Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
a.k.a.: BigDumbFord
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When shimming a front axle for a leaf spring setup.... whats the sharpest angle you would go on the Shim? I see the 2-4-6s degree shimms out there, but has anyone ran a 10 degree'r or better? A buddy of mine is building a buggy and it looks like the only way we are going to be able to hit the right pinion angle is to with more of a wedge than a shim... What do you guys think... ?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
The main reason you wouldnt want that much degree in a shim is caster. If its not a street truck than caster doesnt matter that much so you should be ok. If it needs to drive on the street youll probably have to cut the Cs of the end of the axles and rotate them so you have good pinion angle and appropriate caster, then you wont need any shims.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,033 Posts
When shimming a front axle for a leaf spring setup.... whats the sharpest angle you would go on the Shim? I see the 2-4-6s degree shimms out there, but has anyone ran a 10 degree'r or better? A buddy of mine is building a buggy and it looks like the only way we are going to be able to hit the right pinion angle is to with more of a wedge than a shim... What do you guys think... ?
I think you should avoid that if possible. Not only will you run into caster issues but I'd think you may also run into diff oiling issues at the pinion, and a "wedge" as you describe will be similar to a block up front. On a leaf sprung axle that will create potential for the block to loosen under the spring, possibly break, and the steering and side to side loads on the front axle will only add to this.

If you need the angle I think the better approach is to put new leaf perches on, and the best approach I suppose would be cutting the C's off, turning the axle and rewelding the C's, which sounds to me like a large job unless you have all the proper fab equipment, which is likely if your friend is doing a buggy.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Cut and turn the inner "C"s!

Why so much lift on a buggy that the pinion is that angled? Or are the spring mounts funky like Mark suggested?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.