Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Try to install a Aussie locker in my 8.8. The tollerance between the axle gears and the pinion shaft is to tight. Is is suppost to be between .006 - .020, but I can not even get a .002 feeler gauge in between.

If I remove the washer on the back side of the axle gears, I have no problem geeting the .006 min. tolerance needed. Just wondering if to tight is really BAD? Wondering if would be ok till got some wear on other parts.

I am using the original side geat washers and have a new pinion shaft. Thought I would run this buy you guys while waiting on tech support from Aussie to reply! Was wondering if my carrier is bad news?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I before installing my Aussie locker, I went ahead and got a new spider gear pinion shaft, and new side washers, just incase mine where worn out and exceed the max tolerance for the gap between pinion gears.

It is just the opposite! The min. gap spec. is .145! Biggest I can get in there is .117:doh0715: Aussie tech tells me to either get thinner washers, maybe some shims might be thinner, or a different carrier.:banghead

I went with the Aussie locker for the ease of installiing and price. Ford wants around $25.00 for each shim and they are non-returnable.

Any suggestions before I put my spider gear back in and put this locker up forsale. It never goes together like it is suppost to for me!:cry

·
Service before Self
136 Posts
I may have some shims from when my 8.8 exploded and I swapped in the 10.25... I picked up the pieces of the carrier and I may have saved the shims. I'll run by the shop tomorrow and look. If I've got them you can have them.. just pay for a stamp...

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Good luck dude. I would love to hear how you like this thing in the rear of your Bronco.

·
Service before Self
136 Posts
Well I thought I might get lucky and they would be at the house. I found the Carrier Retainer bolts & straps (or whatever you call them) along with all the old brake hardware for the front (did the Chevy 8 lug hub/rotor/brake conversion) and the center pin but the other stuff is def. at the shop. I remember now. Its sitting on the strainer for the old oil tank. I'll take a ride down there in the AM. I am sure there is an assortment down there anyway, I'll be able to send you a handful of them... PM me your address and I'll just drop them in the mail (hopefully tomorrow)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RescueBronc, thanks for the shims, will see if can use? I also just dropped off the two Aussie axle gears where the washer go, with a machinest I know and he is going to give them to another machinest he knows who has a precision grinder, to see if he can grind off .020 off each axle gear where the washer rides, and of coarse a $$ figure!

I know this will void the warranty, but my next option I am looking at is a $500.00 PowerTrax locker, and only have $300.00 in the Aussie sofar, and no garranty the PowerTrax will fix either.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RescueBronc,

Well, Since I had it apart I replaced all thhe rear brake compents, and new outer axle bearing and seals and then put the spider gears back in.

I dropped off the Aussie axle gears with a machinst, who ground off .020 off of each one where the washers go. So, hopefully between the grinding and the washers you sent, which I have not recieved yet, I will have the tollerence in the center I need.

The gears are ready, just trying to get my son moved into apt. at college this weekend, so no time to pickup!

·
Service before Self
136 Posts
RescueBronc,

Well, Since I had it apart I replaced all thhe rear brake compents, and new outer axle bearing and seals and then put the spider gears back in.

I dropped off the Aussie axle gears with a machinst, who ground off .020 off of each one where the washers go. So, hopefully between the grinding and the washers you sent, which I have not recieved yet, I will have the tollerence in the center I need.

The gears are ready, just trying to get my son moved into apt. at college this weekend, so no time to pickup!
You would have benefited from my old 8.8 chromolly axles but I think they are on the way to Poland now.. Sorry the shims aren't there yet. I would have thought they would have been there by now. Hopefully tomorrow.... Keep me posted man...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GUNDUDE; I AM ALSO IN SC (FLORENCE) AND OUR BRONCOS ARE VERY CLOSE TO BEING TWINS. DID YOU FIND THE AUSSIE LOCKER LOCALLY?SORRY I KNOW THIS WAS NOT THE REPLY YOU WERE LOOKING FOR. JRK
I bought the Aussie locker form Northridge4xx...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You would have benefited from my old 8.8 chromolly axles but I think they are on the way to Poland now.. Sorry the shims aren't there yet. I would have thought they would have been there by now. Hopefully tomorrow.... Keep me posted man...

Just back intown from Charleston,SC. Will check mail to see if shim's arrived, pick up ground locker Wed. and hopefully if weather permits, install Saturday!

RescueBronc, Thanks again very much!!!!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update!!!!!!

Well as stated earlier, I had to have my Aussie locker milled down because the tollerances where to tight. I picked it up Wed. and put it on Thursday. It came in on the high end of the tollerance specs now but, I got it in and gave it a quick test drive. Sweet!!!!!!

I know, I voided my warranty but, I hope for the price I will get my moneyies worth out of it before anything happens.:beer:beer:beer

Just thought I would mention that if any others than me find that there Aussie locker fits to tight that you can machine them down where the axle gear washer goes. Aussie's solution was to either find thinner washers(I could not find), or different carrier. I went a different route!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Bump. How do you like your Aussie? Street verdict?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bump. How do you like your Aussie? Street verdict?

It's not a ARB or E-Locker, so you can expect a little quicker tire wear if you get on the gas through tight turns. Or most likely if you get on it though any type of imbalance or rear tire speed. I can hear mine, when it unlocks, by the, "ratcheting" or "clicking" sound it makes through a tight turn. It's kind of a teaching sound!

Over all I don't care, because I love been locked!:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts