Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was doing rotors and pads on the Bronco I just bought (new btw, hi everyone) and I was following a video to make sure I disassembled the hubs properly. Unfortunately it was the wrong video covering the manual hubs, not the autos. In doing so, after removing the actual hub assembly, I didn’t notice the locking clip after it and went at the lock nut with an electric gun, sandwiching and breaking this “splined spacer” in between the clip and the washer. Can anyone tell me where to get a replacement? I haven’t even put this thing in 4WD yet and I feel like an idiot and don’t want to do the manual conversion because the hubs look fine and well greased from a previous brake job.

Hope this is the right subforum. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.
Wood Handwriting Style Black-and-white Font

·
Registered
810 Posts
Good question. Are individual piece parts of the locking hubs avalible anywhere? ....I assume this is a part of the locking hubs assy and not part of the wheel hub assy.
I assume you need a sketch like this for the auto locking style hub, and you need to identify the item no / part no
Maybe call the manufacturer (Warn?) on Monday?
Handwriting Font Line Art Parallel

·
Registered
377 Posts
You don't want grease in those automatic hubs.
That could gum up the works.

I read somewhere ( I think it was Steve83's supermotors page??) that the auto hubs should be cleaned of solid greases and instead submerge the cleaned hub unit in atf so it continues to operate without hanging up.

EDIT:

Do you have 3 screw or 5 screw caps? I'm guessing 3 screw cap based on your picture.

I found a couple references to it here:
and
There should never be a need to disassemble the hub lock body any more than this, unless it has been severely neglected or abused. DO NOT pack the lock with grease - a light coat is enough; any more will jam the mechanism. The correct way to clean & lube an auto hub lock is to dunk it in ATF each time the wheel bearings are serviced (which should be FREQUENTLY if the truck is used off-road; or every 30Kmi if it's not).

Product Font Line Auto part Engineering

Hand Automotive tire Finger Tire Cuisine

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good question. Are individual piece parts of the locking hubs avalible anywhere? ....I assume this is a part of the locking hubs assy and not part of the wheel hub assy.
I assume you need a sketch like this for the auto locking style hub, and you need to identify the item no / part no
Maybe call the manufacturer (Warn?) on Monday?
View attachment 190370
It is number 17 in that photo, at least it came after the snap ring and matches the description of being splined and acting as a washer. Anyone know if it’s an OEM part only or if i can get it separate?

It’s a 1994 and the hubs are the original auto lockers. Not sure if those were Ford manufactured or if they were outsourced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To further clarify, I’m 99% sure it is this part right here, circled in red. It is after the actual lock body itself. I thought i was clear to remove the lockwasher with socket and gun and ended up crushing the spacer between the C washer and the splines.

If anyone can direct me to a replacement, I’d be very grateful. Also I’ll be sure to follow the ATF maintenance procedure.

Font Parallel Screenshot Audio equipment Auto part

·
Registered
1986 Bronco XLT, 302,auto, bought from original owner
16 Posts
Personally,I would go with manual hubs if you can,I am not sure on the conversion kit for this,but with the automatic hubs, don't the axles spin all the time,I have a 1986 and pulled mine apart to do a brake job,and all the parts in there were all messed up,I went with Mile Marker hubs.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,654 Posts
If only I was ready to tear apart my hubs and swap my manuals in, I would have this piece for you. But it's 10 degrees outside and only going to do the swap when I'm restoring the truck / front axle.

You're probably going to need to find someone doing the swap or parting out a truck.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Personally,I would go with manual hubs if you can,I am not sure on the conversion kit for this,but with the automatic hubs, don't the axles spin all the time,I have a 1986 and pulled mine apart to do a brake job,and all the parts in there were all messed up,I went with Mile Marker hubs.

no they dont spin all the time unless they are messed up. when your front axle puts pressure on the hub from turning via the driveshaft then they lock. to unlock them you just back up about 10 feet in 2wd. they are nice when they work right just prone to failure.

·
Registered
1986 Bronco XLT, 302,auto, bought from original owner
16 Posts
Thanks for explaining that,I am new to 4 wheel drives,I have restored quite a few 2 wheel drive F100s, so you need to ask some silly questions,but that is what I like about this forum,like they say, you are never too old to learn new things,Thanks

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Thanks for explaining that,I am new to 4 wheel drives,I have restored quite a few 2 wheel drive F100s, so you need to ask some silly questions,but that is what I like about this forum,like they say, you are never too old to learn new things,Thanks
now some of the older trucks and suvs that had the np203 np299 and so on transfercase like jeep wagoneers and early k5s K10S had the axle spin at all time as do alot of the newer hd dodges and some year grand cherokees even. newer 1/2 tons and all ifs chevys use a ring inside house that slip over shafts when you engage 4wd. so your front axles themselves spin but its lose of the pinion so nothing else does. my bronco has the auto hubs and they work on it so ive never changed it. mine also is street driven and not lifted so its not really a big concern. the lifted offroad guys are the one that have big issues with them.

·
Registered
1992 EB Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 3.55, 33x10.5 mostly stock at this point
187 Posts
Did you ever get some resolution to this one Copper? Does anyone know if the auto hubs from a 87 or maybe 89 5 screw hubs are the same as what copper is looking for? I have a full TTB front end with auto hubs laying in my garage right now that i will not be using the hubs from. Only thing i dont know is if they are the same from year to year....

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,654 Posts
Did you ever get some resolution to this one Copper? Does anyone know if the auto hubs from a 87 or maybe 89 5 screw hubs are the same as what copper is looking for? I have a full TTB front end with auto hubs laying in my garage right now that i will not be using the hubs from. Only thing i dont know is if they are the same from year to year....
The 87 is a different style hub than what he's dealing with. The 89 will have the spacer he's looking for.

The picture you posted will have his needed spacer

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m waiting to hear back from someone on Facebook who’s parting one out to let me know if their hub has the same piece and if they can send it my way. It’s an 86 but it has the five screw caps so I’m not sure now if it’ll be the right one or not. Either way, still waiting and the truck needs a bunch of other work that will keep me busy in the meantime.

·
Registered
1992 EB Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 3.55, 33x10.5 mostly stock at this point
187 Posts
I’m waiting to hear back from someone on Facebook who’s parting one out to let me know if their hub has the same piece and if they can send it my way. It’s an 86 but it has the five screw caps so I’m not sure now if it’ll be the right one or not. Either way, still waiting and the truck needs a bunch of other work that will keep me busy in the meantime.
Roger that, if it falls through let me know and i can dig into mine and see what we have going.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
now some of the older trucks and suvs that had the np203 np299 and so on transfercase like jeep wagoneers and early k5s K10S had the axle spin at all time as do alot of the newer hd dodges and some year grand cherokees even. newer 1/2 tons and all ifs chevys use a ring inside house that slip over shafts when you engage 4wd. so your front axles themselves spin but its lose of the pinion so nothing else does. my bronco has the auto hubs and they work on it so ive never changed it. mine also is street driven and not lifted so its not really a big concern. the lifted offroad guys are the one that have big issues with them.
Not true… I have said before and I will say it again, I have seen the Ford auto locking hubs fail on more street rigs than any other type of hub… hence I always had a set of Warn Premium Hubs sitting in my shelf along with used Ford Factory manual hubs ready to swap in… I DONT REMEMBER EVER WORKING ON A LIFTED 1986-1996 Ford F-Series Or Bronco… 40 years of owning and operating a small repair Shop doing authorized Ford Service and Warranty work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Roger that, if it falls through let me know and i can dig into mine and see what we have going.
They finally got back to me after a week of waiting and I’m told their piece is “no good,” whatever that means, but regardless I’m now in the wind looking for this piece. Let me know if you’re still up to it and we can go from there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts