Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant get the spindle nut that you use the 4 prong lug on off. Any idea's?
I have been trying to get it off for the last 2 hours...
Thanks a bunch in advance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
since this is a rotating tire is it reverse thread? or is it just like most every other nut/bolt...

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
It's a regular thread

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
heat and a big ass cheater bar
No, don't use heat.
get the socket on there and pressed in with something that will not move so the socket can not slip off... then whack the breaker bar with a dead blow hammer
That sounds good to me.:thumbup
I've never had to do more than push towards the nut with all my might and turn, but that is me...so far.
It really shouldnt be on that tite...
The second nut is torqued on pretty tight.
since this is a rotating tire is it reverse thread? or is it just like most every other nut/bolt...
If you have the two nut set up, it aint going any where. If you have the single ratcheting nut, I don't remember if they are left and right thread (depending on what side of vehicle you are talking about)or not.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
it shouldnt be that tight ft lb rating is 50lbs, is it cross threaded. i have seen this happen a bunch of times.
I don't have my manual handy , but I'm pretty sure the second nut is torqued to around 125 ftlbs.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
it shouldnt be that tight ft lb rating is 50lbs, is it cross threaded. i have seen this happen a bunch of times.
No, he's likely talking about the first (outer) nut, which is supposed to be on about 150ft/lbs or so, though I don't go that much just for this reason. I usually stick around 120.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
:stupid

And the inner nut only gets torqued to around that to seat the bearings, I don't even think it was that high, I'm thinking about 40 ft lbs. After that, it gets backed off a 1/4 turn.

·
In Front of Jopes
3,572 Posts
I tighten mine to 100 feet pounds, no problems, just loosing with a breaker bar and you are all set to disassemble.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
inner nut is 50lb and back off 90 outer is 150 to 200lbs

What i use is a chain link fence post

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can you turn it at all?

Got an impact gun?
I cant get it to turn either way at all. an no no impact wrench do you think it would help? I have to get to portland tomorrow sometime before like 2 im really trying to get this stupid thing up and going again.

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts
Why were you trying to turn it the wrong way to find out if you could???!! That tightens it!

An impact wrench would help big time. Just a couple trigger hits and it should loosen up.

I've put a jackstand under the socket so it doesnt fall out and then use a breaker bar so I can put more of my (lack of) weight on it.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
I cant get it to turn either way at all. an no no impact wrench do you think it would help? I have to get to portland tomorrow sometime before like 2 im really trying to get this stupid thing up and going again.
Were you the last one to put it on (so you at least know what you did in terms of torque), or is this a new vehicle to you where someone likely F***ed it up?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts