Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I installed a B&M shiftplus kit in my ebay Bronco yesterday. This is the electronic plug in kit for the E4OD. I know it isn't the best kit, but I bought a tranny cooler and remote filter at the same time so I didn't have the budget for the factorytech valve body that is on my list.

Installation went fine and I took pics to do a write up if anyone would be interested.

When I switch it on I notice the idle gets rougher/weaker, like it is going to stall. When I goose the throttle it works great, shifts crisp, not bad for a plug in solution. The problem is when I lightly apply the throttle the engine stalls. If I apply moderate throttle the engine hesitates like it is going to die then revs up normally.

It was pouring yesterday when I was testing it out and after it stalled twice I couldn't restart the engine because I have a corroded neg battery cable that finally gave up. I had to push it a couple blocks in the rain. Don't worry, noone saw me.

Everything works fine when the module is off, it is only when I put it in stage 1 or 2 that the engine acts up.

Any ideas on this?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
I'd say it's shorting to ground somehow, or there's another wiring problem. All of your grounds must be in good shape for this, and the rest of the truck's controls, to work properly. There are several ground points around the engine bay; grab an 8mm wrench and some sandpaper.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK I triple checked the wires in the EEC-IV, replaced my bad neg battery cable that was shorting out, and cleaned up the grounds that I found.

when I turn it on my ABS light comes on and the idle drops, then the motor dies.

I'm going to try hooking it up to the transmission connector instead of the EEC-IV and see how that goes. B&M basically told me to take a hike, but summit said I can return it if it doesn't work.

Those scotchlok connectors kinda suck too.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Aren't scotchlok's for solid strand wire? I would imagine they would REALLY suck in an automotive environment.

I wouldn't use scotchloks for a permanent install. Get your self a good crimper or solder and heatshrink. Save headaches later on.

Cheers

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts