Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the B&M shift improver kit. I looked on the posts under the search and some post tell you that these kit are "bad" for the E4OD tranny and other tell you there fine. My bronco is a 95 with a 302. It has 94,000 miles and the tranny runs like a top. I was hoping the trans pack would help with tranny life. What do you guys think?

I already have the bigger tranny pan and a monster size tranny cooler.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
i have heard both but i have no experience form using them. if you tranny is running like a top why put it on? I have hjeard they helped people with slipping gears and i have heard they have burned up some trannies.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
I put a shift kit in my Aod and I like the quicker shifts. Your tranny should last longer with a shift kit, I've never heard that thing about gears wearing out quicker.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
They're only 'bad' if the transmission is already failing, or has other problems. Shift kits typically 'speed up' the shift by eliminating the overlap (that slooshy, oh-so-smooth factory shift feel), usually done by modifications to the accumulator hydraulic circuits. Again, if the transmission is fine before the shift kit, it'll be fine afterwards, especially with a good name-brand kit like B&M's. My .02.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I also want to put one in my E4od. I hate the stock shifts it has. I have a kitted AOD in a full size van and LOVE the ferm shifts. I want that for the Bronco also.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
Shift kit will make it shift firmer which will make it last longer. The slow sloppy shift in a stock trans is actually the clutches slipping until it fully engages. When you get a firm shift you all but eliminate that slipping which makes them last longer. One will be going in mine real soon(with many other upgrades that have been put off for too long).

·
Registered
10 Posts
What exactly does a shift kit do?

The previous owner of my 89 said there was a shift kit, Im not very educated on cars so dont laugh...:rockon

·
Registered
319 Posts
ha ha, lol, sorry i couldnt help myself, from the factory your trans is made to slowly go into gear to make the illusion of a smoother ride, a shift kit just speeds it up so there is less down time between shifts, lot more jerky i guess u could say

1 - 12 of 12 Posts