Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be replacing the axle pivot bushings on my truck this Friday when I install the BDS dropdown brackets for my lift. I have fabricated a tool using threaded rod to push the bushings in ant our of the sleeves. My question is does the outer metal sleeve need to be replaced? If so, how hard is it to get out and how snug should the new sleeve fit? Thanks

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
Sleeve should be replaced with the new bushings if I remember correctly. Just smash the unflared end where it folds two adds the inside then beat it out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How snug should the new sleeve fit? I'm assuming the new outer sleeve will expand slightly while pressing the new bushing into it or should be outer metal sleeve fit snug to begin with?

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
Press out. Press in. Should be simple as that. I know it's supposed to be snug. I think there is a write up on how to do this. I'm not 100% sure though. I need to do mine too.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got these done today, the first one (drivers side) was difficult and the other side was easy. On the drivers side I tried to make my own tool with a 22mm socket, 7/16" threaded rod, grade 8 bolts and washers, and a big spindle nut socket for my axles. Everything seemed to fit well but it took so much pressure to push the old bushing out of the sleeve that the back of the spindle nut socket caved in. After that I went to Autozone and rented (for free to get my deposit back upon return) a ball joint press. I pressed out the metal sleeve in the middle and then the rubber bushing which didn't come out easy. I then used an air chisel to fold the outer sleeve in to fit through the hole and gave a few taps with a 3lb sledge. The new sleeve needed to be pressed in, as well as the bushings. I was able to use the donut bushing on the back of the axle because it fit inside my BDS dropdown brackets (some people claim they left the donut off because it didn't fit. On the passenger side I smartened up and drilled some holes in the old rubber bushing before removing the inner sleeve, this made pressing the old rubber bushing out MUCH easier. I used the daystar bushings from bronco graveyard available at the link below. They fit very well and had no issues with assembly. I thank everyone who contributed to this thread, your knowledge and suggestions were very helpful!
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco.php/i-33140_daystar_axle_pivot_bushings___pair__black.html

·
Registered
816 Posts
I did mine, punched out the old metal sleeve, and then installed the new one with a ball joint press

1 - 7 of 7 Posts