Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a motorized trailer mover using an ATV winch but the winch doesn't work. The winch instructions say to route the red wire to the "key on" position in the atv ignition switch, which I don't have. Any ideas what the "key on" position does for a winch? Or how to circumnavigate this dilemma? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
That means a wire that has power when the key is on. If you don't have an ignition, a hot wire when the batt is connected should work.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's working! Connected it to the battery, like you said, and it works great! Haven't moved my BBQ trailer to the backyard yet, been raining all day and I have to go thru my front yard. Tomorrow will be the checkride. Thanks! Doug

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Since you don't have an on/off switch, unhook everything from the battery when not in use.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I disconnected everything after my solo. I only have backyard access on one side of my house and unfortunately you have to drive across my front lawn to get into the backyard, so, this is my alternative to replacing underground sprinklers and filling in ruts. Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
So it pushes/pulls a trailer around? That's pretty clever. Is there a sprocket welded to the winch spool?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, forward and backwards. I had to modify the winch, ground down one of the spool sides and put a sprocket on it with a key to hold it in place. Bought the plans off E-Bay, fun project even though I'm a novice welder and obviously not an electrician. :)

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,686 Posts
Now THAT's a pretty damn creative solution! Where there's a will... :thumbup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts