Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got auto-locking hubs on my '96 bko. (will eventually upgrade to manual) My question is, how can I tell if my hubs are locking. When in 4x4 the front drive shaft turns, but I dont know if my hubs are locking.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
You should be able to tell if you are in 4x4 or not...Just go on some loose dirt/gravel, play a little, turn on the 4x4 and play some more, then switch back. If you notice a difference your hubs work. Or you could have somebody watch and see if at least one of your front tires spins when you gas it in the mud/dirt. You could even do this on cement but it's bad for your drivetrain.

Or if you want to be all clean and lame about it (just kidding) you can jack up the front of your truck, engage 4x4 (BUT DO NOT SHIFT TO DRIVE, leave the tranny in park), turn one wheel and see if the other turns the other direction (or the same if you have some sort of traction assistance). If it does then both hubs are locked. Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if you hurt yourself or anybody else.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The other tire will turn the OPPOSITE direction?

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Floor it while on snow in 2wd. Then do it in 4wd. If you don't notice any difference then your 4x4 is not working.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
The other tire will turn the OPPOSITE direction?
If it is an open diff yes, if you have something like a locker or limited slip then the tires should turn the same direction.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My '96 Eddie Bauer is completely stock. It would have an open differential right? Or do I have to look this up with the VIN?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts