Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Replacing the axle pivot bushings on my '81 and started with the passenger's side. Went down and rented a ball joint press.

Accessing the bushing was simple enough. Jacked up the driver's side and rested the frame on a jackstand so that the tire could hang freely. Undid the bolt, and it dropped right down into view. I thought it was going to be nice and straight forward.

Four hours later, I finally got the old bushing out. The rubber pressed out of the center and then I had to use a hammer and a chisel to pound it down small enough to get out.

When the rubber was pressed out, I could feel inside the metal sheath and it had flared when it was pressed in before (which is what made it so difficult to get out).

I figured the new one would be an easier job, but not so. I can't get it to go in. I'm damaging the rubber trying to press it in and it's scraping the metal off the sides of the new bushing.

One hole (toward the front) is bigger in diameter and the new bushing slips right in. However, the hole toward the rear feels like it is simply a few hundredths of an inch too small in diameter.

I'm not sure what to do aside from kinda/sorta putting the new joint in place and limping it down to a shop for them to finish it. Last thing I want to do is start all over again with the driver's side bushing.

Anyone else have any issues like this? Or any advice on what to do?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have you tried using a hammer to get the bushing started in the rear hole? It's supposed to be tight by design. Once you get it started, the proper combination of ball joint receivers and washers should be able to easily finish it off. I actually used just a 12" section of 1/2" all thread and an assortment of grade 8 washers to press them in. Be sure you use a big enough washer so that you aren't pushing only on the rubber. Should be no need to have a shop do this. If you got the old ones out, 80% of the hard work is done. Just don't skip the step of flaring the back of the new bushings after installation.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i couldnt get mine in either after hours of trying it kept going in crooked and jamming up looking back had i had an electric impact gun then it would have been alot easier but i got so tired of it going in crooked i ended up filing the very edge down so it tapers off and it fed in after that not sure if thats how you should go about it but it worked and its still working a year or so later

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I hadn't seen those Energy ones for sale anywhere. Where would you pick them up? Are those for the 87 - 96 style? (I know the ball joints were different, wasn't sure what else was).

The ones I got were MOOG.

So far, I haven't made it back to the bushings yet. I've been replacing my tie rod ends, and yesterday I tackled my ball joints, which I'd never done before. Not too bad overall. Still have the old, crunchy, axle u-joint to get out.

Hopefully after that, I'll have some more luck with the pivot bushing... I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong. Sounds like they're just a real PITA to get in and out. The carnage that it took to remove one just seemed excessive to me!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts