there to signal the sales people or what? I know it must be some sort of secret code, like we are making a bundle on this car so do not come down on the price. hehe, or it could mean that it has been serviced or detailed. Can anyone on the inside shed some light on this??? :shrug

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
On the windshield they would be the paint pens from the auction. Year, mileage, auction stock number are all written on the windshield at our (and everyone elses) auctions. Paint so it does not wash off easy.

Sometimes the selling dealer will paint some highlights of the cars selling points.

Basically the dealer that has it on the lot did a crappy job of detailing it after they received it from auction.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
No that's not what he's talking about..it looks like someone held a can of spray paint up and just went Spttt...a little dot of paint, on the headlights mostly..:shrug

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hmmmm......

The last two rental cars I got both had little green circle stickers right in the middle of one taillight.

Maybe it is a way of signaling the aliens as to which drivers to take first..... :confused

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Yeah I have seen those too - what the hell are they for.

My boss even bought me a 2003 Chevy a month ago and it had the same marks.
There orange, a short line on the windshield and a V on the headlight

:shrug :shrug :shrug :shrug :shrug

·
Registered
74 Posts
Im not a salesmen but the dealer i used to work for put the paint on the headlights for how long the vechicle was sitting on the lot. 1 dot every month

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blaze said:
No that's not what he's talking about..it looks like someone held a can of spray paint up and just went Spttt...a little dot of paint, on the headlights mostly..:shrug
exactly blaze, somtimes just like a paint marker, you know like you use to mark parts. I have seen where some lots have done a crappy job taking off auction numbers or dates, these are different. On the lot i looked at there were backwards B's on the headlight lenses, and a dot with a half circle around it on the lowest part of front windshield like down where the VIN is. they used a sharpie marker. I am just gonna call them up and randomly ask them. See what they say.

Someone on here has to know what the deal is with these marks... :slap

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
It could mean the car came from an auction. Auctioneers do all kinds of little marks so they know exactly how much they have to get at a minimum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found three markings on the car I just bought

"H" white-out paste marking on windshield and two of the same on rear window
factory CPO car, car fax indicated it was never at an auction
tried to find explanation and thought I share this remark from
snopes:

The seemingly mysterious ‘X’ markings on vehicles have simple explanations, ones that have nothing to do with criminal intentions: they’re put there by manufacturers, vendors, used car dealers, auction houses, car washes, or auto repair facilities, and can indicate anything from which services or repairs a vehicle owner has requested to what types of work has already been performed on a vehicle. In short, they’re guides to assist those who fix, sell, and clean cars, not “come get me” signals to car thieves.

I have emailed the dealership to inquire further.

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,198 Posts
"H" white-out paste marking on windshield and two of the same on rear window
factory CPO car, car fax indicated it was never at an auction
tried to find explanation and thought I share this remark from
snopes:

The seemingly mysterious ‘X’ markings on vehicles have simple explanations, ones that have nothing to do with criminal intentions: they’re put there by manufacturers, vendors, used car dealers, auction houses, car washes, or auto repair facilities, and can indicate anything from which services or repairs a vehicle owner has requested to what types of work has already been performed on a vehicle. In short, they’re guides to assist those who fix, sell, and clean cars, not “come get me” signals to car thieves.

I have emailed the dealership to inquire further.
Be sure to let us know what you find. You'll be solving an FSB mystery that has persisted over a decade :)

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
To further deepen the mystery...

I recently took a new vehicle on a test drive.

It had several of the paint markings on it, including on each tire/wheel to seemingly make sure the tire is not slipping on the rim.

The dealer threw an unacceptable price at me and I walked.

Fast forward 2 days.

Dealer communicates with me over email, we agree to a price and I will come get the car.

When I arrived to pick it up, the marks were all gone!!!!

Where did they go?

Did they remove them because I refused to pay for any of the dealer add ons ($299 for nitrogen in the tires, $500 "protection pkg", etc)?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Dots on the tire bead (usually yellow) are put there by the tire manufacturer. It's meant to line up with the valve stem so the tire is easier to balance. Don't ask me how that works.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hi, I can help. The dots on the lenses indicate a need for either a bulb, a whole assy., or restoration. On windshield indicate repair areas. On body, you guessed it... ..touch up or repaint. Tires - which ones to replace.

·
Super Moderator
2,134 Posts
Dots on the tire bead (usually yellow) are put there by the tire manufacturer. It's meant to line up with the valve stem so the tire is easier to balance. Don't ask me how that works.
Back in the day,25yrs ago. you are right it is for balancing purposes to match tire and wheel for the best possible balance and minimal run out,.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts