Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the difference? I mean other then the obivious. I have seen some people switch out the auto for manuals. May i ask why? Is this something i should look at doing myself?

Please advice?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
The auto hubs work fine for most people. They usually fail under repeated shock loading or with large tires, in which case the infamous "they fail when you need them most" phrase is usually invoked. I switched to manual hubs partially because the ice and snow in the winters here can make for interesting drive line loading characteristics. But mainly, the wheel nut key sheared off on one side, and I had to decide: either MAKE a new key, or switch to the manual hubs.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
My drivers side auto hub broke with the stock 265/75's... It has trouble engaging and if it does, it wont disengage for quite some time.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
If ya used 4x4 in the ice and snow, there's a good chance it was shock-loaded.

I still have my auto hubs and their parts. I may take 'em apart one day and see if I can tell what's really happening when they fail.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so switching over is the best idea from what i am getting. Anybody know of a good brand to look at. I have seen so many people on here with different brand but i haven't found anyting that compares the manual hubs.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Autos go "POP, CLICK, CLICK" when you need 4x, manuals just go "CLICK, OK, we're good to go". Even on 31's I sheared out the guts of a stock auto hub. Autos are ok for when you sorta need 4x, manuals are the only way yo go when you NEED 4x.

Manuals go bad when you let your wheel bearings get so out they chew everything apart.

From experience.

Have fun.

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
Best lockouts ever. Stock Ford hubs. Don't have a clue when they stopped making them, but I find them in the 70s rigs all the time.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Best lockouts ever. Stock Ford hubs. Don't have a clue when they stopped making them, but I find them in the 70s rigs all the time.
I believe that Ford OEM Manual Locking Hubs were made by Warn. As a side note, in 1948 Arthur Warn invented the Locking Hub in Seattle, Washington!!!

Warn Company Milestones

·
Registered
834 Posts
As others have mentioned, it depends on how much off roading you do.
I have used my own auto locking hups without a problem at all but, I might just be lucky.
I pulled them apart and cleaned/greased everything once already.
I have put quite a strain on them in the Florida mud and I do use them every day to get out of my parking spot (long story).
Maybe the "every day" use helps them to live longer?
But, if you are going to be doing some regular, hard thrashing, then get the manual lockers.
If you are going to be hitting some soft stuff or semi rock crawling, the auto's should be fine.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
When I originally factory ordered my 1990 Bronco, I selected Automatic Hubs for the convenience of not having to exit the vehicle to lock the hubs. The selection of Automatic Hubs eliminated my factory request for front limited slip as that option was only available with Manual Hubs.

The Auto's worked fine for 18 years, until I really needed them in the Montana backroads. No new replacements were available as all I could find was someone elses 15 year+ well used hubs. So I upgraded to Warn Premium Manual Hubs.

I can relate to the "convenience" factor of Automatic Hubs, but at some point they will fail, usually when you are attempting to engage them because you need them at that moment. Over the years, my experience has taught me to engage the hubs prior to needing them. At this point, the minor "inconvenience" of exiting the vehicle to lock the hubs far outweighs the lack of confidence in 15+ year old Automatic Hubs.

It's all a "risk assessment".

1 - 20 of 64 Posts