Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was thinking since I only have an 8.8 I could swap a 9" rear. On a scale of 1-5 5 being the hardest how hard is this swap:wacko

·
Banned
18,238 Posts
Unbolting the U-joint is pretty easy. If you remove the brake backing plates from the old axle & install them on the new, you don't even have to mess with the hydraulics or e-brake cables - just hang them from the truck during the swap. That just leaves the leaf spring U-bolts, which require some torque, and rolling the axles around under the truck. If you have a good, strong, tall pair of jack stands, that's pretty easy (chock both front tires front & back, though). I'd put it at about 2, with rebuilding a slushbox being a 5.

But it's a bad swap - the 9" is no stronger (probably a little weaker) and you'll lose RABS. If you have an E4OD, it won't shift right.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would it be worth it with an aod

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Steve83 said:
If you want a slightly weaker, older axle, sure. :shrug
just for grins, what makes you think the 8.8 is stronger Steve?:popc1:

I've always liked the 8.8, but always have viewed it as the second best 1/2T axle, but close:

9" (king)
8.8 Ford Sterling
12bolt chevy close to 8.8
after that does not matter for fullsizes.

The 9" really is best if found with a nodular housing (like danas), though I think this is rare, and the 8.8, well, it needs more plug welds at the diff, and the tubes are just too thin.

·
Banned
18,238 Posts
I'm not gonna retype it all - search... :deal We had a MONSTER thread maybe a year ago with lots of photos & links.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Steve83 said:
I'm not gonna retype it all - search... :deal We had a MONSTER thread maybe a year ago with lots of photos & links.
We've had this discussion several times in the past. As I recall, you are the only one believing the 8.8 is better than a 9. I think 9 out of 10 folks on this site would be placing the 9" at the top (you being the single hold out). It's your opinion, and I'm not knocking the 8.8, but if he wants to swap to a 9" others have done it...Kemicalburns comes to mind, and he was much happier with his 9, and IMO this wouldn't be a bad swap if he doesn't have an E4OD and his 8.8 is giving him problems.

·
Banned
18,238 Posts
Shadofax said:
As I recall, you are the only one believing the 8.8 is better than a 9.
Search the thread up - you might be surprised.

Shadofax said:
I think 9 out of 10 folks on this site...
It wasn't that long ago that 10/10 people would tell you a) the earth is flat, b) men can't fly, c) men can't go to the moon, & d) faster-than-light communication/travel is impossible. Popular opinion has its uses, but it's not a good argument for something technical. Look at what was posted before.

I'm not saying the 8.8" leaves the 9" in the dust - just that I think it's either equal or slightly stronger.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Steve83 said:
Search the thread up - you might be surprised.

It wasn't that long ago that 10/10 people would tell you a) the earth is flat, b) men can't fly, c) men can't go to the moon, & d) faster-than-light communication/travel is impossible. Popular opinion has its uses, but it's not a good argument for something technical. Look at what was posted before.

I'm not saying the 8.8" leaves the 9" in the dust - just that I think it's either equal or slightly stronger.
And opinions are just that. I just look at the technical facts. And there is no way you will ever convince me the 8.8 is stronger. I have stood up for the 8.8 when people post stupid stuff like the 9" is 10x stronger and BS like that.

but 9 opinions are saying you're wrong, as are several sites "in love with the 9". I like the 8.8, but no...the 9" is a bit stronger. bigger ring/pinion, very beefy pinion with what I believe to be better bearing support, does not suffer from the 8.8 tubing issues, and several other items. Though the 8.8 is generally a good axle. I always liked mine.

·
Banned
18,238 Posts
You're talking about the version of the 8.8" under your truck, but I'm talking about the 8.8" in general. Not all of them have the thin tubes that our trucks do; not all of them have the thin axleshafts; not all of them have drums; not all of them use a leaf suspension; not all of them are even solid axles. If you ever get the chance, take a look at the 8.8" under an Expedition. The tubes look like a 10.25", and the shafts are close to that size, too.

But if you ONLY consider the actual R&P, I still think the 8.8" is stronger. It's pinion shaft is so much heavier, and its bearings are so much further apart, that it doesn't need the pilot bearing that the 9" desperately needs.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Why would it matter whether he had an E4OD or not? I don't think the E4OD was available in Broncos until 90 and he has an 89 but regardless the VSS is on the TC not the rear axle. So why would the E4OD matter if the VSS is on the Tranfer case?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts