Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 EB that is in need of a mirror repalcement on the passenger side. I have been looking and pricing them on line. Why is it the new replacements from a new parts distributor are less expensive then the used replacements from the Auto Recycler?

Am I missing something or not seeing the complete picture?

Thanks

Mr Gee

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Steve83 said:
This is NOT an emergency. :twak

This thread belongs in the Parts Wanted forum.
This is NOT a thread asking for a part:twak

It is a thread asking a question about a part.

It belongs in the general repair or 80-96 forum.

Hi Steve :toothless

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a thread about saving $$$$.
I am sorry if I stepped on toes by posting in what some may think the inappropriate forum. It is an emergency for me as I am about to dispense cash which I prefer not to throw away. It just seemed to me that parts from the auto recycler should be less expensive. When I found that the cost of new parts were a lot less in price, I thought maybe I was not comparing apples to apples. I was hoping to get a better idea as to when to use Auto recyclers to save $$$$.

Sorry!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wondered the same thing when I had a body shop do a face lift on my 88'.... We replaced the hood and the front left fender, both were much cheaper buying brand new than recycled. But there's something to keep in mind...

A lot of the cheaper "new" parts are knockoff, non-factory quality replacements. I notice more wobble in my hood since the new one isn't supported as well as the original one. They might use thinner guage metal, cheaper quality....

Some cases you might be better off with recycled parts, other times better off with new aftermarket parts. Ultimately, you get what you pay for. :duh

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
couchflambeau said:
I wondered the same thing when I had a body shop do a face lift on my 88'.... We replaced the hood and the front left fender, both were much cheaper buying brand new than recycled. But there's something to keep in mind...

A lot of the cheaper "new" parts are knockoff, non-factory quality replacements. I notice more wobble in my hood since the new one isn't supported as well as the original one. They might use thinner guage metal, cheaper quality....

Some cases you might be better off with recycled parts, other times better off with new aftermarket parts. Ultimately, you get what you pay for. :duh
great points couch

These were all considerations I done wrestled with when I bought new door for the 86 and wanted to switch to 96 style paddle mirrors.

I just plain couldn't find a pair of 92-96 style mirrors in yards as they were gone instantly. When I did the ba$turds wanted outrageous amounts for them.

The yard guy said why don't you buy em' new ? He sold me a pair of brand new knock offs from some off-shore outfit called Polyway ? for the equivalent of $35.00 American each;

Been happy ever since

Sixlitre

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am glad I started this thread as an emergency and it has now been relocated. I was about to click the mouse and order a set of mirrors but I am now reconsidering from the insight of the responses I received. Thanks to all that gave me a better idea, as to why the big difference in prices.

I will be searching and pricing more of the OE first.

Thanks again

Mr Gee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.