Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have dana 44 ford 9" in my 79 bronco. I am wanting to got 1 ton. I am gonna be running 38's-40's. what would be the best axles? I am on a budget to so that has to be a factor. Dana 44HD or Dana 60. Dana 60 rear or Sterling 10.25 I am so confused.

·
Registered
52 Posts
upgrade your gears and possibly axleshafts and i see no problems with running a set of 40's, correct me if im wrong. the way i look at it is why buy another set of axles not quite knowing their condition (unless you buy brand new) when you can build the ones you got to handle the abuse?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Forget the 44hd not much difference then the 44 you got

D60 front awsome axle

D60 rear not much stronger then the 9in

Sterling is just about bullet proof but can be expensive

If you dont have to have ford the 14 bolt is dirt cheap and everywhere just make sure you get one that is full float and they are just as strong as the sterling (usually can be found for 100.00 or so)

With no vss issues I would go D60 front and 14B rear

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Sterling 10.25 rear go for $150. Gears & a locker will run the price up. ditto disk brake conversion.

D-60 fronts go for around $600 & may or may not have gears & a locker. I have seen guys asking $1200 for a built one. He didn't get any bids. It was on Pirate.

You aren't going to do this on a budget unless you find a donor rotting in a field somewhere.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Those are good prices I see D60 fronts go for 1000.00 to 1300.00 stock all the time (Ford kingpin anyways)

Chevy's D60 tend to go for 600-800 in my area

I even see sterlings go for 300-500

I got my 14 bolt for 60.00 complete drum to drum with E-brake

·
yes
1,769 Posts
If I wanted chevy parts I would buy a Blazer.

Translation. BLUE OVAL PRIDE.
:stupid

I'm going D60 front and 10.25 rear.

Not to hijack but will i be pushing the axles if i run 44x19.5 boggers on them?

Every one on here will say 14 bolt if you wanna stay cheap but i prefer to not have the bow tie on my rig. Chevy guys will bust your balls over it. At least the Chevy guys i know.

Also from what i've read the 10.25 is just a direct swap (Besides driveshaft) pretty much and with the 14 bolt theres some fab work to do?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Can't help ya bud. They are good axles. Next step up is rockwells.

It depends alot on a) how much horsepower you are making b) Gear ratios c) auto or stick d) do you like ripping rubber off your tires OR are you like me - hate to walk out of the back country. e) What do you intend to use the truck for.

There are knowledgable people here that know the answer.

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Can't help ya bud. They are good axles. Next step up is rockwells.

It depends alot on a) how much horsepower you are making b) Gear ratios c) auto or stick d) do you like ripping rubber off your tires OR are you like me - hate to walk out of the back country. e) What do you intend to use the truck for.

There are knowledgable people here that know the answer.
When i do all the swaps and such i should have:
5-600HP
I'm thinking 4.56 or so...not sure yet...any one got any input?
auto
me no like to walkie...
mainly mud...and a little street...very little...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I'd say you are pushing it.

Why? Your horsepower is massive. Stick, granny low - massive amounts of skinny pedal.

On the plus side. You ain't gettin no grip in wet mud.

I think you can do it.

If you trash too many axles - upgrade to the mog or rocks.

I think you need minimum 4.88 or higher gears.

You might get more help over on pirate4X4. That's what they are all about. Extreme wheeling.

Hey it's only money right? How much fun do you want to have?

·
yes
1,769 Posts
I'd say you are pushing it.

Why? Your horsepower is massive. Stick, granny low - massive amounts of skinny pedal.

On the plus side. You ain't gettin no grip in wet mud.

I think you can do it.

If you trash too many axles - upgrade to the mog or rocks.

I think you need minimum 4.88 or higher gears.

You might get more help over on pirate4X4. That's what they are all about. Extreme wheeling.

Hey it's only money right? How much fun do you want to have?
I dont got stick...i got auto...but any ways...I was thinking the 4:56 because of the power that im gonna have...

I dont wanna have to baby this thing...Maybe ill just stick with smaller tires...what size would you all think would be the largest i could go?

BTW i dont like pirate to much thats why im here...

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
:stupid

I'm going D60 front and 10.25 rear.

Not to hijack but will i be pushing the axles if i run 44x19.5 boggers on them?
Hard core rock crawling maybe, mudding NO...........

1 - 20 of 39 Posts