Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Dont get a cheap one. Craftsman has one for $50 that I use at the shop at school but it sucks. The tint doesnt change fast enough so your eyes burn after a while

·
Administrator
22,845 Posts
this is what I have been using...made by astro...would like to go better when I can afford it...problems with the actual straps that hold it on...

Attachments

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
I bought one of the HF ones and it worked great for a while and then stopped. If I point it at the sun it won't blank but if I wave my hand in front of the solar strip it blanks in and out. I didn't see a place for a battery. Any suggestions other than toss it in the trash?:whiteflag

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
get a good one. I use this http://store.cyberweld.com/hobhoodblac.html and love it. Its still affordable and an awsome hood. I have bought most of my stuff from cyberweld too. they have some good deals and always free shipping.

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dustin said:
get a good one. I use this http://store.cyberweld.com/hobhoodblac.html and love it. Its still affordable and an awsome hood. I have bought most of my stuff from cyberweld too. they have some good deals and always free shipping.
Ive never used a small lens like that, do you wish you had a larger lense?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Your HF one must have a battery. I bought a HF auto dark and I think it's ok for now. I just hate having to reach inside and turn the stupid thing on. And if I am measuring or something it turns itself off so you have to turn it back on. I would love to get a Miller or something nice with a large window but for the amount of welding I do right now the 250 price is too high.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
plug ugly said:
Ive never used a small lens like that, do you wish you had a larger lense?
a bigger window would be nice but I have never had an issue with the size as it is. I chose it because it was in my budget and a good hood. the speedglass are also nice hoods but alot more.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
I read the manual and it states it has two rechargeable batteries in it. There is no on/off switch. I guess I'll have to leave it out in the sun for a while and see if the solar panels charge it. I do have a Miller helmet but it's not an auto darkening. If it doesn't charge I might as well spend a few bucks. I have been doing a lot of welding lately.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
90Beater said:
Any suggestions other than toss it in the trash?:whiteflag
You should be able to throw a standard lens in there and use it as a back up helmet, or for friends to watch while you weld, etc. My HF auto dark (which sucks) doesn't really have a "flip down" action at all, so it wouldn't make a very good regular use helmet even w a standard lens. You might also be able to put a clear lens in it (or just use the cover plate) for additional protection when grinding.

I'm in the same boat as you Plug, I've just never been able to justify the $300+ for a Speedglass, but if I got one that's what it would be. The fact is my $25 Huntsman works so well for MIG.........flipping the hood is no big deal, and if I lose it or drive over it no major loss. I could really use an auto dark for stick, tho.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Dumb question: Are those quick enough changing to actually save your vision? I'd think that over time, all those fractions of a second (while it darkened) would add up.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
A welder told me to only buy helments that have Swiss, German, or American made lenses as they will completely protect your eyes unlike some of the cheapy ones

1 - 20 of 45 Posts