Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. first of all I realize i should have investigated a little more first.

I came across a locker and bought it :rofl: . THEN, i checked to see if my diff. was the correct one- :twak apparantely not-I have posi traction :banghead . I need an open carrier. Is there any way to read the tags on the chunks to know if they have an open carrier or a clutch pack carrier? I do realize I should the actual carrier BEFORE buying it, just didnt want to open up chunks to check.

any help would be appreciated....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Look at the production sticker in the door jamb. LSD carriers have a H before the number in the axle box. Eg. H9 on mine, if it says H92 its LSD front and rear. It should also be on the axle tag as well. I have seen them cheap on ebay. Iam keeping my reat LSD and doing aussie in the front. I had aussies front and rear on my trooper and my wife almost killed herself driving it in the rain. One trip into a ditch was enough for her to never drive it again. That's why it got traded for the bronk.

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
If the tag says 3.55 it is open if it says 3L55 it is a limited slip

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, but limited slip and LSD are the same, right? LSD=limited slip differential not the drug :twak

Guy @ junk yard said they had an entire axle that was locked from factory, i asked how he knew. He said it had an L in the axle code and that stood for locked.

My axle has the H as described in the first post. Guess the only way for me to find out is to take the cover off the one @ the JY and see. :red x

any more ideas will be appreciated, thanks

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
The L means limited slip, the same as yours.

If you look on your axle you will find a tag attached to the differential cover it will say 3L55 for a 3.55 rear with limited slip. Granted your gearing my differ but 3.55's where the most common.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts