Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my iPod hooked up via monster cable to my JVC KD-LH3100 head unit. When I try to turn up the knob on the head unit, it does nothing. Its only when I turn up the volume on the actual iPod that the music goes up. Its annoying because I have to have the iPod on its max volume and its still very hard to hear when I have the windows down (no I wont roll up the windows because then I wont have any AC which just isnt going to fly).

Now the thing is, there must be something going on. My friend has an Xterra and he uses an iTrip. When he turns up the knob on his head unit the music gets louder. I tried an iTrip too but when I turned up the volume it only turned up the ambiant noise and slight other reception in the background. Once again it was only when I turned up the sound on the iPod that the music got louder.

When I got my head unit a guy told me that I need some kind of equalizer kind of thing. I forget what it was called exactly. He said I need it for my volume control to work properly because right now, the max volume I can stand is 50 but that the volume is only halfway turned up. It probably goes up to 100. 50 is extremely loud. Could this have something to do with why I cannot control my iPod through my head unit?

·
Registered
173 Posts
yea, something definately sounds weird. The best sound you can get from the ipod is if it is hard wired to your headunit. If using the i-trip, the ipod volume control should be set between 1/2 to 3/4 or else major distortion occurs. I have my ipod hardwired to my pioneer deck via the cd changer input. I run it just like i do at home, crank the volume on the ipod, then use the deck volume controls to control actual volume. Not sure what the guy is talking about when he says you need some kind of eq thing. Is your model jvc using an input in the front of the face plate? thats how I ran my pod to the wife's jvc and volume control works fine through the deck. It's late but I'll look tomarrow at what her model # is. Something is definately up though, you should be able to control the volume at the deck.

·
Registered
223 Posts
if you are using the RCA's with the cable you might have it plugged into the wrong rca and crossing signal and could cancel out regular sound.. I had this problem with my head unit when i hooked up a dvd player to it and switching it to the other set of rca's worked perfectly

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah its hooked up the the RCAs in the back. I had to unplug it one time and I thought I switched it just to see but no differance. Ill try switching it and keeping track.

That equalizer thing, its like this little blue box and thats about all I remember. Its probably not an equalizer but I cant think of any other term that it could possibly be.

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
i have just a mp3 player, not an expensive ipod, and i used the fm trasmitter with it, and dont like the sound quality, but you can turn the sound up on the mp3 player and headunit.

after reading this thread i know what the rca's on my jvc is for

·
Registered
36 Posts
JB said:
i have just a mp3 player, not an expensive ipod, and i used the fm trasmitter with it, and dont like the sound quality, but you can turn the sound up on the mp3 player and headunit.

after reading this thread i know what the rca's on my jvc is for
Those RCAs may just be for a sub (outgoing sound).

Your head unit should be able to control the volume for any auxilliary input device. It does sound like there is a problem. I have a 3.5 mm Aux Input jack that I added to my head unit (headphone jack size) and use a double male cable from the headphone output of my mp3 player. Not as fancy as some hardwired units since I can't contol the play lists and can't read the id tags on the head unit, but a lot cheaper. BUt I do have to have the sound on my mp3 player on max and the volume of my head unit just slightly higher than normal. Same goes for my wifes player and head unit combo.

Check the manual for your headunit and see if it allows you to set the level for the input of auxilliary sources. You might be able to set that. WHich would help. Good luck.

Dain

·
user title
2,211 Posts
:stupid
best answer so far

Not knowing the model of your HU - I am not sure what RCAs it has in the rear.

My high end Pioneer does not even have the input RCAs. Very few (at least when I was an installer) had input RCAs from the factory, you almost always needed adapters.

Good luck! Post your fix!
Bill

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
gr8dain said:
Those RCAs may just be for a sub (outgoing sound).

Your head unit should be able to control the volume for any auxilliary input device. It does sound like there is a problem. I have a 3.5 mm Aux Input jack that I added to my head unit (headphone jack size) and use a double male cable from the headphone output of my mp3 player. Not as fancy as some hardwired units since I can't contol the play lists and can't read the id tags on the head unit, but a lot cheaper. BUt I do have to have the sound on my mp3 player on max and the volume of my head unit just slightly higher than normal. Same goes for my wifes player and head unit combo.

Check the manual for your headunit and see if it allows you to set the level for the input of auxilliary sources. You might be able to set that. WHich would help. Good luck.

Dain

on my headunit, it has axulary input and if you want to turn it on or off, and something about cd changer, idk i need to read about it, cause ive forgotten

edit: just read, there outputs on mine. but i know in settings it has something about auxilary input or cd changer

damn thing wont read mp3s, but still sells at $285. almost bought an xplod that sells for 130 the other day and it reads mp3's

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
i looked at mine, and its got a ceq link, and it searches for data when u hit ok but it dont find anything. its also got external link, and when u go into that, it has cd changer and input. so now im confused if it has a input or not

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:stupid
best answer so far

Not knowing the model of your HU - I am not sure what RCAs it has in the rear.

My high end Pioneer does not even have the input RCAs. Very few (at least when I was an installer) had input RCAs from the factory, you almost always needed adapters.

Good luck! Post your fix!
Bill
JVC KD-LH3100 head unit

It has 2 sets of the red and white female ends on the back. Those are the RCA's right? Now I have this green wire and I think from what I remember, it has a red and white male RCA connector on the end. The wire came from the factory marked with like "Subwoofer" as a sticker on the wire. I guess I have to pull it out again and take a good look at the back of it.

Also, I looked in the manual for aux input, but it just says "now use the volume knob to change the sound accordingly" so that pretty much dosnt help at all.

·
Registered
223 Posts
okay first thing i need from ya is the specific model number for the ipod adapter you have from monter cable.......

Ok I was looking at the installation manual for your specfic player. It looks like you need a lineout adapter to use the ipod with your player. Your player doesnt have any Line In plugs except for the CD changers and that is a different plug altogether. The whole volume issue might be the way you are plugging it in also.

you need this right here.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
jeremiah2 said:
okay first thing i need from ya is the specific model number for the ipod adapter you have from monter cable.......

Ok I was looking at the installation manual for your specfic player. It looks like you need a lineout adapter to use the ipod with your player. Your player doesnt have any Line In plugs except for the CD changers and that is a different plug altogether. The whole volume issue might be the way you are plugging it in also.

you need this right here.

Well I took these a few minutes ago, right before I checked back here. I see where that adapter goes. As you can see in the pictures those RCAs are labeled "Line Out". So I guess I for sure need to buy that adapter? Also I was plugging the cable right into either red and white one. You can see the monster cable from the picture, I got it from radio shack. I really have no clue the model # but I am sure I could look it up if I had to. I think the mystery is solved now though. I just need to get that adapter :shrug

Edit: This should work right? It dosnt have that box in the middle of it but I mean it says its the same model # as do the rest listed on ebay.

·
Registered
223 Posts
that adapter should be the adapter to fix the problem as far as i know but if it doesnt work then you ipod is ipieceofpoo

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I bought this. Its basically what jeremiah showed but it has a male RCA end that goes to that headphone jack. works great! fixed my problems. Thanks again for the help, especially jeremiah :thumbup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts