Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking over the build sheet for my truck tonight, and while I'm deeply disturbed to know that it originally had a swing away tire carrier on the rear and the po removed it and that's the reason for the slightly off non matching white paint where the latches used to be, something else has me wondering.

My truck has auto hubs and according to the build sheet, had push button 4WD. Apparently it was removed by the PO and replaced with a manual shifter for the t-case. How do the auto hubs work with the manual shifter? Are they always engaged or do they receive some type of signal to engage. I assume there is an engaging and disengaging involved, as implied by the "auto" in auto hubs.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I was looking over the build sheet for my truck tonight, and while I'm deeply disturbed to know that it originally had a swing away tire carrier on the rear and the po removed it and that's the reason for the slightly off non matching white paint where the latches used to be, something else has me wondering.

My truck has auto hubs and according to the build sheet, had push button 4WD. Apparently it was removed by the PO and replaced with a manual shifter for the t-case. How do the auto hubs work with the manual shifter? Are they always engaged or do they receive some type of signal to engage. I assume there is an engaging and disengaging involved, as implied by the "auto" in auto hubs.
The auto hubs are mechanically engaged via torque applied from the transfer case. Doesn't matter if the t-case is manual or electric, same results.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So as soon as power is directly applied to the front axle from the driveshaft, the hubs lock up?

·
Premium Member
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabber AT2s
595 Posts
Yes. Mine is auto hubs with a factory manual t-case. Lock the t-case in 4WD, and the hubs autolock. When you shift the t-case back to 2WD. you need to back up about 10 ft to unlock the hubs

·
Super Moderator
26,057 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have to back up or once it's in 2wd, they just unlocked within a couple turns?

Edit: so you have to go about 10 feet in the opposite direction.

·
Super Moderator
26,057 Posts
yo D,
From 96 Bronco Owners Guide by Hiller Ford; same as your 93; except for OBDII info, Air Bag (94-96) and a few other items

Lever Operated System With Automatic Locking Hubs
To shift from 2H to 4H:
Stop the vehicle and move the transfer case shift lever straight back to the 4H position, the automatic locking hubs will engage when the vehicle is driven. When the automatic locking hubs are engaged, shifts between 2H and 4H may take place at any speed.
The automatic locking hubs may disengage in 2H if the vehicle’s direction is momentarily
reversed, or the vehicle is allowed to roll slightly in the opposite direction. If a
grinding noise occurs when shifting from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving, one or
both of the automatic locking hubs have been disengaged and the transfer case shift lever
should be switched back to the 2H position.
To shift back into 4H, stop the vehicle and move the transfer case shift lever straight
back to the 4H position.
When the vehicle is stopped while in 4H and the vehicle’s direction is reversed from the previous direction, the automatic locking hubs momentarily disengage and then re-engage.
The automatic locking hubs may click as they automatically engage in the new direction.
To shift from 4H to 2H:
Move the transfer case shift lever straight forward to the 2H position. This can be done at
any speed. To disengage the automatic locking hubs, operate the vehicle in 2H in the opposite direction for approximately 10 feet (3 meters).
For example:
If you were driving the vehicle forward in 4H, the automatic locking hubs will disengage the next time the vehicle is driven in reverse in 2H for approximately 10 feet (3
meters).
If you were driving the vehicle in reverse in 4H, the automatic locking hubs will
disengage the next time the vehicle is driven forward in 2H for approximately 10 feet (3
meters).
\— Operating in 2H with the hubs locked
increases fuel consumption, noise, vibration, and
wear. For prolonged 2H operation on dry
pavement, disengage the automatic locking hubs.

To shift between 4H and 4L:
Stop the vehicle and place the automatic
transmission into NEUTRAL or depress the
clutch on manual transmission vehicles. Push the
transfer case shift knob down (toward the
ground) and at the same time pull or push the
lever straight forward or rearward (depending
on the desired position, 4H or 4L) in order to
shift the transfer case. This shift should be in
one continuous motion without pausing in the N
(neutral) position. Pausing in the neutral position
can result in gear clash and difficult shifting. If,
while shifting between 4H and 4L, the transfer
case gets stuck in the N (neutral) position or is
difficult to shift into either 4H or 4L, it may be
necessary to let the vehicle roll slightly and/or
turn off the engine (particularly on vehicles
equipped with automatic transmissions).

To shift into and out of N (neutral)
To shift into N (neutral), stop the vehicle and
engage the parking brake. Place the automatic
transmission into NEUTRAL or depress the
clutch. From either the 4H or 4L position, push
the transfer case shift knob down (toward the
ground) and move the transfer case shift lever to
the N (neutral) position. The N (neutral) position
should only be used for vehicle towing.
NOTE: Dash mounted four wheel drive
indicator lights are off when your
vehicle is in neutral.
To shift from N (Neutral) to either 4H or 4L,
stop the vehicle and engage the parking brake.
Place the automatic transmission into NEUTRAL
or depress the clutch on manual transmission
vehicles. Push the transfer case knob down
(toward the ground) and at the same time move
the transfer case shift lever to the desired position. If it is difficult to shift into either 4H or
4L, it may be necessary to let the vehicle roll
slightly and/or turn off the engine (particularly
on vehicles equipped with automatic
transmissions)..."

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So The auto hubs are always locked?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, i Misunderstood what Steve83 was saying. The hubs unlock once you roll about 10 feet in the opposite direction. And the hubs don't disengage between forward and reverse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts