Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Which bulb

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two KC Daylighter (pencil beam) long range driving lights mounted under my back bumper for use when backing up in unfamiliar, unlit, places.

These lights where not purchased for this purpose, they are pencil beams and poorly suited for this use. But I had them laying around not being used, so I decided to put them there. And for nearly 10yrs they have been hanging outback. The cases are the expensive stainless steel units, so no rust ever, and I think they look cool the way I have them.

But they suck as backup lights.

Recently I came to an epiphany....

I don't have to use pencil beam bulbs in them :doh0715:

Any bulb for any 6" KC-Daylighter (and many other brands) will work. :chili:

So, do want regular driving light bulbs? (Not long range pencil beam)

Or Flood light bulbs?

Normally I would default to flood, but I wonder if all the angles in that diffuser will spread the light out to much, or is that what I wont?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Flood it!

Why is the world in love again, Why are we marching hand in hand.....

·
not banned
5,969 Posts
i would put a hitch through those two lights in a heart beat.. i suck at backing up by myself, and put a few boat tongues in to my tailgate when i was youngER:{

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
flood light...I am running one 3 inch tractor flood light on back...not very brite but helps out...only problem where you have yours located would last me one trip....:histerica

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
only problem where you have yours located would last me one trip....:histerica
You don't have a body lift, so they would hang way lower on your Bronco in relation to your gas tank and receiver hitch.

They are relatively well protected by the hitch. But I still managed to pop a bulb out crossing a gully before my suspension lift. No damage to light or bulb, it just squeezed enough to pop the bulb out. :toothless

But on a hard core offroad rig, they would last about 1.25 seconds mounted like that.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Gack, I got two tractor floodlights mounted to my roof rack, and on relayed circuit and toggle switch....before the roof rack I fabbed up two brackets out of angle steel, and mounted them to my roof cap in back. I like the high, cause no matter what I am doing, I still got more light than I can use.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Flood dat sizzz! :rockon

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Any opportunity to say Gack sucks well, I'm in.:toothless JK of course

Flood light all the way, but instead of putting 2 in the middle of the bumper where 1 will do the same job, either point them outward a bit or spread them out. If you spread them out, you not only light up diectly behind and light up the sides of the trail on both sides, but you also get the added bonus of nailing both the driver and passenger of the tailgater bahind you.:thumbup

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
point them outward a bit
They are pointed outward slightly (can't tell in the pic)

Well it looks like KC has stoped using sealed beam bulbs in daylighters. They are using a lens-reflector/H3 bulb combo.

That means I'll nead the following.

100w H3 bulbs $9.79 x2 = $19.95
http://www.kchilites.com/store/Bulb-100w-Clear-H3-Halogen-P131C27.aspx

6" Lens / Reflector Flood $28.69 x2 = $57.38
http://www.kchilites.com/store/Lens-Reflector-6-Rnd-Flood-P195C74.aspx

Total = 77.33 (plus tax, plus shipping)

Thats way more than I am willing to pay.
Any ideas on how to do it cheaper?

You know, I think my Harleys headlight is a 6" sealed beam.
Mmmmm, that might work.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
100W, how far back do you need to see, when you back up?
A few yards

how far back can you presently see?
With both pencel beams, oh about 1.25 miles under proper conditions. But it is such a consentrated beam that they make very poor backup lights.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
why are the ocean levels rising up? It's a brand new record for 1990. . .

Justin

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
I am thinking about gettting some cheap landscaping lights (Low voltage 12 volt) lights for this purpose. Or possible remounting the Uber gay lights my PO put on the bumper to the rear of the bronco.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You know, I think my Harleys headlight is a 6" sealed beam.
Mmmmm, that might work.
Confirmed.

The Harley bulb (same bulb my 72 C-10 uses)`will fit the housing just fine.
They are driving lights so they will spread the light out much better than the pencil beams.

I will buy 2 of them sometime in the next few days. They are about $5.00 each.

May not be as good as a flood, but it lets me use my fancy stainless steel housings. :thumbup

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
and this has what to do with the thread?...keep it to chit chat.
That's a quote from the first song on the "They Might Be Giants" album "Flood".

Fits perfectly, I'd think.

"I'm your only friend, I'm not your only friend, but I'm a little glowing friend..."

1 - 20 of 58 Posts