Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 eb with auto lock hubs but I want to convert to manual locking hubs. I was told Warn is the way to go, true?

·
Registered
610 Posts
warn is the way to go. lots of guys here have them. theres probably 3 write ups on how to do it in the tech section. If you're auto hubs have 5 screws holding them on (not 3) it takes like an hour to do, and you dont need a conversion kit. Just watch out for those C clips...pain in the ass if you dont have a tool to take them off (i used 2 flat head screwdrivers, not recomended)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok cool, so does having automatic hubs mean u have full time 4wd?

·
Registered
610 Posts
fordbronco351 said:
ok cool, so does having automatic hubs mean u have full time 4wd?
no. the auto locking hubs are supposed to lock when the axles for the front wheels are turned by the transfercase (this is ONLY done when you have it in 4h or 4l...either by push button or by a stick shift..depending). full time 4x4 means that you CANNOT take it out of 4x4.

with the automatics, what it means is you dont have to get out of your truck to lock your hubs to go into 4x4...the problem with that is you are never SURE they are locked..and they can become unlocked if you reverse direction or coast etc...

if you have manual hubs, and you leave them locked, and you're transfer case is in 2h, you are still not in 4x4....the front axles will "coast" with the front tires, so the front tires are in "neutral" until you put it in 4h or 4l.

If i think i'm going to even remotely encounter a need for 4x4, i will lock my hubs, and shift into 4h or 4l when needed. If i'm just driving on pavement or regular gravel roads, I will leave them unlocked.

If all you're going to do is use 4x4 occassionally to get out and about in the snow, you will be ok with the stock auto locking hubs...but if you want to take it any mud or off road situation..you'll want the manuals so you KNOW you're locked in

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sweet, thanks! so in order to go into fwd i will have to lock then hubs AND hit the 4x4 button right?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
brock said:
i have automatic locking hubs, does everytime that i back out of the driveway cause them to lock/unlock?
Only if the transfer case is in 4hi or 4lo.
(wich it shouldn't be on pavement)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Gacknar said:
Only if the transfer case is in 4hi or 4lo.
(wich it shouldn't be on pavement)

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. I have auto locking hubs and if I lock my hubs I'm automatically in 4hi and then I have another button to push in order to get into 4lo. I have no problems with auto locking hubs.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I went with Mile Marker hubs. They were a little less expensive and seem to work fine so far.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
crashcrew said:
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. I have auto locking hubs and if I lock my hubs I'm automatically in 4hi and then I have another button to push in order to get into 4lo.
Huh???

You cant lock auto locking hubs, they lock when the front axle starts to turn, for that to happen you have to put the truck in either 4hi or 4lo. The front axle turning is what automaticaly locks the hubs.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
crashcrew said:
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. I have auto locking hubs and if I lock my hubs I'm automatically in 4hi and then I have another button to push in order to get into 4lo. I have no problems with auto locking hubs.
:wtf

You pressing the 4x4 button has nothing to do with the hubs. That only engages the transfer case.

·
Registered
825 Posts
i took off my hub cap to examine my hubs... i turned the front axle to the right until it popped into a locking state, not being able to turn either way. the springs wound up and a metal piece of the hub moved outward on the hub. is this in the lock position im guessing, if i just back up 15 feet will this unlock them , or do i need to put it in 4w before backing up

·
Registered
142 Posts
to get the c clip out, I drilled a tiny hole through the outside of the hub right where the c clip is, and then pushed an awl through the hole, popping the ring out. Took less than 5 minutes. Instead of an awl, you could use a nail or a small drill bit or whatever fits through the hole.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
I just bought the proper tool for $12 and have used it about 50 times on different vehicles.

If your wheeling with auto hubs your not wheeling.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
I have never figured out what you guys are talking about with the c-clips you have so much trouble with. Do you mean the big wire ring on the autohub? Pull out the retainer, squeeze the ends of the ring together, take it all off together, that's it, it's a 2 second job. The C-clip on the axle stub is a little tougher, I just slide a straight pick down one of the splines and under the clip, and it pops off.

·
Registered
610 Posts
sewiv said:
I have never figured out what you guys are talking about with the c-clips you have so much trouble with. Do you mean the big wire ring on the autohub? Pull out the retainer, squeeze the ends of the ring together, take it all off together, that's it, it's a 2 second job. The C-clip on the axle stub is a little tougher, I just slide a straight pick down one of the splines and under the clip, and it pops off.

You know, when i did mine, the first one actually came off in just a few "moves" but i couldnt get the other side off to save my life. My buddy leaned over me and just went "pop"... maybe its midichlorians

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
smileybry said:
You know, when i did mine, the first one actually came off in just a few "moves" but i couldnt get the other side off to save my life. My buddy leaned over me and just went "pop"... maybe its midichlorians
What's funny about this is that it still doesn't answer which one you all are having trouble with.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts