Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
anyone ever use one of these? its a reman for 150 bucks. it comes in a van, has the mounting foot I need and is 130 amps. Would be an easy swap, but i dont know about the quality.

what about the ones from Kragen

this one is 170 by autolite
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=ATR&mfrpartnumber=A7765162&parttype=11&ptset=A

and this one is 150 by beck arnley (never heard of them
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=BAR&mfrpartnumber=1866247&parttype=11&ptset=A

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
I installed a auto zone autolite 80a in my truck a year ago worked good replaced it with a 3g i kept it for a back up life time warranty :thumbup

·
Registered
538 Posts
I had quite a few of the remans fail on me. Lifetime warranty is fine if you like to keep swapping alts. I recommend getting a new one with a lifetime warranty.

·
Building gold from crap
2,253 Posts
the last reman i had thankfully had a lifetime warrenty, i swapped that bitch like every month, if not sooner for 2 years until i got rid of that car

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
Ive got a extra junkyard taurus 3g if you want it i will meat you half way on delivery miles no charge.:thumbup

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
had one in my ford ranger and it lasted 6 years. i think it is luck of the draw. lifetime warranty though and it only take 5 mintues to switch alts. so i say go for it

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Alot of rebuilt alt and starters get bad reps because no one checks the wiring for them. If you drop alot of voltage in your wires it tends to smoke test the starters quick. Ive never really had any complaints about either of them.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
I had one of the autolites in my old 78. This was the stock 65 amp models, I fried like 6 of them. Then I upgraded to my ubber expensive $15 pick and pull 3g from a tortus. Been abusing it with out any problems now for 3 years.

Come to find out the wires from the orginaly alternator were worn thru the insulation and shorting out on the body. So I cannot say they were just shit alts. But for the cost of the pnp model I can carry a spare and not worry.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I work at the Zone and we dont see too many alternators come in. Not around here at least. Starters thats a different story. I like the Duralast golds he best but the rebuilt ones arnt too bad. Id say go for it. plus the warranty is always good and if it does go bad swapping isnt too time consuming or hard. So yeah thats my pocket full of change.

·
Yeah- I did it-SO WHAT !!
512 Posts
Over the years I've had remans from about everywhere including non name brand stores.They all seem to have about the longevity of 2 yrs. if you luck out. NAPA seems to be the best quality,and last longer than the rest by far,BUT you pay a good bit more for theirs.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Plug, I just got thru reading your York install.:thumbup I am getting more interested in doing it to the Beater. Get a Junk Yard 3G from a late model Mustang or Taurus(98+) and you won't be sorry.

·
Yup, I'm fullsize....
1,798 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts