Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone!
i have read every thread about wiring off road lights on this forum, and i thank everyone for the help.

i still have a problem with my wiring...i keep blowing 30amp fuses.

heres a bit of info:
- 2 x 6" procomp lights
- 2 x 8" procomp lights
- each set of lights has its own 40amp relay and wiring harness.
- the 40amp relay has a circuit breaker between it and the battery.
- the switches are 30amp, (with little red indicator light)
- the switches are powered, therfore, i have a 30 amp fuse between them and the battery.

Here's my Wiring Diagram:

symptom:
when i "beleive" everything is finnished and completed,..i turn the lights "ON" to test if everything works....it does!!! whoooh hooo! :beer
however, when i think everything is fine, i turn them back "OFF", i blow my fuses for the switches! :banghead

i am not an electrical expert...but i know a resistor between the battery and the fuses will lower the voltage,..but is this really necessary?? has anyone else taken this route???

POSIBILITY #1
i think i wired my switches wrong, and that may be the culprit.
i'll post again, after i try tinkering with that.

POSIBILITY #2
instead of running a seperate power-wire from the switches to the battery, should i try tieing them into the relay power-wire instead??
i'm thinking of just getting circuit breakers for the switches too, so that i never blow another damn fuse! but is that really necessary?

can anyone post a picture of their wiring job? how it looks in the engine bay?

if anyone has any input, it would be greatly appreaciated.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,983 Posts
1. Yes, they could be wired wrong. Your wiring diagram is good, except you don't label the relay pins or switch connections (where I think your problem is)

2. I simply use the relay power wire for the switches. You are fusing them for 30amps, but that circuit only pulls about .1amp for the relay coil, and another .1ish for the switch light. I use a 2amp fuse for that situation.

Resistors will lower the voltage, but you need around 12v to trigger the coil, so that is a bad idea.

My hunch is you have miswired switches and ya cause a short when turning off. Disconnect the switch light ground to confirm.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2. I simply use the relay power wire for the switches. You are fusing them for 30amps, but that circuit only pulls about .1amp for the relay coil, and another .1ish for the switch light. I use a 2amp fuse for that situation.
i thought i needed a 30amp fuse, if i was using a 30amp switch? correct me if i'm wrong....

and if i tie in the switches into the relay power, do i need to keep the fuses??? because it already has a circuit breaker before the battery.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,983 Posts
The switch could handle if need be 30 amps yes, but the load drawn through them by the relay and switch light is only about .2amps.

I'd keep it separate from the relay power for now 'till you narrow down your problem, but if all your wiring is at least 12awg, you do not need separate fuses.

Adrianspeeder

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,983 Posts
True, but the quick troubleshooting solution is to disconnect the switch ground and check operation. If all is good, you know ya wired the switch wrong, or have a faulty switch.

Adrianspeeder

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,983 Posts
Word. I agree.

I'm not saying to disconnect the switch ground permanently, just to confirm that is causing a short from a misswired switch.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
slow updates

thanks for the input everyone.

i've changed the wiring on my switches, and thats about as far as i got...
,...not even a chance to test it, because i blew all my fuses. :banghead

i just broke a u-joint aswell, so the truck is at the shop again.
as soon as i get it back i'll test it with some new fuses.

steve83: i still havent disconnected the ground, but i will try it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Auxiliary Lights Wiring Problem - SOLVED!

i've fixed my wiring problem for my procomp offroad lights!

click here to see my completed supermotors writeup.

·
Registered
383 Posts
how about the 87a terminal on the relay (right in the middle of the relay body)??
it is the opposite of the 87, that is, when the coil is energized, the flow goes from 86 to 87...but if there is no energized coil, the current would go to 87a..if the switch is tuned off, the current goes from 86 to 87a

1 - 12 of 12 Posts