Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
firestone told me that my axle beam front right side was bad on my bronco, is there anyway i can check this out myself to see how bad it is?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope =\ they just told me that i needed new ball joints on the right side, which i knew already, and that i needed the axle beam

·
AKA: Butthead
2,857 Posts
The way -I'd- do it is to look at another Bronco just like mine, side by side.
Look at a buddy's or my "new Bronco owning friend's Bronco" I'd -make-
new in a parking lot after telling 'im what I needed to do. :)

BTDT over exhaust setups, sometimes it was mine, sometimes it was his.

It's not like you live in New York City or anything. ;)

Alvin in AZ
ps- x2 what Foot and 95 said too tho.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The way -I'd- do it is to look at another Bronco just like mine, side by side.
Look at a buddy's or my "new Bronco owning friend's Bronco" I'd -make-
new in a parking lot after telling 'im what I needed to do. :)

BTDT over exhaust setups, sometimes it was mine, sometimes it was his.

It's not like you live in New York City or anything. ;)

Alvin in AZ
ps- x2 what Foot and 95 said too tho.
uhm what?

edit: wait, you mean just compare my axle to another bronco of the same year/with same axle?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
uhm what?

edit: wait, you mean just compare my axle to another bronco of the same year/with same axle?
that's exactly what he means. and from 1980-1996 the beams where the same. so, find a bronco with a ttb, and compare it to yours.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
only problem is idk anyone with a bronco where i live or a f series truck that would have it

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
any 4wd 1980-1996 F150 will have the SAME suspension.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the actual beam. I coulda said that even without pics. Not a very likely problem. Def more likely a shop is trying to stick it to you for extra un-needed repairs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah thats what i was thinking, called and asked Firestone for a qoute on fixing a heater core as mine just went out today and they said 300$ i laughed said no thanks and hung up cause i know its not that hard to fix

·
Man of endless projects
9,485 Posts
tire kingdom told me my 88s was bent back a long time ago after doing alittle bit of trail ride. this was back when i didnt know a dam thing bout working on cars and trucks and i believed them. i admit the tires were more //==o=\\ than they were earlyer that day but thats jsut 20+ year old bushings that never saw rigorus offroading there entire life. cost me 700$. now i know that if theres no actuall structural failure thats a saftey hazard, then its good to go. now my 96 actually does have very visabley bent crossmember that hold one of the piviot supports, it actually causes the axleshaft to rub between the beams, but its still perfectly in alignment and has no signs of causing other problems so im leaving it till i can find a way to fix it.

firestone is a ripoff. wanted 2000$ to replace balljoints that i jsut replaced a month before and also had some other bad buisness with them trying to do an alinment there. 300$ heatrer core?!? it cost 35$ for a new one and takes minutes to replace. did it in my 88 when i didnt know anything. i go to tire kingdom but i guess isnt too much better, there expensive and dont ever tell me about problems they had. last trip i had to get my new tires mounted, on the same wheel they broke a wheel stud off and crossthreaded another that wasnt even half way on so i only had 3 of 5 lugs proply on. time before that they didnt tighten the upper balljoint nut enough after an alinment and the alignment bushing popped up and i had to get a new bushing and another alignment.

also im glad i live in florida where the salts in the water and not in the roads. if your still worried bout it being bent, look for any stress markings or get an alignment check somewhere else

·
Registered
'88 XLT. 2" lift, 3G, Saginaw Pump, Headers, High flow 3" cat, 3" exhaust, 6 litre tune, K&N
188 Posts
Firestone?

I would have to blame lawyers for this one. Think what their liability insurance is now, after they were blamed for all those explorer roll overs in the 90s? They are gun shy now, afraid to do anything except for a good profit.

They probably won't do any suspension work now without replacing everything just because they don't want to get sued for a Billion dollars again. Blame the lawyers.

Other tire places won't even replace just one tire with a different brand, because they might get sued if there is a roll over or accident. You have to take the wheel in unmounted and install the wheel yourself. Most of my driving life has been spent on at least two or three different brands of tires on one vehicle. I actually have a 5 piece matched set on my bronco now and consider myself rich :thumbup

1 - 17 of 17 Posts