Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to extend my axles to prevent tire rub. The only thing I've found is that there is a ford van with longer axles by an inch or two. Does dana make longer 44's or are there extensions or am i stuck leaving rubber on my frame?

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
No you cannot put bigger axles in without bigger housings. i think you may want to look at your backspacing, or into some wheel spacers

·
Registered
21 Posts
they make spacers to put behind your wheels........i heard they are hard on ball joints but i dont know if thats true or not

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Never heard of someone with 35's having frame rub. I'd say you just need to properly rebuild what you have, what, are you running like a 35x16.5 on 14's with stock backspacing?

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Never heard of someone with 35's having frame rub. I'd say you just need to properly rebuild what you have, what, are you running like a 35x16.5 on 14's with stock backspacing?
I wonder if he means the radius arms...??

Like mentioned, the backspacing on your wheel is going to help eliminate the rubbing. I would look to that before wheel spacers and would not even consider swapping for wider axles, for a TON of reasons (I dont even think its possible without swapping the entire axle assembly/ttb).

You can also adjust your turn stop screws to control how much your wheels turn. That would probably be the cheapest and easiest alternative to just minding how much you are turning the wheel and living with a little rubbage (many of us on here do exactly that)....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm running 35X12.5X15's I took off the sway bar and still have rubbing, it is on the radius arms though (I screwed that one up). I was looking for longer axles (complete setups) and I thought I could remember seeing dana 44's in a longer length that what they put under the bronco, It would have to be a complete axle swap but it would help with the rubbing. I looked at wheel spacers too but they didn't seem like they would be too reliable. A friend of mine told me that they make wheels at different depths to give you that extra space, I guess that what youre talkin about with "back spacing"? but i havent ever seen that as something you could choose.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
I'm running 35X12.5X15's I took off the sway bar and still have rubbing, it is on the radius arms though (I screwed that one up). I was looking for longer axles (complete setups) and I thought I could remember seeing dana 44's in a longer length that what they put under the bronco, It would have to be a complete axle swap but it would help with the rubbing. I looked at wheel spacers too but they didn't seem like they would be too reliable. A friend of mine told me that they make wheels at different depths to give you that extra space, I guess that what youre talkin about with "back spacing"? but i havent ever seen that as something you could choose.
any time you buy wheels you usually have tons of options on backspace/offset, you just need to understand what you have now and what you think you might need to resolve this. do a search on the 2 words and do some reading and you should begin to understand.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gotcha, Backspacing, So the less the back space the further out your wheels will be. Ya learn somethin new everyday. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
The other option you have is a wider wheel. If you think about it, your tire will center on the wheel. So if you put a 12" wide tire on a 10" wide wheel, the tire sticks out 1" on each side. (1" closer to your frame) But if you mount the same tire on a 14" wheel, it will actually be 2" further from your frame with the same back spacing. I'm running 38" tall by 15.5" wide tires on 14" wide wheels. Minor rubbing with a tight turning circle.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Gotcha, Backspacing, So the less the back space the further out your wheels will be. Ya learn somethin new everyday. Appreciate it.

yes. Backspacing is the easy one. More and more wheels these days are shown in "offset" so go look at that and try and understand it. Oh, this is often shown in milimeters as well, so you have to convert to understand what it means in inches.

Basically offset is the measurement of the wheel (rim) mounting surface from the center of the wheel. So an 8" wheel in theory has 0 offset at the center or 4".

The truth of the matter with offset though is that an 8" wheel is not an 8" wheel. If you measure rim edge to edge you end up with 9", thus the centerline is 4.5". so if you had a wheel BACKSPACING of 4.25", you end up with a -6mm offset (negative means the mounting surface is inward from the centerline). How's THAT for confusing?:banghead

1 - 12 of 12 Posts