Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a problem with my PIP module in my distributor. I bought a Cardone from Auto Zone. I am now on the third replacement. I was wondering what brand replacement you guys recommend. I do not need high performance. I do need high reliability. I get off road and have everything in place to do the 6 liter tune up. This is my DD. 37's, 4.88, auto with Aussie Lockers. I think I remember calling Ford when I was first having problems and them telling me that they do not sell the distributor for that vehicle any more. I am going to check again tomorrow.

What route do you suggest?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I replaced mine with a "standard" (i believe thats the brand name) from the local federated auto parts. Been a few months now and reliablity is an A+ perfomance! Also are you coating the back side with the provided die electric grease? this helps disapate the heat, therefore keeps cool, and last longer

·
Registered
459 Posts
I recommend checking your dizzy shaft and making sure it's not magnetized. I replaced my pip and it didn't fix my problem. Actually, i fried my nice fluke meter while measuring the output of the pip. Come to find out, my distributor shaft got magnetized and was causing my pip to freak out/send weird stuff to my EEC. If you stick a screwdriver to the shaft (a non magnetized one) and it sticks--replace your distributor.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bad part is that there are fewer and fewer companies actually rebuilding the parts anymore and even then most of the componants that the rebuilders use even if a different rebuilding company will still be using the same componants from the same supplier that the other rebuilder is using to rebuild theirs.

Part of this new global economy is generally the guy that makes and sells the most at the cheapest price will be the one to survive and the other companies in that market will wither away and go out of business.

I work for a major player wholeasaler in auto parts and there was a time that certian well respected American branded products you could pick up the part and compare it to an Autozone part and feel and see the difference in the parts quality.

Today that same well respected American branded product will have made in China or some other eastern country and be in the American Branded box but compare the part with the Autozone part today and they are basically the same and probably come out of the same factory.

Maybe try to find a good original Ford unit at the junk yard or keep getting another one until you get a good one. I will check tomorrow at work and see what we carry brand wise.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I recently had a problem with my PIP module in my distributor. I bought a Cardone from Auto Zone. I am now on the third replacement. I was wondering what brand replacement you guys recommend. I do not need high performance. I do need high reliability. I get off road and have everything in place to do the 6 liter tune up. This is my DD. 37's, 4.88, auto with Aussie Lockers. I think I remember calling Ford when I was first having problems and them telling me that they do not sell the distributor for that vehicle any more. I am going to check again tomorrow.

What route do you suggest?
What is failing on the cardone dizzys?

·
Super Moderator
26,972 Posts
yo,
If you bought the reman- Distributor; I have heard that C and other rebuilders use orig PIP etc.

Standard or Airtex/Wells are good for PIP,etc

Try http://www.rockauto.com
Distributor Ignition Pickup
MOTORCRAFT Part # DU50 {#E9TE12A112AA, E9TZ12A112A}
w/ Remote Mounted Module; E9TE-12127-CA $48.79

AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 4P1263 {Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers19017026, E8DZ12A112A, E9TZ12A112A, F123}
w/Remote Mounted Black Module
$15.94

·
Registered
665 Posts
Ive found myself ordering everything I can from ROCKAUTO.COM. They usually have several brands to chose from at much better prices (even after shipping) than the local auto parts stores.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I checked at work today and the rebuilder for the Napa brand rebuilds is in fact Cardone and the only option shown for the application.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I recommend checking your dizzy shaft and making sure it's not magnetized. I replaced my pip and it didn't fix my problem. Actually, i fried my nice fluke meter while measuring the output of the pip. Come to find out, my distributor shaft got magnetized and was causing my pip to freak out/send weird stuff to my EEC. If you stick a screwdriver to the shaft (a non magnetized one) and it sticks--replace your distributor.
Sorry, I didn't get detailed enough on the original post. It is the dizzy (PIP) that I am having problems with and replacing. The first issues was the same one I had with the OE one. It ran fine ( I could feel it missing at times) and then stalled. Spray some starting fluid in it and it would run. That quit working. The second one did the same thing. Now, I feel it missing again. I had replaced the ICM, the coil, the plugs, the wires, the cap, the rotor, checked the routing of the 2/4 and 5/8 wires, looked for sparking from a short from the wires to the block or exhaust. This is the 2nd issue I have had with Auto Zone parts and I think I have had enough. So, I am trying to find out what my next best option is. I was thinking of a junk yard replacement or spending some coin on a MSD, Accel or ??? Just wanted to know what you guys thought.

I am perplexed at why I am having this same problem over and over. But it is the third replacement dizzy.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's not just autozone, all the big name auto part stores carry cardone in their reman lines. CARDONE SUCKS!
Well the Ford dealer has it for $400+, I know the MSD wasn't that expensive. I have no idea on other brands. Not sure which one(s) are worth the money. Or, if I might be better off going with a junk yard find.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts