Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I’ve had my ZF-5 swap completed from buttoning up the harness to a manny steering column and cluster swap for about 15,xxx miles now and I’ve been too lazy all this time to wire up reverse lights.

I know they’re pressure-switch activated on the tranny and I have the pressure switch in the tranny, as well as the two pin pigtail that plugs into it (from NOS, unused/not wired)

Can anyone tell me exactly how to wire it? Truck still has auto harness with plugs safe/out of the way if I need to tap into that.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,571 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,439 Posts
Yo Nick,
Member runder wrote "ZF-5, the wiring harness is has the correct plug for the back up lights on it.
The wiring harness that goes between the green connector on the left inter fender to the back-up light plug on the transmission and the plugs on the transfer case." @ E4OD to ZF-5 Swap

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Hey all. I’ve had my ZF-5 swap completed from buttoning up the harness to a manny steering column and cluster swap for about 15,xxx miles now and I’ve been too lazy all this time to wire up reverse lights.

I know they’re pressure-switch activated on the tranny and I have the pressure switch in the tranny, as well as the two pin pigtail that plugs into it (from NOS, unused/not wired)

Can anyone tell me exactly how to wire it? Truck still has auto harness with plugs safe/out of the way if I need to tap into that.
The easiest way to wire it up is get the harness for the M5ODR2 out of an F-series pickup truck and swap the harness with that which is already on your Bronco. 20 minutes max to pull both harnesses and reinstall.

·
Registered
842 Posts

I saved the plug on the harness side with 12" of wire when I swapped my zf5. I found the correct wire by using a wiring diagram. I believe it's black/pink for both sides. Then find the wire that goes to your reverse lights and wire them to the plug.

·
Joisey don't smell funny
78 Bronco Custom, 460/ZF5, Sniper upgrade, 3G, dual batt
1,422 Posts
When the PO swapped in the ZF5 to my 78, he took the hot wire coming from the harness at the firewall for reverse (it was an automatic trans previously) and ran it to one side of the ZF plug, then out to the reverse lights. Pretty easy to trace. Newer gens not so easy I would imagine.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
For those who suggested replacing the whole harness with an MT truck’s harness, how is that easy?? I’ve never ripped the harness out of one of these trucks. What does that involve? @miesk5 ? @slimpartywagon ?
It disconnects from the inner driver side fender well and travels about three feet back along the frame to the transmission cross member and back up to the plug on the side of the transmission… the only tricky part is there is a clamp that keeps the harness from getting pinched between the body and frame that has to be removed with a 1/2” wrench.

this is a lot easier than just trying to find the correct wires to splice the connector… which was what I was originally going to do… but for $5.00 for the harness at my JY I decided that my time investigating, splicing and sealing the splice was worth a lot more than $5.00

·
Super Moderator
5,217 Posts
Hi Nick,
Do you have the electrical plug for the reverse lights on the ZF? I know when I grabbed mine out of the junk yard, I snipped off the plug so that I had it.

Automotive tire Coil Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar Finger

If not, you might be able to find one on line. But, you'll need it to connect the wires to the transmission.
After that, it's really simple. The AOD has 4 wires going to the transmission.

2 wires are for the neutral safety switch. When you have it in Park or Neutral, the circuit will be connected and allow you to start the engine. With a manual, you just connect these two wires together so they're always connected. Or, you can connect them to the Interlock Switch on your clutch pedal if you want the added safety of having the clutch pressed before you start it. On mine, I just spliced them together.

The other 2 wires are for the reverse lights. You'll need to splice those into the ZF5 reverse light plug. Should be good after that.

Asphalt Road surface Wire Electrical wiring Soil

Reactions: nick-s93

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,476 Posts
My swap was from an E4OD, I have two big harnesses that plug into it tied up under the truck.
That's why swapping the A/T harness out for the M/T one is nice. Not only does it simplify the reverse light wiring, it cleans up all that excess A/T connectivity. I personally don't like leaving unused connectors tucked away, both for tidiness and the unknown of affecting stuff upstream if exposed terminals get soaked or shorted or something.

·
Super Moderator
5,217 Posts
Ah. Yes, the E4OD would make things a bit more complicated. Not only for the reverse light, but for the onboard computer as well.
I don't know the reverse light wiring works with that transmission, but I imagine it's something similar.

On a side note, I'd suggest putting your year truck and info into your signature. That makes it easier to know what you're working on with a quick glance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts