Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Auto hubs work the same wheather you are talking Ford, Chev, or Dodge, right?

A guy with a 2003 or 2 Dogde 3/4 (maybe a half) ton has an auto hub and I explained the way it operates based on what I know of ours and he is telling me it is full time and that it has a cv joint at the axle instead of a u-joint.
He seemed to get annoyed and although he obviously knows very little on the subject, he conveyed that he thought I was wrong and maybe dumb, so he may not bring it to me anyways.

Initially he told me it was an axle that broke and in another conversation he said it was a hub that broke. The conversation was over the phone so it was difficult for it to get cleared up.

I told him to just leave it in 2wd and drive it to my place to save a tow bill and I also told him how I broke many auto hubs and kept playing in the bush and then drove the 2 hours home like that, this is where his feeling towards me being dumb got stronger.

I have repairs and maintainance to do on my Bronco so I kinda hope he doesn't take it to me, but if he does

while I have anyone knowledgeable about dodge reading this, what do I torque the nut for the bearings to, or if it is a ratcheting type, what is it then?

Thanks in advance.:thumbup

·
Puts it were it doesnt go
640 Posts
i belive that the front tires are always connected to the driveshaft but there is a disconnect inside the axle. every dodge i have seen always has the u joint by the tires spinnig but not the driveshaft from the tansfercase to the axle. this is on the older dodges and i dont know about the new ones. i think the dodges have unibearing (or something like that) in the front tires. i am baising most of this info from extreme 4x4 and observation from driving down the road but i have never worked on one

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
I really dont know much about new Dodges; but on my Suburban, I have CV axles with a disconnect in the center section. If I remember correctly, I believe that the 1/2 tons are vacuum actuated and the 3/4 and 1 tons are electronic (with the auto 4x4). The axles always spin, but are not connected to anything unless I select 4 wheel drive.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks guys. It is a half ton in fact, and I do recall seeing Dodge axels rotating, but don't recall seeing a CV joint.

Anyone know the torque spec procedure for the 1500?

Also, can someone confirm that he would be ok to drive to my place with a busted hub?

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
How badly is it broken? When my hubs have gone, I just get a loud ass rubbing sound in the front end until I fix it. Ive driven months like that. Its a Dodge, treat it like any other and drive it til the wheels fall off....

Please dont take my word on it. I do not want to be responsible of any injuries or deaths....

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How badly is it broken? When my hubs have gone, I just get a loud ass rubbing sound in the front end until I fix it. Ive driven months like that. Its a Dodge, treat it like any other and drive it til the wheels fall off....

Please dont take my word on it. I do not want to be responsible of any injuries or deaths....
I don't know how it sounds. I've only talked to him over the phone. I think, despite the labour cost will save him an arm and a leg, he may have lost faith in me since I did not know how it all actually worked on his truck. I told him I could start on it today at the earliest and I haven't heard from him yet. He may not understand the only thing that matters is having half a brain and simply putting it together the way it comes apart and the torque procedure. Plus he may not know that I gaurantee everything I do...within reason of course.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,986 Posts
Yeah, nothin' like the TTB or a solid axle, but the same as the '97-'03 F-150s and Jeeps for a long time. The hub is attached to a CV joint and a vacuum operated center axle disconnect that locks the front end together for 4x4.

Pic of our '97...

Again, I'm not familiar with the dodges, but I'm purdy sure they are the same. I do know that the '04+ F-150s have a totally different system with CV joints and integral vacuum locking hubs, so maybe the dodge has somethin' like that too.

Adrianspeeder

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Adrian, have you ever actually done the work yourself? If so, based on the Ford set up, is there anything you think I should know ahead of time?

I replaced an axle with a cv joint in a front wheel drive car and having done it for the first time it went smoothly, so I figure this should go smoothly as well. If he does take it to me, I will just by a Haynes manual for it...if I don't already have one in my collection and add half the cost of the book to my bill.

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
If its anything like a newer Ford or Chevy, its a fairly easy job. If its similar, you take off the caliper & rotor, remove the axle nut as well as the 3 or 4 holding the hub to the knuckle, and it should come right off. I have had to use a little persuasion (BFH) to get them off before but it shouldnt be that bad.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If its anything like a newer Ford or Chevy, its a fairly easy job. If its similar, you take off the caliper & rotor, remove the axle nut as well as the 3 or 4 holding the hub to the knuckle, and it should come right off. I have had to use a little persuasion (BFH) to get them off before but it shouldnt be that bad.
I don't expect that part to be an issue at all.

What about the hubs? Anything I should know, or is it pretty straight forward?

For the most part, when you are talking about mechanical re and re, it is pretty straight forward, but occasionally, some engineer comes up with a retarded idea that makes it onto the production line.

·
In Front of Jopes
3,572 Posts
Don't you have to use a air chistel against the CV axle stub shaft to remove the unit bearing?

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't you have to use a air chistel against the CV axle stub shaft to remove the unit bearing?
Wouldn't an air chissel damage the unit bearing?

·
In Front of Jopes
3,572 Posts
Wouldn't an air chissel damage the unit bearing?
No, the outer end of the CV stub shaft has a indentation in it for the air chistel, it shakes it until the unit bearing slides off. The unit bearing is triangle shaped with the CV axleshaft protruding through the center of it, just don't drop it.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, the outer end of the CV stub shaft has a indentation in it for the air chistel, it shakes it until the unit bearing slides off. The unit bearing is triangle shaped with the CV axleshaft protruding through the center of it, just don't drop it.
noted, thanks man:thumbup

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm pretty sure it is 2002...or 2003

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
bullshit, shaking o nthe end of the axlke shaft wit ha air chisel will only push the CV shaft out the back, it will not remove afrozen bearing

what broke, the CV shaft, or the wheel hub)the hub IS the bearing.
if the hub is broke, the wheel WILL fall OFF if he drives it.............

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I haven't heard back from him, so it looks like I will be working on my Bronco instead.

·
In Front of Jopes
3,572 Posts
bullshit, shaking o nthe end of the axlke shaft wit ha air chisel will only push the CV shaft out the back, it will not remove afrozen bearing

what broke, the CV shaft, or the wheel hub)the hub IS the bearing.
if the hub is broke, the wheel WILL fall OFF if he drives it.............
Walt-Don't take my word for it, this is how I have seen it done especially on a smaller blazer. A puller may work better. Go look at a manual.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts